YAST: Black Widow at my house *pics*

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Emrys

Golden Member
Jul 5, 2002
Found a nest of black widows in New Mexico while doing a service project at Philmont(scout camp). Really cool- there were a couple of them around the area.

aircooled

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Originally posted by: aircooled
Originally posted by: Electric Amish
Actually, it's a Redback which is a relative of the widow.
Edit: your link shows that it may actually be a redback, but other info says only the widow had the hourglass..hmmm
SIMILAR GROUPS: (1) All other spiders lack a hourglass-shaped or split hourglass-shaped marking on underside of abdomen and/or comb of serrated bristles on last tarsal segment of 4th pair of legs and 8 eyes with 2 lateral pairs almost touching.
maybe a real Widow, maybe a male? (link)

Originally posted by: NitemareTurn him over then take a picture. We want to see it...
OK

Underside hourglass 1

Underside hourglass 2

aircooled

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Edit: your link shows that it may actually be a redback, but other info says only the widow had the hourglass..hmmm
SIMILAR GROUPS: (1) All other spiders lack a hourglass-shaped or split hourglass-shaped marking on underside of abdomen and/or comb of serrated bristles on last tarsal segment of 4th pair of legs and 8 eyes with 2 lateral pairs almost touching.
maybe a real Widow, maybe a male? (link)

Originally posted by: NitemareTurn him over then take a picture. We want to see it...
OK

Underside hourglass 1

Underside hourglass 2

aircooled

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Edit:
Must be a real Widow, maybe a male? (link)

OK

Underside hourglass 1

Underside hourglass 2

aircooled

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Maybe a real Widow, maybe a male? (link)

OK

Underside hourglass 1

Underside hourglass 2

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Nitemare

"Male Redback Spiders do not produce a web, but may be found on the fringe of a female's web, especially during the summer mating season. The male has to make overtures to the female to discover whether she is ready to mate, which can prove fatal if she mistakes him for prey. It has been found that in order to occupy the female's attention during mating, the male spider offers her his abdomen by standing on his head and 'somersaulting' his abdomen towards her mouthparts. The female begins to squirt digestive juices onto the male's abdomen while the first palp is inserted. If he is not too weak, he will manage to withdraw, and then insert the second palp. She will continue to 'digest' his abdomen. Most males do not survive this process, which seems to be unique to Latrodectus hasselti. "

What a way to go
Spider sex pwnz j00!

prvteye2003

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2003
I killed at least 10 of these around my house last summer but only killed 2 this year. I hate those damn things.

aircooled

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Originally posted by: her209
im glad i don't live in an area where the brown recluse is common

My aunt got bit in the foot by a recluse. It was in her shoe. It was nasty for a long time.