YATT: hotel stays

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Had a great stay at the Gran Miramar in Malaga Spain. When we arrived they took our luggage up to the room and house keeping met us there to turn down our beds and let us make pillow selections. Valet parked the car, asked for some ice to be sent to the room, and got two massages. Service was fantastic top to bottom. And? Not a single tip needed anywhere - not even an awkward pause after they showed us how to operate some of the features of the room. To be honest I found it even more relaxing to have no expectations of tips. And the service certainly didn't suffer at all for it.

I really wish we could get rid of tipping. But I don't see that happening anytime soon

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
It's always amazing how the US has to be the exception to all sorts of stupid shit...tips,metric system etc etc

Reactions: Zorba

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Had a great stay at the Gran Miramar in Malaga Spain. When we arrived they took our luggage up to the room and house keeping met us there to turn down our beds and let us make pillow selections. Valet parked the car, asked for some ice to be sent to the room, and got two massages. Service was fantastic top to bottom. And? Not a single tip needed anywhere - not even an awkward pause after they showed us how to operate some of the features of the room. To be honest I found it even more relaxing to have no expectations of tips. And the service certainly didn't suffer at all for it.

I really wish we could get rid of tipping. But I don't see that happening anytime soon
Tipping-fatigue-is-real-but-businesses-may-not-care:

People think it’s manipulative, they resent it, and their perceptions of service go down

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Tips and the Metric System are just 2 of the .....

As an American, I agree with all of them except:

Writing the date beginning with the month.
This just makes sense. When somebody asks you the date, you don't say, "15th of March" like a book-learned smarty pants, you say, "March 15th".

Using the imperial system of measurement instead of the metric system.
Imperial is just better. Get over it.

Expecting free refills everywhere we get a drink.

Non-Americans probably spend as much on drink refills as we do on tipping. #merica

Using a lot of water in the toilet bowls.

They're probably confused because of the metric system, another reason why it sucks. #getoverit

Taking leftover food home from a restaurant.

Waste not, want not.

• Haha
Reactions: KMFJD

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
As an American, I agree with all of them except:

Writing the date beginning with the month.
This just makes sense. When somebody asks you the date, you don't say, "15th of March" like a book-learned smarty pants, you say, "March 15th".

Using the imperial system of measurement instead of the metric system.
Imperial is just better. Get over it.

Expecting free refills everywhere we get a drink.

Non-Americans probably spend as much on drink refills as we do on tipping. #merica

Using a lot of water in the toilet bowls.
They're probably confused because of the metric system, another reason why it sucks. #getoverit

Taking leftover food home from a restaurant.
Waste not, want not.
Taking leftovers I think goes with the next item, the relatively much larger portion sizes in the US.

I agree with the OP, tipping sucks. What really gets me is in places that server's minimum wage has been increased to $15/hr and they still expect a 20% tip. Or somewhere like Disney World where a buffet cost $60pp, then they expect a 20% tip on top of that. Fuck that, why should the person at Disney get $12pp while the person at Golden Corral get $2pp for the same work especially when the Disney restaurants will be full all day everyday.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Taking leftovers I think goes with the next item, the relatively much larger portion sizes in the US.

Whenever I'm out in middle-ish America I sometimes forget that everything is jumbo sized and get weird looks when I only finish about half my food.

I ordered a half portion of a pasta dish recently and it was easily twice the size of anything I've been served in Europe.

Our portions are out of control here.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Date should be yyyy-mm-dd. It not only makes logical sense, it naturally sorts in computer file systems.
It depends on what you are doing with it. For things that are going to archived for decades, I agree with you. I support a lot of things design in the 40s-60s and the dates are Y-MM-DD, unless they are DD-MM-Y, but it's never labeled which way. So you get a date like 9-6-7, no idea which decade, no idea if the year is the 9 or the 7, etc. It's very annoying. Even today you get a mix of DD-MM-YYYY and MM-DD-YYYY usually with no indication of which was used.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Whenever I'm out in middle-ish America I sometimes forget that everything is jumbo sized and get weird looks when I only finish about half my food.

I ordered a half portion of a pasta dish recently and it was easily twice the size of anything I've been served in Europe.

Our portions are out of control here.
Most higher end restaurants I have been to we usually order an appetizer or two to share, then entrees, and usually have room for desert, and we don't take any food home. This is typically when we are on vacation out of the country but have had the same experiences at higher end restaurants in the USA.

I must more prefer to have that kind of experience, regardless of if I'm paying $50 for the whole meal of $300 for the whole meal.

It's hard to get this kind of meal in the USA at any old normal restaurant. Usually you are taking food home and don't even have room for desert because the portions are so god damn big.

My wife stopped by Wendy's on the way home the other day and grabbed me a combo. I told her to get me a medium combo. When she got home and I saw the cup size I was like "this is a medium?!?" and she said yeah. Then the size of the fries lol. I can't believe it was a medium.

And people wonder why we have an obesity problem in the USA.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
It depends on what you are doing with it. For things that are going to archived for decades, I agree with you. I support a lot of things design in the 40s-60s and the dates are Y-MM-DD, unless they are DD-MM-Y, but it's never labeled which way. So you get a date like 9-6-7, no idea which decade, no idea if the year is the 9 or the 7, etc. It's very annoying. Even today you get a mix of DD-MM-YYYY and MM-DD-YYYY usually with no indication of which was used.
That's why I always do 10JAN2023, and the like. No ambiguity whatsoever.

Also, ya'll crazy. I consider a hotel with indoor rooms fancy.