YAPHK (Yet Another Palestinian Honor Killing), teenage girl raped and pregnant by her brothers, killed by her mother

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
YAPHK

Another 'honor' victim: Daughter, raped by brothers, killed by mother

ABU QASH, West Bank - Rofayda Qaoud - raped by her brothers and impregnated - refused to commit suicide, her mother recalls, even after she bought the unwed teenager a razor with which to slit her wrists. So Amira Abu Hanhan Qaoud says she did what she believes any good Palestinian parent would: restored her family's "honor" through murder.

Armed with a plastic bag, razor and wooden stick, Qaoud entered her sleeping daughter's room last Jan. 27. "Tonight you die, Rofayda," she told the girl, before wrapping the bag tightly around her head. Next, Qaoud sliced Rofayda's wrists, ignoring her muffled pleas of "No, mother, no!" After her daughter went limp, Qaoud struck her in the head with the stick. Killing her sixth-born child took 20 minutes, Qaoud tells a visitor through a stream of tears and cigarettes that she smokes in rapid succession. "She killed me before I killed her," says the 43-year-old mother of nine. "I had to protect my children. This is the only way I could protect my family's honor."

The guilty brothers are in jail.

Qaoud's confessed crime, for which she must appear before a three-judge panel on Dec. 3, is one repeated almost weekly among Palestinians living in the West Bank, Gaza Strip and Israel. Female virtue and virginity define a family's reputation in Arab cultures, so it's women who are punished if that reputation is perceived as sullied.

Victims' rights groups say the number of "honor crimes" appears to be climbing, but at the same time, getting little attention. Israelis and Palestinians are too busy with political and military issues to notice what they dismiss as domestic disputes, says Suad Abu-Dayyeh, who works for the Women's Center for Legal Aid and Counseling in East Jerusalem. Poverty and war have exacerbated the problem, says Nadera Shalhoub-Kevorkian, a social work and criminology professor at Hebrew University in Jerusalem and an expert on violence against women. "Men do not have any power except over women," she says.

Police in Israel investigated at least 18 honor killings in the past three years. Palestinian police reported 31 cases in 2002 - up from five during the first half of 1999 - the last time such incidents were counted before the current Palestinian uprising began, according to the center's study. But the number of killings is likely higher, given that Palestinian police investigate only crimes that have been reported, said Yousef Tarifi, the Ramallah prosecutor assigned to Qaoud's case. Shalhoub-Kevorkian says her past research showed the likely number to be 15 times higher than the number of reported cases.

Legal authority on the West Bank has been weakened by Israel's military crackdown, and the growing influence of militant Islamic factions has led clans to dole out their own justice. "In this chaotic situation, every man who thinks he knows a little bit of the Quran thinks honor issues are supposed to be resolved by killing," says Shalhoub-Kevorkian, who adds that leading Muslim clerics in Jerusalem and Jordan have denounced such killings.

Qaoud says her husband, Abdul Rahim, 52, told her the Quran forbade such killings. But neither his pleas nor those of Palestinian crisis counselors swayed her. "Why did she accept what happened to her?" Qaoud asks. "Even a wife can tell her husband 'no.' "

According to court records, Rofayda was raped by her brothers, Fahdi, 22, and Ali, 20, in a bedroom they shared in the family's three-room house. On Nov. 26, 2002, doctors at a nearby hospital who were treating Rofayda for an injured leg discovered she was eight months pregnant. Palestinian authorities whisked her off to a women's shelter in Bethlehem, where she gave birth to a healthy boy on Dec. 23. He has since been adopted by another Palestinian family, court records show.

Rofayda, meanwhile, wanted to return to her parents in the Ramallah suburb of Abu Qash. Ramallah Gov. Mustafa Isa called a meeting with the family and village elders, demanding they pledge in writing not to harm the girl. "He asked me if everyone in the family and the village would promise not to bother this girl, but I told him I couldn't give him a guarantee," Abu Qash Mayor Faik Shalout says. Rofayda returned home in late January without notifying the authorities.

