YARDT (Yet Another Ron DeSantis Threat) - DeSantis to Take Control of Disney’s Orlando District Under New Bill

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
So does that mean you are good with the government punishing corporations for speech? Knowing this would include charities like Planned Parenthood, and collective action corporations like HOAs and Unions. Your HOA president runs against the mayor, say goodbye to your trash collection.

How about Dank Brandon just outlawing the sale of this crap?
1675792304732.png

Reactions: Zorba

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
How about Dank Brandon just outlawing the sale of this crap?
View attachment 76077
Unethical and illegal.

I am as pro-Biden as it gets, but I am also pro-freedom of speech.

As long as it is not inciting violence it should be legal speech. We need to know who to cancel.

However the government should not get involved with that.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Meanwhile, the Disney Channel just continues to trigger the neo-fascists during Black History Month:

LOL, your move DeFascis...you gonna demand that every cable/satellite/streaming operator drop Disney? Have fun keeping your kids off Disney suckers.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Unethical and illegal.

As long as it is not inciting violence it should be legal speech. We need to know who to cancel.

I'm not suggesting he ACTUALLY do it.

Reactions: Leeea and Zorba

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
I’d be perfectly fine if the Florida courts rejected the personhood idea and the Supreme Court upheld the ruling.

Yes, that would be ideal. As it is, if Disney loses profits because of what DeSantis is doing, it's going to be the Florida tax payer who will pick up the tab by way of litigation.

Also, pretty sure that Disney is the number 1 employer in Florida, and its theme park is the number one tourist attraction in the state. DeSantis is playing with fire here. Then again, he doesn't give a shit if it harms residents of the State. He's just trying to lock down base voters for 2024.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Also, pretty sure that Disney is the number 1 employer in Florida, and its theme park is the number one tourist attraction in the state.

I actually looked up top employers in the state of FL and WDW doesn't even crack the top 10 (https://careerkarma.com/blog/largest-companies-in-florida/). What's weird though is that if you start Googling specifically for WDW numbers, they would easily crack the top 10. So not sure where they really land.

Now I'm sure if you take into account all the surrounding businesses (restaurants, hotels, etc) that are not directly WDW owned, but exist because WDW exists, I'm sure the scale starts tipping quite quickly.

It is, of course, the #1 tourist destination in that god forsaken state though

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Yes, that would be ideal. As it is, if Disney loses profits because of what DeSantis is doing, it's going to be the Florida tax payer who will pick up the tab by way of litigation.

Also, pretty sure that Disney is the number 1 employer in Florida, and its theme park is the number one tourist attraction in the state. DeSantis is playing with fire here. Then again, he doesn't give a shit if it harms residents of the State. He's just trying to lock down base voters for 2024.

Actually, Publix is FL’s largest employer with about 130,000 employees. Disney World, et al, employ around 75,000…not even top 5 for the state.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Actually, Publix is FL’s largest employer with about 130,000 employees. Disney World, et al, employ around 75,000…not even top 5 for the state.
Considering how much employment around Disney world is reliant on Disney world I'd say that number is huge.

Reactions: hal2kilo

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Disney world is the largest single site employer in the state and nation. (So they claim)

I always think ruboff jobs claims are highly inflated, but with Disney world is pretty obvious when the whole place is surrounded by massive resorts and commercial districts. Plus the airport traffic and jobs there. Even the other theme parks benefit from Disney's shadow, which is why they are there.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
So does that mean you are good with the government punishing corporations for speech? Knowing this would include charities like Planned Parenthood, and collective action corporations like HOAs and Unions. Your HOA president runs against the mayor, say goodbye to your trash collection.

You make a really good point however, in order to do any of that, the governing body would need to have a majority to pass laws that would go after those businesses, they would also have to be accountable to the people that elect them, that’s a lot of hurdles. I think I’m willing to take my chance with that if it meant getting businesses out of politics. But I’m certainly open for debate.

