YARDT (Yet Another Ron DeSantis Threat) - DeSantis to Take Control of Disney’s Orlando District Under New Bill

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

conehead433

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2002
DeSantis wants to do everything but be the Governor of Florida. During Ian he was on TV so much I thought he was a weather caster. He's also head librarian in the state and his book is selling quite well possibly in part because he had all other books removed. He now runs Disney in Florida. He gallivants around the country pretending to campaign for others while he's actually campaigning for President. I moved to Florida last year and at least I did my part in attempting to vote him out of office.

Reactions: Pohemi

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
The best thing right now at Disney can do is to plan some big relocation of high paying corporate jobs out of Florida.

Obviously they can't move the park but they can move corporate.

Reactions: Pohemi and hal2kilo

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
The best thing right now at Disney can do is to plan some big relocation of high paying corporate jobs out of Florida.

Obviously they can't move the park but they can move corporate.
Or just super PAC DeSantis to oblivion. Disney has vast experience in buying politicians.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
DeSantis wants to do everything but be the Governor of Florida. During Ian he was on TV so much I thought he was a weather caster. He's also head librarian in the state and his book is selling quite well possibly in part because he had all other books removed. He now runs Disney in Florida. He gallivants around the country pretending to campaign for others while he's actually campaigning for President. I moved to Florida last year and at least I did my part in attempting to vote him out of office.

Same here. Don't forget how he shows up in different cities around the state to present awards and make speaches every other day.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Opinion piece based on DeSantis' statement about DIsney and his new board.

DeSantis hinted that the board may one day be used to compel Disney to stop trying to inject “woke ideology” on children.

“When you lose your way, you’ve got to have people that are going to tell you the truth,” DeSantis said. “So we hope they can get back on. But I think all of these board members very much would like to see the type of entertainment that all families can appreciate.”

Disney on thin ice: Suggestions for 'fixing' Disney movies after DeSantis' takeover

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I saw that today and chuckled. It's a fun little win.

The next thought I had after I was done laughing was well we can't rely on little legal loopholes to stop these evil people. We have to recognize how fascists these people are and plan accordingly, Not rely on legal loopholes that conservative justices haven't figured or gotten the chance to close yet.

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
I'm sure with their billions they afforded multiple law firms to write up an iron clad contract. Is this what young people mean by fuck around and find out? It got a chuckle out of me. Gov groomer is Rob Carradine's character from the later geek movies except this one is a dumbass.

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006
The MAGAMouthpiece™ trolls Dethsantis...

The stealth move by Disney prompted allies of DeSantis’ chief political rival, former President Donald Trump, to suggest the governor had been out-maneuvered.

“President Trump wrote ‘Art of the Deal’ and brokered Middle East peace,” said Taylor Budowich, spokesman for the Trump-aligned Make America Great Again PAC. “Ron DeSantis just got out-negotiated by Mickey Mouse.”

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
I like the stipulation that the contract is in force until 21 years after the death of King Charles' last heir. Talk about a major trolling...lol!

Disney put a whole new meaning to the old insult "What a Mickey Mouse operation"!

Desantis was pantsed by Mouse...lol!

gothuevos

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2010
I'm sure with their billions they afforded multiple law firms to write up an iron clad contract. Is this what young people mean by fuck around and find out? It got a chuckle out of me. Gov groomer is Rob Carradine's character from the later geek movies except this one is a dumbass.

I'm sure the governor will find a heavy-handed way to nullify the contract, or at least he will try to find another way to punish Disney again.

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
I'm sure the governor will find a heavy-handed way to nullify the contract, or at least he will try to find another way to punish Disney again.
And they will be taken to court over that. If the contract they willfully signed doesn't violate any law and is sound and legal then it opens them up for a major lawsuit. I don't expect this to be a one and done deal by the disney lawyers and they've devised a layered scheme to make it hurt for florida and desantis. Logically any company of that size and wealth will do this.

you can't null a contract just because you got legally bitch slapped. It didn't work out for the richest man in the world a few months ago and he was forced to buy a steaming pile of shit worth half today of what he paid for it.

Reactions: hal2kilo and Pohemi

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999
Well I guess why Disney didn’t fight this has come into focus.

Lol.

"But board members also approved hiring four outside law firms with Chairman Martin Garcia citing a need for “lawyers that have extensive experience in dealing with protracted litigation against Fortune 500 companies.”

One of those firms is Cooper & Kirk, which has gotten more than $2.8 million in legal fees and contracts from the DeSantis administration to defend a controversial social media law, a ban on cruise ship COVID-19 “vaccine passport” requirements, and a restriction on felons seeking to vote.

Cooper & Kirk’s lawyers will bill $795 an hour, according to the firm’s engagement letter. The boutique firm’s roster of lawyers includes Adam Laxalt, who roomed with DeSantis when he was training at the Naval Justice School in 2005 and made an unsuccessful bid for U.S. Senate last year in Nevada."

Now Florida voters are going to be paying millions in lawyer fees to fight for DeSantis antiwoke agenda. I hope they like budget cuts.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
The MAGAMouthpiece™ trolls Dethsantis...

The stealth move by Disney prompted allies of DeSantis’ chief political rival, former President Donald Trump, to suggest the governor had been out-maneuvered.

“President Trump wrote ‘Art of the Deal’ and brokered Middle East peace,” said Taylor Budowich, spokesman for the Trump-aligned Make America Great Again PAC. “Ron DeSantis just got out-negotiated by Mickey Mouse.”

You will be shocked to learn that Trump did not, in fact, write The Art of the Deal.

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999
I like the stipulation that the contract is in force until 21 years after the death of King Charles' last heir. Talk about a major trolling...lol!

Disney put a whole new meaning to the old insult "What a Mickey Mouse operation"!

DeSantis got pwned. Word is that DeSantis is planning on hire hitmen to take out all the Royal family in the hopes of saving some face. :D

• Haha

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

It’s not actually trolling - there’s something called the rule against perpetuities that says agreements like this have to have an expiration date. So what they did here was find some exceptionally young, rich, protected people with access to the best health care money can buy to tie the expiration date to, presumably ensuring the deal outlives basically everyone alive today.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
And they will be taken to court over that. If the contract they willfully signed doesn't violate any law and is sound and legal then it opens them up for a major lawsuit. I don't expect this to be a one and done deal by the disney lawyers and they've devised a layered scheme to make it hurt for florida and desantis. Logically any company of that size and wealth will do this.

you can't null a contract just because you got legally bitch slapped. It didn't work out for the richest man in the world a few months ago and he was forced to buy a steaming pile of shit worth half today of what he paid for it.
Just for the record Twitter was worth half of Elon paid for it on the day he offered to buy it, on the day he tried to not buy it, on the day he was forced to buy it, and ultimately on the day he forked over the money to buy it.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
What's hilarious and telling about the competence of the DeSantis administration is they utterly failed to keep tabs on what Disney and the current board were doing while trying to rat fuck them in public. It's nice to see a bully get sucker punched.

• Love

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
Just for the record Twitter was worth half of Elon paid for it on the day he offered to buy it, on the day he tried to not buy it, on the day he was forced to buy it, and ultimately on the day he forked over the money to buy it.
I'm sorry but you're very wrong here. Twitter was never worth a fly on a pile of shit to begin with.