YART: Roommate dilemma resolved. I pay utilities up to $30/month.

imported_Tomato

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2002
Ugh. I'm really not liking my roommates right now.

When I first began searching for new roommates, I placed an ad offering the place for $630/month, which would include all utilities. I felt this was fair, as I would be getting a bigger room, and therefore willing to pay a bit more. Each person would receive:

1. Private bedroom
2. Private bathroom
3. Private gated parking space
4. Ideal location in West LA, just 30 seconds from the 10, close to Venice/Santa Monica/UCLA, etc.

Over 30 people answered my ad, and I asked the two roommate I would be interested in if they would be willing to pay $650/month, including all utilities. They said of course, they would be willing to pay $20/more, and I chose them to live with me. They insisted on installing DSL, which I never use (I get enough computer glare from my screen at work 9 hours a day!), but which I agreed to pay for 1/3 of.

This month, they each gave me a check for $600. I wondered about the other $50, but didn't say anything... our montly rent is $1800. It turns out they only gave me $600 because "they thought the rent was lowered." Meaning, they "thought" the $650 they were going to pay in the beginning was for rent and rent alone (assuming rent was $1,950/month), and they ASSUMED I was going to pay for all utilities (I stated that all utilities would be included in my initial ad, but that was what the extra $50 was in there for!).

This month, rent was $1800/month, total. Utilities (gas/electricity) came out to $150. And DSL/phone came out to $150 (including initial installation fee).

This morning, my roommate asked me for a $50 check to cover my third of the DSL bill. I told her that instead of writing each other checks (since she owed me $50 for the utilities), we could just call it even. THEN came the shocker... "But we agreed you would pay for all the utilities!"

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

All utility bills are in my name, and I am technically "paying" for them. But that doesn't mean each of my roommates have to pay me back for 1/3 of their share.

My roommates honestly believe that their only contributions will be $600 per month + 1/3 DSL, which came out to $50/each this month. So, their grand total = $650

For some reason, they have it confirmed in their minds *I* will be paying for all other utilities... which would make MY share $600 + 50 + 150 = $800

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My room is a little bigger than theirs, and when my former roommates lived with me, the roommate with the biggest room paid $30 extra per month. But I don't believe my bigger room validates the $800/month rent.

Right now, my roommates are refusing to pay for their share of the utilities. We've called a "roommate meeting" tonight, where we'll try to reach a peaceful, fair compromise... *sigh* I'm not looking forward to it. We'll discuss the whole rent/money issue... and I'll also be bringing up the issue of them eating my food. At one point last week, I walked into the kitchen and they were cooking one of MY Digiorno pizzas... I stared at them, opened the freezer to make sure the one they were cooking was mine, and one of them had the audacity to ask me if I wanted a slice... OF MY OWN PIZZA!!!!! UGH!!!!! I didn't say anything because I didn't want to cause any tension, but there's so much tension now you could slice through with knife.

Any advice? What do you think would be a fair arrangement in terms of the $$$ everyone should pay per month?

Disadvantage: The 2 girls living with me were friends before, so it's kinda a 2-vs-1 situation. *sigh*

UPDATE, 10/14: Major miscommunication; the girls were confused. After two hours, we decided upon this: This month, I will pay for all the utilities, and the initial setup/installation fees will be split among the three of us. Next month, I will pay for all the utilities up to $30-35... one of my roommates is going to see if we qualify as a "low income" household (will my ass get audited for that?). Anything over that amount, the girls will split 50/50. No pillowfights, senseless violence, or cancelling of utilities was resorted to. :p

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Through the breakers to their bedrooms and remove the fuses until they pay.

ggavinmoss

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2001
I'm curious why you didn't just decide to split up the utilities separate from the rent? I've always found that to be an easier situation to handle.

-geoff

pulse8

Lifer
May 3, 2000
Originally posted by: minendo
Through the breakers to their bedrooms and remove the fuses until they pay.

This is actually a pretty good idea. :)

Also, do you have anything in writing stating that they have to pay those amounts for the utilities?

imported_Tomato

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2002
Originally posted by: Electric Amish
Did you have them sign anything when they moved in??

All we signed was the original lease, which is $1800/month.

Nothing regarding how the bills would be divided was signed, and apparently there's been a LOT of confusion on both ends.

From the beginning, I should have emphasized the bills would be split 3 ways. However, since I do have a bigger room, I was willing to pay a little more per month. I figured if the roommates paid $650/month, that would cover a majority of the bills, and I would pay the excess (utilities usually range from $150-200/month, as both the roommates are grad students and stay at home in the apartment the whole time... I work M-F, 9-6). They did add DSL, which we would be splitting 3 ways... I agreed to that, even though I never use the Internet from home (and don't even have it hooked up in my room).

MegaloManiaK

Golden Member
May 27, 2003
Um basicly, you told them 650$ per month right? Then i would collect the 650 out of thier bitch asses anyway. They agreed to that price and they will either pay it or get the hell out.

It doesn't matter if they are your friends, tell them to get out and you will find someone else if they don't pay, if it ruins your friendship its thier fault for trying to steel 50$ each from you per month.

Edit: sorry i misread the part about them being friends with eachother. In that case, since they weren't your friends to begin with id be harder on them than i had stated above.

As was stated above remove the fuses if you have to, since the utilities are in your name its your right to do it. Even if there is no legal way for you to prove they were going to pay more than the 600 theres no reason they can make you pay for thier utilities.

CaseTragedy

Platinum Member
Oct 24, 2000
i think the original amount you charged them was fair. it was originally $650/month--and you didn't say it was lowered for the next months--so its wrong of them to assume.

btw--what kind of dsl is $50/person per month!?!?

