YATT: Gen-Z and Millennials are the Worst Tippers

Nov 8, 2012
It's just funny because of the stereotypes - young people are the ones who seem to advocate and talk about how important tipping is. They were raised on a culture of tipping for everything -

Buy a coffee? Give a tip.
Go to a sandwich shop and buy a sandwich? Give a tip.
Use UberEats or other meal delivery? Leave a BIG tip! They are essential workers!
Buy a cookie? Leave a tip.

One would have thought that GenZ/Millennials would tip the most, Gen X would be in the middle, and Boomers would tip the least. Turns out - it's quit the opposite. Millennials and Gen-Z tip the least. I thought old boomers were the ones that groan about tipping?

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
It's pretty much as I expected.
The survey also found that 84% of higher-income households (annual household income of over $80K) who go to sit-down restaurants always tip the waitstaff, versus 77% of middle-income households (annual HHI between $40K and $80K) and 65% of lower-income households (annual HHI under $40K). This may help to explain the age breakdowns, as older adults generally have higher incomes.

“We see a really strong correlation between income and tipping,” Rossman said. “So I do think that Gen Zers and millennials will become better tippers as they age. That's something that we've seen in other areas of finance as well.”

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
You Xers will not be able to use your age jealously against millennials forever. Soon, we too will no longer "look young" and join you old ignored, lonely folks.

But maybe you wanted someone to redirect the thread to "black people don't tip". (it's kinda true, not always)

Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
You Xers will not be able to use your age jealously against millennials forever. Soon, we too will no longer "look young" and join you old ignored, lonely folks.

But maybe you wanted someone to redirect the thread to "black people don't tip". (it's kinda true, not always)

Bad news millennials ... its ALREADY too late! :D

Also ALL stereo-types contain grains of truth in their origins.

;)

*(not SOME of them ... ALL of them including the politically incorrect ones)

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Hopefully by the time Gen Z it's older tipping will be a dead institution.

That said, I tip much better now that my income is higher.

Reactions: nakedfrog

Stiff Clamp

Feb 3, 2021
Glad to hear it. Society needs a reset. People tipping for too many services these days. Plus service industry is attempting to pressure us into higher percentages. Time to crack down and lower expectations.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Tipping needs to die. Just raise the prices and pay the employees a reasonable wage. Everywhere I go asks for tip these days.

Reactions: Zorba

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Tipping needs to die. Just raise the prices and pay the employees a reasonable wage. Everywhere I go asks for tip these days.
Just ignore, and don’t give in to the pressure. I have love and hate relationship with tipping. I tip generously in socially required situations when I receive good/excellent service. But I will also not tip or tip shitty if I receive poor service and I think it’s servers fault. Don’t reward people for doing shitty job. Let the system work like it should. And ignore all the beggars with tip jars out in industries where tips are not customary.

Nov 8, 2012

What really just annoys me is when it's a place that....

1) Shouldn't be tipping in the first place - such as a sandwich shop where I go to the counter to make an order - and I pick the item up. I was given a product, a service wasn't performed for me. It's not like if I go to a sandwich shop and I order an italian that they hand me everything and then I'm expected to construct the end product myself.

but 2) They give me a receipt with a tip line before I even received the item. Uhmmm, how do you tip based on a product (or "service" if you want to call it that) that you haven't received?

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
which is funny cuz their generation is complaining the most about a lack of living wages.

Assholes.

ASSHOLES!!

• Haha

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
What really just annoys me is when it's a place that....

1) Shouldn't be tipping in the first place - such as a sandwich shop where I go to the counter to make an order - and I pick the item up. I was given a product, a service wasn't performed for me. It's not like if I go to a sandwich shop and I order an italian that they hand me everything and then I'm expected to construct the end product myself.

but 2) They give me a receipt with a tip line before I even received the item. Uhmmm, how do you tip based on a product (or "service" if you want to call it that) that you haven't received?
#2 is how door dash is, stupid. How do I have any idea how good my service will be before I even got order?

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Really annoys me when people that have high minimum wages for servers and then still have required "tips" of 20%.

It's high wage or tip, not both, IMHO.

Nov 8, 2012
#2 is how door dash is, stupid. How do I have any idea how good my service will be before I even got order?

