YATT: Gen-Z and Millennials are the Worst Tippers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
Minimum wage here is over $15/hr and burger flippers are making $18/hr to start. Giving 20% to someone who removed the cap from a bottle of beer or brings me a 'burger and refills my coke once is absurd when a burger/fries has inflated to over $15 to begin with.

No one is getting a tip on anything to-go!

Reactions: Zorba

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Bad news millennials ... its ALREADY too late! :D

ALL stereo-types contain grains of truth in their origins. ;)

*(not SOME of them ... ALL of them including the politically incorrect ones)
I delivered many pizzas to many . I can't say all of them zero'd me. But a substantial amount did. Enough to leave the impression to not to be too surprised. The same area had loads of Hispanics and they didn't leave me with as poor of an impression.

Delivery driving certainly lets the driver survey the area in depth, and see all the businesses, multifamily structures, etc that are present but often ignored.

Poor Xers, too old to identify with Britney Spears or Pokemon but too young to also identify with Jane Fonda, hippies, and free love. Ninjas, you Xers are.
(Well, you guys can id with Star Wars. Skywalker generation, perhaps?)

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I delivered many pizzas to many . I can't say all of them zero'd me. But a substantial amount did. Enough to leave the impression to not to be too surprised. The same area had loads of Hispanics and they didn't leave me with as poor of an impression.

Delivery driving certainly lets the driver survey the area in depth, and see all the businesses, multifamily structures, etc that are present but often ignored.

Poor Xers, too old to identify with Britney Spears or Pokemon but too young to also identify with Jane Fonda, hippies, and free love. Ninjas, you Xers are.
(Well, you guys can id with Star Wars. Skywalker generation, perhaps?)
We got Nintendo, and the internet when it was still good, so... I think we did alright.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Tipping needs to die. Just raise the prices and pay the employees a reasonable wage. Everywhere I go asks for tip these days.
You know server staff actually PREFER the tip model because they make way more money usually.

Small businesses can't afford to pay $20-25/hr to match what they're pulling. Tipping is basically crowd sourcing money for servers.

Man, 20 years ago (wtf, I can type 20 now? getting old), I worked at TGI Fridays as a waiter. I averaged $15/hr back then in tips... adjusting for inflation that's $23/hr today.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
You know server staff actually PREFER the tip model because they make way more money usually.

Small businesses can't afford to pay $20-25/hr to match what they're pulling. Tipping is basically crowd sourcing money for servers.

Man, 20 years ago (wtf, I can type 20 now? getting old), I worked at TGI Fridays as a waiter. I averaged $15/hr back then in tips... adjusting for inflation that's $23/hr today.
I say it depends on what occupation and where the job is located.

Some hot chick in a job in a high income neighborhood is going to reel in much more than a middle aged dude in a more lower middle class or working class area.

Also, as I understand it, if the tips do not cover enough to make min wage, the employers has to credit the paycheck enough so that min wage is indeed reached. That's happened to me when I worked for Dominos. Dominos and the rest of the pizza places screwed up tips for their drivers since they charge a delivery charge, which is separate from the tip.

Sometimes I've picked up so-called trash I saw during the day while delivering. Even got an old lawnmower that simply had nasty water in the gas tank.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I generally eat at same places so I usually get good to excellent service. I don’t go back if I have two bad service in a row. I’m currently boycotting my favorite Japanese sushi restaurant. I had bad service there two times in a row. Probably spent about $1k-$1.5k month there every month for years. Their loss.

PowerEngineer

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2001
While it is always dangerous to generalize, I'll suggest that every generation starts out being poor/low tippers and become more generous as they accumulate wealth over the years. Personally, I tip more now just because I imagine that many of these restaurant workers were hit hard by the COVID shutdowns.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
We always tip at least 20% but that seems too little considering most of these servers are single and probably also raising a kid. And note the cars parked in the employee parking lot, barely running on four wheels. So for me 40 - 50% is always the tip I tip. And now a day with so much food to go orders instead of sit down dinning, those servers are really hurting so I always give a good tip for orders to go. After all, they did package the food and included the condiments, so that is worth something. Plus, with all the restaurants and fast food so short staffed unable to find workers, just be thankful someone is still willing to work. And tip them accordingly. Twice now it broke my heart when I tipped generously and the waitress broke down in tears "Thank you, I needed this so much". What do you say to that?

Just imagine if all the restaurants and fast food were closed due to lack of staffing? And you have to actually cook.... yourself.... at home....? The mess, the time involved, the clean-up, the crappy tasting food because I hate my cooking. Well then, isn't it worth a generous tip to keep the establishment open so you don't have to cook yourself? Priceless! ;)

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
We always tip at least 20% but that seems too little considering most of these servers are single and probably also raising a kid. And note the cars parked in the employee parking lot, barely running on four wheels. So for me 40 - 50% is always the tip I tip. And now a day with so much food to go orders instead of sit down dinning, those servers are really hurting so I always give a good tip for orders to go. After all, they did package the food and included the condiments, so that is worth something. Plus, with all the restaurants and fast food so short staffed unable to find workers, just be thankful someone is still willing to work. And tip them accordingly. Twice now it broke my heart when I tipped generously and the waitress broke down in tears "Thank you, I needed this so much". What do you say to that?

Just imagine if all the restaurants and fast food were closed due to lack of staffing? And you have to actually cook.... yourself.... at home....? The mess, the time involved, the clean-up, the crappy tasting food because I hate my cooking. Well then, isn't it worth a generous tip to keep the establishment open so you don't have to cook yourself? Priceless! ;)
Yeah, 50% at IHOP is probably fair.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Why are you heartless? :D. Everyone deserves ATOT minimum of $100k a year. That’s what I’ve been told. Or else you’re cruel and evil human being.

The ATOT minimum wage was around $100K 15 years ago, Ponyo! It's gotta be up to at least $150K now :)

I mean, those Cybertrucks don't pay for themselves, ya know. That old BMW M3 of Infinity G35 that they bought back in the day isn't going to give them much trade-in value, either.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
It's just funny because of the stereotypes - young people are the ones who seem to advocate and talk about how important tipping is. They were raised on a culture of tipping for everything -

Buy a coffee? Give a tip.
Go to a sandwich shop and buy a sandwich? Give a tip.
Use UberEats or other meal delivery? Leave a BIG tip! They are essential workers!
Buy a cookie? Leave a tip.

One would have thought that GenZ/Millennials would tip the most, Gen X would be in the middle, and Boomers would tip the least. Turns out - it's quit the opposite. Millennials and Gen-Z tip the least. I thought old boomers were the ones that groan about tipping?

stop tipping in states/cities that mandate greater than fed minimum wage (ie: 7.25/hr) for ALL workers?

Nov 8, 2012
stop tipping in states/cities that mandate greater than fed minimum wage (ie: 7.25/hr) for ALL workers?
Common misconception amongst the general public (courtesy of restaurant workers that tell these lies) is that their employers pay them under the minimum wage (7.25) and can instead pay them only 2.16 or whatever it is.

That is 100% a false statement. If a 24/7 restaurant worker that works the night shift gets 0 customers - or just gets 0 in tips the employer legally must pay them the federal minimum wage (7.25) - or the state minimum - whichever is higher - regardless of the state.