The shame was unbearable, Qaoud said. Relatives and friends refused to speak to her family. Her elder daughters' husbands wouldn't allow them to visit because Rofayda had returned home. On Jan. 27, Rofayda sent word that she was in danger to crisis counselors at Abu-Dayyeh's center in East Jerusalem. They, in turn, called Palestinian police in Ramallah, who have jurisdiction over Abu Qash. The police said they couldn't get to the Qaoud home because of Israeli checkpoints. Qaoud, meanwhile, sent her husband, who suffers from heart disease, to a doctor in the nearby village of Bir Zeit. Her three youngest children went to a cousin's house.

At 11:30 p.m. she killed Rofayda, court records show. Tarifi says he's convinced Qaoud had an accomplice, but Qaoud insists she acted alone.

Qaoud turned herself in and, after four months in jail, was released pending the resolution of her case.

While honor killings committed in the heat of the moment - for example, by a husband who catches his wife in bed with another man - generally carry a six-month to one-year jail term, Qaoud will likely be sentenced to three to five years in prison, Tarifi says. The fact she is a mother who was trying to protect her family's honor mitigates the crime of premeditated murder, which is punishable by death under Palestinian law, he adds. The brothers are serving minimum 10-year sentences in a Palestinian jail in the West Bank city of Jericho for statutory rape of a relative, Tarifi says.

No trace of Rofayda or her brothers remains in the family home. Qaoud says she ripped up all of their photographs and burned their clothes. The bedroom in which she killed her daughter is now a storeroom. Erasing the memories is harder, she admits. She eases her pain by doting on her three children still living at home, especially the youngest, Fatima, 9, whom she lavishes with kisses. The children say they've forgiven Qaoud and return her affection.

"My mother did this because she does not want us to be punished by people," Fatima explains with a shy smile. Leaning into Qaoud's arms, the little girl adds: "I love my mother much more now than before."

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
A whole 31 cases in 2002? I think your bleeding heart has bigger fish to lust after.

ReiAyanami

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2002
A whole 31 cases in 2002? I think your bleeding heart has bigger fish to lust after.

31 cases in a tiny area smaller than the size of delaware. if u wanted to scale it up to super #1 big america size, then imagine thousands of this each year.

friedpie

Oct 1, 2002
A friend of mine from Romania met this guy from Jordan. She fell for this bozo and now she wants to convert to Islam, marry him, and move to Jordan. It makes me sick because she has no idea what really goes on over there, the way women are treated as animals over there in the middle east. They are so backwards when it comes to women's rights.

Sultan

Banned
Feb 21, 2002
Without providing any sort of justification, all of you must understand that "perverts" are not bounded by race, religion, nationality, cast or creed.

There are numerous incidents of parental sexual abuse against their children in many western nations. There are incidents of mothers killing their children in these western nations. Rape is widespread. Sexual molestation is common. Infidelity, fornication and adultery is also common.

"Judge not others, lest ye be judged yourself".

Again, I repeat, perverts are everywhere. Do not judge an entire religion of 1.2 billion people (Muslims) or a country of over 10 million(?) population (Jordan) by one incident.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: TheBDB
That is fvcked up.

That happens all the time. Especially in Saudi Arabia. I'm forgetting the title now but I read a book about a Saudi princess no less who was forced to marry at 13 a 50+ year old who already had a few wives... she told plenty of stories like this..her sister or friend I forget which was stoned to death in public for her brothers and brother friends raping her.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
not just a middle eastern problem http://dfn.org/_currentevents/_asia/HonorKillings/HonorKillings.html

its happened in canada too:( http://www.boston.com/news/world/articles/2003/10/05/mom_gave_long_distance_order_for_honor_killing_police_say/
Mom gave long-distance order for honor killing, police say

By DeNeen L. Brown and Rama Lakshmi, Washington Post, 10/5/2003

VANCOUVER, British Columbia -- In the cold end, it was her own mother who gave the final order to cut the young woman's throat. That's what police in India say.

don't think thats the only case in canada either.

fathers/brothers slicing the throat of their sisters/daughters...thats some serious culture corruption

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003

You're a real sorry sack of sh!t, you know that? Why is it the number of occurances somehow negates the severity of the incidents, and why does linking to the article qualify the author as someone 'lusting' after crimes like this? Somehow I don't think your ignorant dismissal of this would hold if the victim was, say, your little sister.

