YAPHHJT

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
user: my email doesn't work
me: what do you mean it doesn't work?
user: it won't work
me: yeah, but what happens?
user: i don't know, what are you asking me for?
me: ...
user: it doesn't come up
me: ok, i'll go look at it.

so i walk back and try to open outlook. it opens fine and starts downloading his email...
between this crap where the users aer severely lacking intelligence, they expect their problem to be fixed within 3 seconds of telling me about it, or my boss not telling me anything so i'm in the dark about everything thats going on 95% of the time, i just can't take it anymore. i've been looking for something for a few months now but can't find anything.

i've said before that i want out of IT but i don't even know what i would even enjoy or at least tolerate.

DaiShan

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
You don't necessarily have to get out of IT, but you do need to get out of tech support. Tech support is by far the worst job that I've had, and I've stuffed envelopes, tested code, and cut grass.

BKLounger

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2006
tech support sucks so royally. I did it for a year and in that one year literally my hair started going grey. Now I am a programming and the job still sucks but not as bad and the pay is a whole hell of alot better.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: BKLounger
tech support sucks so royally. I did it for a year and in that one year literally my hair started going grey. Now I am a programming and the job still sucks but not as bad and the pay is a whole hell of alot better.

my title is network admin but yet all i do is the crap work.
my boss doesn't tell me anything thats going on or i get a few little things that doen't help me. most of the stuff i do hear about is through other people in other departments. we're going through some major changes right now and i have no clue whats going on and then i get people asking me about this or that and i just say i don't know. i feel stupid because i don't know, but its not my fault that i don't know.

tfinch2

Lifer
Feb 3, 2004
Originally posted by: pontifex

my boss doesn't tell me anything thats going on or i get a few little things that doen't help me. most of the stuff i do hear about is through other people in other departments. we're going through some major changes right now and i have no clue whats going on and then i get people asking me about this or that and i just say i don't know. i feel stupid because i don't know, but its not my fault that i don't know.

Why don't you ask your boss about it?

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: tfinch2

because he's "too busy" or not around. Hell, even when i do get a chance to ask him something he doesn't pay attention or doesn't let me finish.

most of the time i don't even know where the guy is. its like he just disappears.

Elbryn

Golden Member
Sep 30, 2000
Originally posted by: tfinch2

because he's "too busy" or not around. Hell, even when i do get a chance to ask him something he doesn't pay attention or doesn't let me finish.

most of the time i don't even know where the guy is. its like he just disappears.

sounds like you arnt really making your presence felt or are not being persistant enough. you're in a bad cycle, those that ask you questions that are more in line with more complicated stuff you tell them you dont know and those that ask you simple questions are the only ones that get answered. eventually those that want to know more complicated stuff stop asking you because you dont give them answers and those that have dumb questions come to you because you can and around to answer them. If you're passive about things, in a passive organization, nothing is ever going to come your way. I'm not saying your a bad worker or anything but it's like your waiting for someone to do it for you rather than making it happen yourself.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
apparently now i'm part of the maintenance staff also...the weird/minor sh!t that people bitch about is totally insane.

woman from the HR office calls me and says she's holding up her keyboard. it came off the track. i'm like wtf? the keyboard came off the track? what track?????

i get over there and the desk has a pull out keyboard tray. it came out of the track on one side. she was like freaking out that it was like that...

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
pontifex, welcome to my and joemonkey's world

Edit: the tech support part I mean though. Hell my boss TELLS me to stop doing it, but the monkeys I have under me end up just asking me anyways. My choices are do it myself and get it over with, or have the helper monkeys do it, have then ask me, have them fail, have them ask me again, fail, and then I just do it.

Joemonkey

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Homerboy
pontifex, welcome to my and joemonkey's world

Edit: the tech support part I mean though. Hell my boss TELLS me to stop doing it, but the monkeys I have under me end up just asking me anyways. My choices are do it myself and get it over with, or have the helper monkeys do it, have then ask me, have them fail, have them ask me again, fail, and then I just do it.

at least you have helper monkeys, i'm the ONLY one here that knows anything about computers. tasks that seem so menial to me, such as putting in a CD and viewing the files on it, are lost on most of the folks I work with. Takes a special person to put up with it.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
thats probably my whole problem. my last job was tech support over the phone.
i took this job because i thought i was going to get away from that crap, but its all i do, except now its actually working on the stuff in front of me instead of walking someone through it. that makes it a little nicer, but i didn't want tech support crap.

like i said, my boss doesn't help at all, literally and metaphorically.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
ah...it just gets better and better.

so apparently my boss needs to do an update or something to the manufacturing system we use here. pretty much EVERYONE uses it, from sales to accounting to production. We have to do a backup which takes about an hour, maybe a little more. and then i have to call the company who makes the software so they can connect to the server and do the update. my boss went to the other warehouse to do something while this is all going on.

Its going to be down from about 10:30 to 1:00. guess who gets to spread the news? yep, me. so i'm the one who gets bitched for being the messenger basically because i have no fvcking idea what this update or whatever is supposed to do.

why he wants to do this stuff in the middle of the day is beyond me. I thought downtime was supposed to be kept minimal if possible?

Xyo II

Platinum Member
Oct 12, 2005
Sounds like an idiot boss. Sorry you have to deal with it bud. :thumbsdown:

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Krazy4Real
Good luck on finding something new.

well, its been bad luck so far. i did some through searching the other night and came up with nothing, unless i want to take a major pay cut.

there's just nothing out there (or at least nothing I am even remotely qualified for) in central pa.

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
user: my email doesn't work
me: what do you mean it doesn't work?
user: it won't work
me: yeah, but what happens?
user: i don't know, what are you asking me for?
me: ...
user: it doesn't come up
me: ok, i'll go look at it.

so i walk back and try to open outlook. it opens fine and starts downloading his email...
between this crap where the users aer severely lacking intelligence, they expect their problem to be fixed within 3 seconds of telling me about it, or my boss not telling me anything so i'm in the dark about everything thats going on 95% of the time, i just can't take it anymore. i've been looking for something for a few months now but can't find anything.

i've said before that i want out of IT but i don't even know what i would even enjoy or at least tolerate.

If it makes you feel better, I have Senior Programmer/Analysts on my staff that pull the same garbage. I'm the Systems Architect at our shop, so any exceptions generated by our systems' underlying frameworks get reported to me:

SPA: "There's a problem with X's integration with Y"
Me: "Okay... can you tell me what happens?"
SPA: "I get an error."
Me: "I figured as much. Can you tell me what the errors says?"
SPA: "I'll be right back."
Me: *Moron*

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
so now someone asks me to show them how to do something that i only learned myself on monday afternoon. i can't figure it out so i call my boss.

boss: "did you play with the program? i told you to play with it so you can figure it out. thats how i learned it"
me: "no, i didn't play with it yet."
why not you ask? because of the 50 other things he wants me to do that are all top priority. how the hell am i supposed to play with something if i'm not even at my frickin desk all day?

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
how the hell am i supposed to play with something if i'm not even at my frickin desk all day?

Perhaps you could use the same means you use to post on AT.

Joemonkey

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2001
Originally posted by: jbourne77
how the hell am i supposed to play with something if i'm not even at my frickin desk all day?

Perhaps you could use the same means you use to post on AT.

ICEBURN!