YATT: Capital loss question

FP

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
Which would be better in this hypothetical tax situation given the following facts...

In the current tax year you have:
1. $6000 in realized capital losses
2. $6000 in unrealized long-term capital gains
3. 33% tax bracket (assume it won't change in the next 5 years)

Here are the two options:

1. "Realize" the $6000 in long-term captial gains which will be negated (in terms of taxes) by the $6000 loss.

2. Leave my gains "unrealized" and take a $3000 loss for the next 2 years?

The way I see it is if I realize my $6000 gains I will only be "saving" 15% (the tax rate of long-term captial gains) of the $6000 (ie $900).

If I just take a $3000 loss for the next 2 years I will be "saving" 33% per year (ie $2000).

Is my thinking correct?

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Can you guarantee the $6000 in gains will be there 2 years from now?

FP

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
Originally posted by: CPA

No, but let's assume for brevity sake they will be.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Is it time to take the capital gain and match it with your loss? If its a good investment, it might be better to hold on to it and let it grow over the next two years.

If its a fat, bloated (overvalued) pig - sell! $2000 in tax savings today > tomorrow.

If you are itemizing too much with your kind of income you might already be getting hit with the AMT, in which it might affect things. I dont pay AMT so you might want to look into that.

FP

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
Originally posted by: FelixDeKat
Is it time to take the capital gain and match it with your loss? If its a good investment, it might be better to hold on to it and let it grow over the next two years.

If its a fat, bloated (overvalued) pig - sell! $2000 in tax savings today > tomorrow.

If you are itemizing too much with your kind of income you might already be getting hit with the AMT, in which it might affect things. I dont pay AMT so you might want to look into that.

Can you explain how cashing out would be a $2000 tax savings today? Wouldn't it just be a $900 savings (15% * $6000)

EDIT: Thanks for the help btw.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: binister
Originally posted by: FelixDeKat

Can you explain how cashing out would be a $2000 tax savings today? Wouldn't it just be a $900 savings (15% * $6000)

EDIT: Thanks for the help btw.

I simply took $6000 gain * .33 (your bracket - Im assuming this was a short term gain) = $1980. Matching this with your loss = no tax or a $2k savings.

If the asset was held for more than one year then your max tax rate is .15%, which would only be a savings of $990 max. It you think the asset is worth holding, it might be better to get the $2000 over time and then recognize the gain.

The long term rate has caveats, I found some info here: http://invest-faq.com/articles/tax-cap-gains-rates.html

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since your premise basically includes a put on the gainer, harvest the gain now to set against your loss and buy back 31 days later (to avoid a wash sale).

FP

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
Originally posted by: glenn1
quote:

Since your premise basically includes a put on the gainer, harvest the gain now to set against your loss and buy back 31 days later (to avoid a wash sale).

Wouldn't the loss be more valuable to me if I simply reduce my taxable income by $3000 for the next 2 years?

FWIW, this couldn't be a wash sale as the stocks that generated the loss are no longer on the market.