So I haven't used Doordash more than a few times, but I'm guessing UberEats is similar - you select a default tip when placing the order... It will charge that tip ~30m or an hour after the order arrives to you. But I believe you can go in to the order and change the tip at anytime before or after the delivery as long as it's before that 30m or hour threshold where it fully closes out the order.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
So I haven't used Doordash more than a few times, but I'm guessing UberEats is similar - you select a default tip when placing the order... It will charge that tip ~30m or an hour after the order arrives to you. But I believe you can go in to the order and change the tip at anytime before or after the delivery as long as it's before that 30m or hour threshold where it fully closes out the order.
Interesting, we very rarely use it and it's always my wife that messes with, will have to look at that.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Interesting, we very rarely use it and it's always my wife that messes with, will have to look at that.
Uber Eats gives you up to one hour after your delivery to adjust the tip for the delivery person. I tip partially based on distance/time to get to me. If it took more time to get to me due to being farther away and traffic, I give more.

I try to avoid those services though, they are quite predatory to the restaurants.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Really annoys me when people that have high minimum wages for servers and then still have required "tips" of 20%.

It's high wage or tip, not both, IMHO.
Why are you heartless? :D. Everyone deserves ATOT minimum of $100k a year. That’s what I’ve been told. Or else you’re cruel and evil human being.

• Haha

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Uber Eats gives you up to one hour after your delivery to adjust the tip for the delivery person. I tip partially based on distance/time to get to me. If it took more time to get to me due to being farther away and traffic, I give more.

I try to avoid those services though, they are quite predatory to the restaurants.
Yeah, I rarely do delivery of any type of food. But I tip them well and based on distance as well, more for putting the wear and tear on their car and dealing with driving.

Most restaurants I'd rather just be my own server.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
It's pretty much as I expected.
The survey also found that 84% of higher-income households (annual household income of over $80K) who go to sit-down restaurants always tip the waitstaff, versus 77% of middle-income households (annual HHI between $40K and $80K) and 65% of lower-income households (annual HHI under $40K). This may help to explain the age breakdowns, as older adults generally have higher incomes.

“We see a really strong correlation between income and tipping,” Rossman said. “So I do think that Gen Zers and millennials will become better tippers as they age.

ah ha ha ha ha yeah we won't. Because our generations' share of the wealth is a fraction compared to what boomers had when they were the same age. We graduated into a recession, had all our gains since wiped out by the current recession and between stagnant wages, skyrocketing home prices, healthcare costs and tuition fees, coupled with strong union busting and other bullshit, I think it's safe to say that tips are only going to worsen with age.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
ah ha ha ha ha yeah we won't. Because our generations' share of the wealth is a fraction compared to what boomers had when they were the same age. We graduated into a recession, had all our gains since wiped out by the current recession and between stagnant wages, skyrocketing home prices, healthcare costs and tuition fees, coupled with strong union busting and other bullshit, I think it's safe to say that tips are only going to worsen with age.
They already raised tip percentages. Now they want 20% for good, 18% for average, and 22% for great. That’s on top of menu prices which have increased by decent amount in recent years, especially post COVID.

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005

if you have had all your investment gains wiped out by the current market, you are doing something very very wrong.

i'm a millennial. I started my career in 2008. my investments are awesome.

a lot of those things are true, home prices, tuition, etc. but everyone of us should have been taking advantage of those rising costs instead of complaining about everything and how its not fair. too many 5 dollar coffees and not enough money management skills.

we tip really well for great service. and continued to do that at our favorite places during the shutdowns.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
if you have had all your investment gains wiped out by the current market, you are doing something very very wrong.

i'm a millennial. I started my career in 2008. my investments are awesome.

a lot of those things are true, home prices, tuition, etc. but everyone of us should have been taking advantage of those rising costs instead of complaining about everything and how its not fair. too many 5 dollar coffees and not enough money management skills.

we tip really well for great service. and continued to do that at our favorite places during the shutdowns.
Ever consider that not everyone had the same life circumstances you did?

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
Ever consider that not everyone had the same life circumstances you did?

sure, I do, and I am grateful that I was able to work 3 jobs while getting an engineering degree at a state school that was not too expensive, and willing to take any job when I graduated.
I am also grateful for the advise and financial education I gained living in a home with parents that owned small business.

also
I get tired of people blaming the last generation for all their problems, and brushing my whole generation with it. I am equally as tired of other generations calling millennials lazy or anything else. from what I see, there are just as many hard working/smart/etc people as any other generation.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I'm Gen X, I remember when it was our turn in the barrel :p
We were "slackers" too.