YAW(iii)T - Wii Thread #8 billion

HermDogg

Golden Member
Jul 29, 2004
Yes, it's yet another Wii thread. Until very recently (like this morning), I have been highly looking forward to the Wii as a breath of fresh air from the current skewer towards producing bigger and better graphics and nothing else. And then I read this.

On Call of Duty 3 for the Wii,
Treyarch is trying to make it look as good as the PS3 or XBox 360, but their primary focus will be using the Wii controllers to change the gameplay from the other consoles.

This immediately made me think back to my DS - a revolutionary new way to play games. And don't get me wrong, I love the DS. I bought a PSP as well, and there's a reason I only have the DS now- the PSP had no games, load times took forever, and even though the graphics were better, was not a gaming machine. Then I remembered my purchase of Madden 06 for the DS- an absoltuely atrocious experience. The develoopers felt compelled for some reason to change the gameplay in order to make it a signature "DS" game - namely f**cking up the kicking game so badly I returned the game by making exclusive use of the touch screen. Nothing was wrong with the bar system that they've had forever, in every football game, but they still changed it. I also tried to play true swing golf, which did the same thing - changing the simple pushing of buttons to try and make me draw a line within boundaries.

And it got me to wondering - is the same thing going to happen with the Wii? I'm not worried so much about graphics performance, but gameplay. Revolutionary gameplay is all well and good, but when you're doing it JUST to be revolutionary, isn't there a much better chance of screwing it up?

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
i had the same reaction w/ metroid... i was very curious as to how an FPS would be played on the DS.... it was terrible IMO. The Wii I'm still unsure of... it all depends on how accurate the motion bar is. It has potention to be pretty damn good based on the zelda previews.

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
Originally posted by: randomlinh
it all depends on how accurate the motion bar is.

That's very true. However, I trust Nintendo to make sure that it works flawlessly, as I'm sure they know that this motion bar is basically the only thing that's going to keep them afloat this generation.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
i hated it when golf games went from the simple 3 button push to useing the mouse (on pc's anyway). I bought Tiger woods golf for the DS. you have to use the touchpad to fricken swing. I HATE IT. i never play it. it would have been great if i could do the classic 3 button push.

I also agree with you on the Wii. they may try so hard to be diffrent that it is worse.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Originally posted by: waggy
i hated it when golf games went from the simple 3 button push to useing the mouse (on pc's anyway). I bought Tiger woods golf for the DS. you have to use the touchpad to fricken swing. I HATE IT. i never play it. it would have been great if i could do the classic 3 button push.

I also agree with you on the Wii. they may try so hard to be diffrent that it is worse.

The only golf game to still use the 3 button method is hot shots. All of the tiger woods have been using the analog stick (pull back for back swing, push forward quick for your downswing) for the past 3 versions. It's a LOT better than the 3 button IMO.

I have only played True Swing golf on the DS and I think the control is great (you swing with the stylus).

We alrady know that COD3 won't look nearly as good on the Wii as on the PS3 and Xbox360. But let me ask you this ... why would you be excited about COD2 on the Wii if it was identical to the PS3 and Xbox360 version?

The beauty of the Wii is that it's not going to be the same old shlt we have been seeing over and over. I mean how many damn FPS games have we seen on the xbox and ps2, where the left analog stick is your movement, the right one is the direction, A jumps, R fires, L throws grenades, B ducks, etc ... and on top of that, it's WW2 scenario. I would need more than 2 hands to count the # of games that meet those requirements on the Sony and MS consoles.

I give Nintendo a lot of credit for forcing us to try new means to play games instead of the same old way we've been doing it for years. I think FPS will play perfect on the console, especially from the feedback of MP3 after E3.

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: HermDogg
Yes, it's yet another Wii thread. Until very recently (like this morning), I have been highly looking forward to the Wii as a breath of fresh air from the current skewer towards producing bigger and better graphics and nothing else. And then I read this.

On Call of Duty 3 for the Wii,
Treyarch is trying to make it look as good as the PS3 or XBox 360, but their primary focus will be using the Wii controllers to change the gameplay from the other consoles.

This immediately made me think back to my DS - a revolutionary new way to play games. And don't get me wrong, I love the DS. I bought a PSP as well, and there's a reason I only have the DS now- the PSP had no games, load times took forever, and even though the graphics were better, was not a gaming machine. Then I remembered my purchase of Madden 06 for the DS- an absoltuely atrocious experience. The develoopers felt compelled for some reason to change the gameplay in order to make it a signature "DS" game - namely f**cking up the kicking game so badly I returned the game by making exclusive use of the touch screen. Nothing was wrong with the bar system that they've had forever, in every football game, but they still changed it. I also tried to play true swing golf, which did the same thing - changing the simple pushing of buttons to try and make me draw a line within boundaries.

