YASTT: Technicality question about a speeding ticket

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
I got a speeding ticket on Monday and frankly I was speeding so I was originally planning on paying until something I noticed on my way home today. The ticket was issued by the County police but I believe they did it in a place they don't have jurisdiction. In Virginia in addition to counties we have some independent cities. They basically run themselves just like a county with their own school systems and their own police force. The place they had the radar trap set up was in the city limits where they are not supposed to have jurisdiction. I am just curious how something like this would be handled in court.

TechnoKid

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2001
Would not the county police have to "foward" the ticket to your local city or something like that? Call your local city courthouse and find out. Or call the county courthouse.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Slacker
The city is in the county, not exclusive of it.

No, he wasnt IN the county. he was in a city that doesn't have a county. We call that unincorporated in illinois, but police do have jurisdiction anyways here.

Slacker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
To be sure, we would need more info, if it is Manassas he is talking about, then it is in Prince William county, The Prince William county police dept and government center are in Manassas.

MacBaine

Banned
Aug 23, 2001
Originally posted by: TallBill
The city is in the county, not exclusive of it.

No, he wasnt IN the county. he was in a city that doesn't have a county. We call that unincorporated in illinois, but police do have jurisdiction anyways here.

Unincorporated areas are not part of a town, but they are a part of the county. They are served by the county sheriff... so most likely this ticket was valid.

<-- Illinois resident... exgirlfriend lived in unincorporated area outside my town, only police service was from county sheriff's police.

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
To be sure, we would need more info, if it is Manassas he is talking about, then it is in Prince William county, The Prince William county police dept and government center are in Manassas.

That is true but trust me they are separate entities. The city is the historical county seat but has been completely independent of the county since it's incorporation as an independent city. What happened is analagous to getting a ticket in Fairfax County by a Prince William County officer.

VirginiaDonkey

Golden Member
May 18, 2001
Are you sure it was in Manassas and not in PW county? Around Manassas the city/county limits are really weird. Tell us where you got the ticket at and we can be sure.

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
Originally posted by: gotey
Are you sure it was in Manassas and not in PW county? Around Manassas the city/county limits are really weird. Tell us where you got the ticket at and we can be sure.

If they have the boundry signs located correctly then I am sure. I was on the 234 bypass where it crosses over Nokesville Road. Supposedly the city line is a bit north of Nokesville Road in this area. If you look at this map I was traveling south on 234 and the radar trap was setup where Gateway Drive goes under the highway. That is definitely inside the city limits if the map and signs on the road are correct. You notice there is an entrance ramp coming up off of eastbound Nokesville Road to 234 south. They were in the white lined triangle of that entrance ramp where it merges with 234 south.