Without providing any sort of justification, all of you must understand that "perverts" are not bounded by race, religion, nationality, cast or creed.

You must understand that no one here has stated anything to the contrary.

There are numerous incidents of parental sexual abuse against their children in many western nations. There are incidents of mothers killing their children in these western nations. Rape is widespread. Sexual molestation is common. Infidelity, fornication and adultery is also common.

Again, we know. The difference is the 'honor killing' part. Throw any kind of spin on it you want, infanticide for 'honor' is still evil by any standard and not endorsed by ANY Western culture. In the West, a mother killing her offspring (far, far less common here I'm happy to say) is usually attributed to being mentally disturbed, not some farce of a 'tradition' imposed by a whole culture.

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
Makes you realize how easy (?) it will be to bring democacy and freedom to their culture in the region.

burnedout

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
This has also occured in the USA. During the mid-90s, the FBI had a Syrian family's house in Michigan bugged because they thought the father was involved with some terror organization. The bug ran on auto-pilot into a recorder and wasn't actively monitored.

Anyhow, the father became extremely furious that his daughter worked at Burger King. If I remember correctly, the daughter also voiced a strong desire to wear more American-style clothing. This caused a conflict that resulted in an altercation in which he killed the daughter. The incident was captured on tape. One could hear the mother screaming in the background and pleading with the father to stop beating the daughter. Because the bug wasn't actively monitored, the incident wasn't discovered until a week or so after the fact. The father was arrested, charged and sentenced to life for the murder.

CBS interviewed the father from prison. He candidly stated how he felt no remorse for killing his daughter because she violated cultural and religious values.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Sultan

Again, I repeat, perverts are everywhere. Do not judge an entire religion of 1.2 billion people (Muslims) or a country of over 10 million(?) population (Jordan) by one incident.
I only judge the 600 million people (Muslims) who collectively treat the other 600 million people (Muslims) are a second-class citizen. I take that back, citizen implies rights. They are collectively treated as sub-human.

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Originally posted by: alchemize

I only judge the 600 million people (Muslims) who collectively treat the other 600 million people (Muslims) are a second-class citizen. I take that back, citizen implies rights. They are collectively treated as sub-human.

You will find the same thing in China, Parts of India, etc. It has more to do with education/poverty/and very male dominated societies that religion per say.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: tnitsuj

You will find the same thing in China, Parts of India, etc. It has more to do with education/poverty/and very male dominated societies that religion per say.
Does the word "Sharia" mean anything to you?

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003

Sharia has nothing to do with honor killings in general. Sharia isn't even in effect in Jordon, Pakistan, India. Sharia has been applied to crimes such as adultry etc., but honor killings usually don't involve adultry. Thier is nothing in Islam or "Sharia" which is seperate from Islam as defined by the teachings of the prophet Mohammed about killing your daughter because she was raped.

BTW: I don't see any Hindus, Sikhs, etc. practicing Sharia? How do you explain the prevalance of honor killings in certain of those communities.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000

Sharia has nothing to do with honor killings in general. Sharia isn't even in effect in Jordon, Pakistan, India. Sharia has been applied to crimes such as adultry etc., but honor killings usually don't involve adultry. Thier is nothing in Islam or "Sharia" which is seperate from Islam as defined by the teachings of the prophet Mohammed about killing your daughter because she was raped.

BTW: I don't see any Hindus, Sikhs, etc. practicing Sharia? How do you explain the prevalance of honor killings in certain of those communities.

Sharia has everything to do with women being treated as sub-human. "Honor-killings" (what a term huh?) are only a symptom of the underlying cause.

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003

Sharia has everything to do with women being treated as sub-human. "Honor-killings" (what a term huh?) are only a symptom of the underlying cause.

So Sharia is the underlying cause of "Honor Killings"? I am sure thier are just as many if not more honor killings in non-muslim undeveloped populations as in Muslim ones. I think backwards, uneducated, male dominated societies are the cause. I think you are engaging in some spurious conclusions here.