And it got me to wondering - is the same thing going to happen with the Wii? I'm not worried so much about graphics performance, but gameplay. Revolutionary gameplay is all well and good, but when you're doing it JUST to be revolutionary, isn't there a much better chance of screwing it up?

Well, a touchscreen isnt the most natural of control methods - the wii controller is a bit different.

The only thing I worry about is the havign to move to the edge of the screen to turn, but otherwise, the aiming should be top notch. I would imagine the pointer is pixel perfect...the super scope back in 1993 could track pixel perfect.

ndruw

Feb 7, 2006
Originally posted by: Aflac

That's very true. However, I trust Nintendo to make sure that it works flawlessly, as I'm sure they know that this motion bar is basically the only thing that's going to keep them ahead this generation.

fixed

Q

Lifer
Jul 21, 2005
I hope it's good, but I don't think it will be that great. It's going to be just like Gamecube IMO

Slew Foot

Lifer
Sep 22, 2005
I heard that Tiger Woods Golf is going to be made for the Wii. That could be potentially very interesting if done well.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Quintox
I hope it's good, but I don't think it will be that great. It's going to be just like Gamecube IMO

just curious ... whats your reasoning for thinking that way?

Thraxen

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
I think the wiimote is going to lead to some very creative games and will work well in many established genres, but I also feel its going to fall flat on its face in some genres. I think we will see a fair number of games where you will be able to tell that the developers really struggled to make the game work with the Wii controller.

Anyway, I hope that every game comes with an option to either use the wiimote or a standard controller because there are many times when I just want to sit around and relax when I play games (i.e. not be waving my arms around everywhere). Actually, that's usually the reason I'm playing games.

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
Originally posted by: ndruw

That's very true. However, I trust Nintendo to make sure that it works flawlessly, as I'm sure they know that this motion bar is basically the only thing that's going to keep them ahead this generation.

fixed

Point taken. If Nintendo makes this controller thing work, they'll have the hearts of basically every college gamer and quite a few families (exaggeration, but it's possible). If it doesn't work, they may go belly-up.

Thraxen

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
Point taken. If Nintendo makes this controller thing work, they'll have the hearts of basically every college gamer and quite a few families (exaggeration, but it's possible). If it doesn't work, they may go belly-up.

Nah... Nintendo is too business savvy to belly up. They always manage to pull profits even when it seems they are only producing crap. The handheld market is very big for them and they have a huge warchest of cash to work with. Nintendo is very good at bilking their audience without seeming to be doing so.

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: ndruw

fixed

Nintendo has so much cash in reserve, they could probably lose money for a decade and still survive.

People seem to consider the gamecube a failure, but I'm pretty sure that out of the three, nintendo is the only one actually making a *profit* on their systems.

I can't wait for the wii to come out. Finally, something new to play, instead of the same ol crap with one new feature and better graphics.

AbAbber2k

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005
Developers will have to know when and when not to make use of the Wii-mote. From what E3 had to offer I think the current devs know what they're doing. Time will tell though. I'm kind of stoked for the Wii Sports thing too, though my main reason for wanting a Wii is Mario/Zelda.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: waggy

How does Tiger Woods on GameCube/PS2/Xbox work? I hate the Mario golf game for GameCube because it still uses multiple button pushes and the shot targetting seemed to suck. I love the way Outlaw Golf does it - you use one of the two analog sticks for your swing.

I tried the 007 FPS on DS and I hated the control scheme. But then again I was trying to use my thumb, it might have been better if I used the stylus and thumbstrap.

Mrvile

Lifer
Oct 16, 2004
With third party developers there will be the usual set of hit and misses, but I think the best games will come straight from Nintendo...take the Gamecube, for instance. Most third party games for it sucked, but Nintendo games continued to deliver, even on an aged console like the Cube.

Mrvile

Lifer
Oct 16, 2004
Originally posted by: ruffilb
They can always fall back on the regular settings.

With the Wii, there's not going to be much to fall back on. The 360 and PS3 are much more powerful than the Wii will be, and if the Wii doesn't make the cut with it's revolutionary yet wary new style of gameplay, Microsoft and Sony will undeniably be ahead. Nintendo is taking a huge risk with this new system, but from the E3 press conference it looks like they know what they're doing.