YAWLT: Max bench to BMI

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
***This thread isn't about the value of BMI. It's simply a ratio of weight to height and objective for the sake of this thread.***

It's essentially the HP/Liter argument in the automotive world, but is an interesting statistic that somewhat shows efficiency.

Simply take your max bench and divide it by your body weight.

BMI calculator can be found here:
http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/bminojs.htm

I'm 6' and weight 165 pounds. My BMI is 22.4.
My max bench is 185.

185/22.4 = 8.26

Nov 3, 2004
that doesn't make sense... 2 people could have the same BMI but one might be 5 feet tall and the other might be 7 feet tall. If they both benched the same they'd also have the same efficiency?

SilthDraeth

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2003
Originally posted by: vi_edit
***This thread isn't about the value of BMI. It's simply a ratio of weight to height and objective for the sake of this thread.***

It's essentially the HP/Liter argument in the automotive world, but is an interesting statistic that somewhat shows efficiency.

Simply take your max bench and divide it by your body weight.

BMI calculator can be found here:
http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/bminojs.htm

I'm 6' and weight 165 pounds. My BMI is 22.4.
My max bench is 185.

185/22.4 = 8.26

You said take your max bench, and divide by body weight. Then you took your max bench, and divided by your BMI.

Those are two completely different things.

Special K

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000
The problem with this is that your body type can make a huge difference in the biomechanics of the lift. Two lifters with the same BMI can have drastically different bench maxes if one guy is 6'6" and the other is 5'3", simply because the 6'6" guy must move the weight over a much greater ROM.

AbAbber2k

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005
Originally posted by: IAteYourMother
that doesn't make sense... 2 people could have the same BMI but one might be 5 feet tall and the other might be 7 feet tall. If they both benched the same they'd also have the same efficiency?

Originally posted by: Special K
The problem with this is that your body type can make a huge difference in the biomechanics of the lift. Two lifters with the same BMI can have drastically different bench maxes if one guy is 6'6" and the other is 5'3", simply because the 6'6" guy must move the weight over a much greater ROM.

BINGO!