FFactory0x

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2001
dont worry. Im owed $600 total from 2 roomates. Its all good though. I moved out and still have the keys to the place and i think i got the point accross when i put a table through a wall one night and said i wanted my doe

Electric Amish

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Dezign
Originally posted by: Electric Amish
Did you have them sign anything when they moved in??

All we signed was the original lease, which is $1800/month.

Nothing regarding how the bills would be divided was signed, and apparently there's been a LOT of confusion on both ends.

From the beginning, I should have emphasized the bills would be split 3 ways. However, since I do have a bigger room, I was willing to pay a little more per month. I figured if the roommates paid $650/month, that would cover a majority of the bills, and I would pay the excess (utilities usually range from $150-200/month, as both the roommates are grad students and stay at home in the apartment the whole time... I work M-F, 9-6). They did add DSL, which we would be splitting 3 ways... I agreed to that, even though I never use the Internet from home (and don't even have it hooked up in my room).

Sounds like you're going to have to get them together and sit down with the bills. Show them the expenses and work out a payment plan and have everyone sign it.

freebee

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2000
No contract (verbal, written or otherwise) means they have no obligation to pay you anything.

In other news, I'm sure any guy here would pay 1k+ for the bragging rights of living with dezign...:)

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Pull out the ad that said $630 and ask how in the world they ever came up with a $600 number since it was never discussed, nor was it in the ad. Don't let the DSL issue enter into the discussion because that's a totally seperate deal. I don't know how you're going to get them back up to $650 if it was never written down anywhere.

Ignoring the DSL, they want to pay $600 and you'll pay $750. You think it ought to be $650 for each of you. If you settle on the $630 that was in the ad, that would be $630 for each of them and $690 for you. That's the deal I'd go for.

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
Advice?

Communication!

Get it straightened out tonight!

I say agree upon the rent about that each will pay, and then agree to split all the utilities.

imported_Tomato

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2002
Originally posted by: CaseTragedy
i think the original amount you charged them was fair. it was originally $650/month--and you didn't say it was lowered for the next months--so its wrong of them to assume.

btw--what kind of dsl is $50/person per month!?!?

The DSL bill was $150 this month because it includes the installation fee (?). I didn't see the bill, I took my roommate's word for it. Tonight, we'll be laying out ALL the paperwork, though.

I was thinking the original amount agreed upon, $650/month, plus their share of the DSL/phone bill, would be fair.

We're all going to meet tonight... I'm not looking forward to the 2 vs. 1, and am thinking of the best way to discuss this. The less drama and more clarity, the better.

We all signed a year-long lease, so we're stuck together until September 2004... :(

imported_Tomato

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2002
Should I have something prepared in writing for tonight, so we can all sign it and avoid any monetary disputes in the future?

I'm just nervous, because technically, they can refuse to pay for all the utilities and I'll be screwed. Everything's in my name, and if I don't make payment my credits fvcked.

*getting dizzy thinking about it*

<--- can't afford $800/month!!

blahblah99

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 2000
Ahhh the memories of living with roommates.

The best way to solve this would be to sit them down and talk it through as you are doing, although its partially their fault for not reading through the ad.

Explain to them that utilities aren't a fixed charge, so if you weren't home for the whole month, then why would you have to pay 100% of the bill?

If negotiations don't work then pull the breaker, and if that doesn't work, then CANCEL the utilities, and finally as a last resort boot them out of the apartment if their name isn't on the contract.

Vortex22

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2000
Kick them out and get 2 new people that are willing to pay. It shouldn't be too hard if you had over 30 apply originally.

sciencetoy

Oct 10, 2001
Take out the d*mned DSL. You don't use it, why should you pay for it? A new one can't be installed because everything is in your name.

It sounds like some people are trying to take major advantage of you here.

KGB1

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 2001
You should have went over/stressed the payment methods and made some sort of written contract outlying every nook and crany of rent + utilities + dsl + food* If they really think the extra $50 given the first month was some sort of down payment or extra incentive for you to give them a favorable outcome when being chosen for the apartment, they are surely mistaken and you have to tell them $650 was deal.

If they are short on money (hence eating your food) tell them have to reimburse you later on (decide whatever date) if they blow it off then you got a real situation on your hands. You're also lucky utilities (maybe lease *edit* okay all 3 are on the lease) is under your name, if that were not the case. Don't threaten them into paying the rent, however you can also hold back your share of the DSL that you don't use.

You had a point; room mates are fun when you're with friends, however stranger are much more difficult to make decisions and compromises. Also the size of your room shouldn't be considered in the equation since it was your apartment, you don't have to feel guilty because you have more space. They knew what they were getting into and now somehow they think they can weasel out $50 extra from their share. Really uncool.

pulse8

Lifer
May 3, 2000
Definitely get something in writing when you sit down with them.

And if they do just try to screw you into paying for all the utilities, I'd do exactly what minendo suggested. If they feel that you have to pay the utilities then you have every right to control the use of those utilities.

CaseTragedy

Platinum Member
Oct 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Dezign
Should I have something prepared in writing for tonight, so we can all sign it and avoid any monetary disputes in the future?

I'm just nervous, because technically, they can refuse to pay for all the utilities and I'll be screwed. Everything's in my name, and if I don't make payment my credits fvcked.

*getting dizzy thinking about it*

<--- can't afford $800/month!!
they do have the leverage. how difficult would it be to get new roomates? or would you have to leave since all three of you signed the lease?

also--i don't think utilitities should be included in rents since its variable from month-month...especially the phone bill.