YAQLCT (quarter life crisis): Should I become a Firefighter/EMT

enginjon

Mar 28, 2000
I am nearly 22 years old, have 2 years of college education in Electrical Engineering, and have been out of school for 2 years. I left school because I didn't like my program of study, but had no idea what it was that I wanted to do instead. These past 2 years I've been working semi-meaningless jobs; computer help desk, contract IT work, and now UPS. I always think I'm going to get back to school eventually, but don't have a goal in mind to try to attain, so it feels like a waste to try to get a degree without knowing what it is I want to do. I had been a great student until my second year of college when I realized I wasn't doing something I enjoyed and without that dream job motivating me, I just didn't feel like doing all that work.

I've always felt more comfortable doing blue collar work as opposed to office jobs, but feel like I would be selling myself short if I didn't join the white collar workforce with the nice salary and company stock options etc. I've had thoughts in my head of living a different life, perfecting a skilled trade and being an electrician or mechanic.

Then about a month ago, my grandfather became very sick, and then passed away a weak ago. It's been a very emotional time, as I considered him as one of my idols. He was very respected in the community as a selfless man, and I realized just how many people he touched by the incredible number of people that came for the funeral services, and their incredible generosity. My grandfather was a retired chief of a local fire department where had worked for 30 years, the last 7 as chief. I'm finding that I want to be able to help people, just as he had done.

So now for the first time in almost 3 years, I have this drive to establish a career. I am thinking back to all the times I would run around as a kid with this fireman's hat with a light on top and pretend to be putting out fires. I feel like this is it, that I have found what it is that I want to do. Part of me however, is nagging me saying I should do something more, or that I'm selling myself short risking my life for less than I could make sitting in some office. I do feel that this very well may be what I was meant to do, but I can't say with 100% certainty that this isn't an emotional response to losing my grandfather.

I'm not sure what I'm looking for in responses to this, I jsut couldn't sleep as I was thinking about it so much. Thank you for reading

Broohaha

Banned
Jan 4, 2001
yeah go for it i you want sh!t. sorry, but that's the truth, isnt it?

edit: my mistake, that should have reead:

yeah, go for it i you want sh!t pay. sorry, but that's the truth, isnt it?

Broohaha

Banned
Jan 4, 2001
after reading more closely your full quarter life crisis, (something i'm either going through right now or will be going through very soon), i think you have a tough task ahead of you. on the one hand, its commendable that you want to do something of service to the community and also useful that the line of work you're considering is something that you feel you would enjoy and which you think you would be good at. but be aware of the tradeoffs in terms of pay, status, upward mobility (what if you decide after two years that you dont like the gig, will you be able to move onto something else), and things of that nature.

that is my 4:30 am, should have been in bed an hour and a half ago but was too busy neffing on atot and chatting on IM response. good luck.