Reactions: Pohemi

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
You make a really good point however, in order to do any of that, the governing body would need to have a majority to pass laws that would go after those businesses, they would also have to be accountable to the people that elect them, that’s a lot of hurdles. I think I’m willing to take my chance with that if it meant getting businesses out of politics. But I’m certainly open for debate.
In half the states every "woke" business and charity would get screwed within weeks, plus unions.

Companies can have freedom of speech and also not be allowed to donate money to politicians.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Unethical and illegal.

Check your sarcasm meter

Reactions: Homerboy and Leeea

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Considering the fact that those folks who voted for DeSantis don't care what he does so long as he sticks it to the libs while he's doing it, it seems they really don't mind paying for his acts of defiance of law, human rights and common decency.

His working class supporters have already given in to the party's efforts at denying them a leg up on the economic ladder in order to pay fealty to their corporate overlords so there's no limit to which they will go toward spitting in the face of what democracy stands for here in America.

Reactions: Leeea

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Considering the fact that those folks who voted for DeSantis don't care what he does so long as he sticks it to the libs while he's doing it, it seems they really don't mind paying for his acts of defiance of law, human rights and common decency.

His working class supporters have already given in to the party's efforts at denying them a leg up on the economic ladder in order to pay fealty to their corporate overlords so there's no limit to which they will go toward spitting in the face of what democracy stands for here in America.
This is exactly right. This is how we know both the Republican base and the politicians are horrible. They literally drive each other to be stittier and shittier people. It's a mutual circle jerk of complete horrible evilness.

Know your enemies.

Reactions: hal2kilo and Leeea

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
Having never heard of Desantis speak before until yesterday... I was waiting for him to drag out his purse. In his case, glass houses also happen to be glass closets.

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
What's this about Trump releasing incriminating photos of Desantis being a pervert?

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005

I think the distinction is subtle, but most of the lists show employees for companies BASED in FL, not just employees in the state alone. I did some quick googling, and it looks like when you split it that way that DisneyWorld is in fact the largest employer of FL residents.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
If I was in charge of Disney I would fund a series of public service ads nationwide that Florida is unfriendly to business for purely political reasons.

Any corporation that is thinking a investing billions in the state (as Disney has) should certainly think twice.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
I asked my neighbor about his “keep America great” trump 2024…..

So you say keep America great you must be happy with bidens job so far

needless to say I saw him a few days later and he finally got it. And used some pretty colorful phrases to me.

It takes MAGAs a while to get it and then they are all mad. I believe there are a fews memes out there.

Reactions: Pohemi

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I asked my neighbor about his “keep America great” trump 2024…..

So you say keep America great you must be happy with bidens job so far

needless to say I saw him a few days later and he finally got it. And used some pretty colorful phrases to me.
It amuses me how utterly unserious these people are. I remember seeing a graph of views on the economy and essentially when the 2020 election happened Republicans went from thinking the economy was great to thinking it was terrible overnight, even though nothing had changed. There was similar movement with the Democrats but the magnitude was much smaller.

Basically the moral of the story is that most voters are kind of delusional about what makes a country great, other than being in power, but Republicans particularly so.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
I think the distinction is subtle, but most of the lists show employees for companies BASED in FL, not just employees in the state alone. I did some quick googling, and it looks like when you split it that way that DisneyWorld is in fact the largest employer of FL residents.

Nope. Publix employs ~230,000 people across all stores nationwide, of which ~130,000 are in FL, as Publix is based in FL and has more stores in FL than any other state.

But, yes, Disney is the largest employer in the Orlando area.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I'm pretty sure they also operate the largest public transportation system in the state as well.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Yep, as an example, the corp. I used to work (L3) for, got bought out by Harris (now LHX). The headquarters for LHX is Titusville, FL, but L3 had facilities all over the country, including the division I used to work for which was headquartered in Anaheim, CA, and is still there.