YAObesityT: Why Do People Keep Saying Bad Food Is Cheaper?

May 31, 2001
Many times when the subject of obesity comes up, someone will mention that poor people have a greater tendency to be obese due to the "fact" that bad food is cheaper than good food. Only in some cases would I agree that good food is more expensive than bad food, and if one does a cost/benefit analysis, it really isn't more expensive at all.

Wonder Bread is much cheaper than the sixteen whole grain variety of bread that I buy, but I can eat multiple sandwiches on Wonder Bread and never feel full. When I eat a sandwich on good bread, my stomach knows it has been fed. :p The good bread counts as part of a meal, whereas crappy bread is little more than two sheets of spongy cardboard to keep the contents of the sandwich from getting all over your fingers.

Some of the prices I am going to list may seem out of whack to you, but that is due to most of the food that is sold here being shipped long distances.

A McChicken at McDonald's is $1.50-$1.59 locally, if I remember correctly. For your money you get a soggy white bun, courtesy of the Wonder Bread bakery, some shredded lettuce mixed with mayonnaise, and a processed breaded chicken patty.

I buy boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sometimes fresh, sometimes frozen depending on who has them on sale. The MOST I will pay is $1.99 a pound, and I can usually find them cheaper. Who in their right mind pays for a nasty chicken sandwich when you can cook a much better one yourself with a little bit of time and effort?

If a person REALLY wanted prepared, breaded chicken patties, it is cheaper to get those and heat or cook them yourself over McDonald's. When I was at Safeway this morning, they had a box of four Tyson breaded chicken patties for $3.00. That is roughly what two McChickens cost, and I know Sam's Club has breaded chicken patties for even cheaper than that. I bet they are better than the ones McDonald's uses, too.

Figure ten McChickens at $15.00 to $15.99 total, versus a seven pound bag of frozen boneless, skinless chicken breasts fromm Sam's Club for about the same price. Meal-wise, the greater benefit is definitely going to come from the unprepared chicken. Financial benefit goes right along with it, since I can make a lot of dishes using chicken that will stretch it even further.

French fries? Compare the cost of a large order of fries with the cost of potatoes. You will need some other stuff to turn said potatoes into fries, but if you keep a stocked kitchen, it should not be a problem.

One place the good expensive/bad cheap food comment does hold true is snack foods. I eat the healthy variety of chips, what kind depends on my mood. The thing is, healthy food in general tends to stick with me longer when I eat it and I find myself snacking a lot less, so I come out ahead financially.

So I would say it is not true in general that healthy food is more expensive than cheap food, especially if you do a cost/benefit analysis. Snack foods, yes, and fast food, but a lot of the "healthy" fast food tends to be crap when you check it out.

Instead of blaming the cost of healthy food for poor people having a greater tendency towards obesity, I would hypothesize that, being poor, they are perhaps less willing or even financially unable to invest in the kitchen infrastructure which would allow them to make the most out of their food budget. Temporary measures of eating fast food instead of buying a set of cooking utensils, spices and basic ingredients, et cetera.

Likewise, if it is a one parent family, they may simply lack the time to prepare the meals. They also may not know their way around the kitchen, so again it is easier to buy cheap, easy to prepare/pre-prepared crappy food over healthy food they have to prepare themselves.

So I would say that healthy "junk food" and snack foods to tend to be more expensive, but overall, good food is cheaper in the long run. :)

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Well obviously if you're comparing a restaurant to cooking yourself, cooking yourself is cheaper.

However, here's a counter example: ground beef. The leaner you go, the higher the price. I see .99/pound for the 73% lean, and often 3-4x more for the 90%+ lean variety.

You're right, there are cases where healthier food can be cheaper, but it isn't really fair to compare eating out to cooking.

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
Compare the cost of soda to that of juice and bottled water. The difference is silly. "Good food" is cheaper if you make it yourself, otherwise it is more expensive.

<-- makes some good meals for about $3/ea, but they take time to make and clean up.

TecHNooB

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005
Where do you buy your chicken breast? I never see them for $2.00 a pound :/

T9D

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2001
Ok first of all the McChicken sandwich is not all that bad for you. And they use wheat bread not white bread. Not saying it's totally the best but it's probably one of the better things for you if you are going to eat at McDonald's at all.

I alway get the McChicken Sandwich (PLAIN) with a bottled water and small frys. It's really not a bad way to eat.

May 31, 2001
Originally posted by: v1001
Ok first of all the McChicken sandwich is not all that bad for you. And they use wheat bread not white bread. Not saying it's totally the best but it's probably one of the better things for you if you are going to eat at McDonald's at all.

I alway get the McChicken Sandwich (PLAIN) with a bottled water and small frys. It's really not a bad way to eat.

Where do you live that your McDonald's uses wheat bread? Ours don't.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
When people talk about bad food being cheaper, they are usually talking about: hot dogs, store brand macaroni and cheese, ramen and soda prices. If your family was poor and you, as a kid, grew up eating 90% of your meals as mac and cheese, you know exactly what an incredibly unhealthy diet is.

May 31, 2001
Originally posted by: TecHNooB
Where do you buy your chicken breast? I never see them for $2.00 a pound :/

Fred Meyer's, Safeway, and Sam's Club. Fred Meyer's is a West Coast chain, now owned by Kroeger's. The fresh ones are not on sale as often as the frozen ones, but if you are happy with frozen ones, seldom does a week go by where there is not at least one store with them on sale for $1.99 a pound or cheaper.

bignateyk

Lifer
Apr 22, 2002
Because fat people are lazy, and won't cook for themselves. Once you eliminate cooking for yourself, junk food is a pretty cheap alternative.

Plus they like to use any excuse possible to justify their obesity.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by: bignateyk
Because fat people are lazy, and won't cook for themselves. Once you eliminate cooking for yourself, junk food is a pretty cheap alternative.

That's pretty much it.

I can cook a complete meal (salad/meat/side dish) for about $5-6 a head unless I decide to go steak. It just takes a little effort.

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
Originally posted by: ShotgunSteven
Originally posted by: torpid
No one says that. What they say is that cheap food is often bad.

Look back through a few obesity threads. Several people say it. ;)

Assuming this is true (too lazy to check), I guess ATOT has an unusually high concentration of idiots. I'm living proof!

May 31, 2001
Originally posted by: nakedfrog
How much are fruits and vegetables?
Not cheap.

Considering how much use I get out of them, they're not expensive. If I sat down and ate nothing but X, Y, or Z vegetable for my meal, yes, that might get pricey. As ingredients for various recipes, they really aren't badly priced at all.

May 31, 2001
Originally posted by: MrChad
You're comparing apples and oranges: home prepared food vs. restaurant prepared food.

If you look at what it costs to buy x number of calories, "junk" food is usually cheaper than fruits and vegetables.

http://www.mymoneyblog.com/arc...nomics-of-obesity.html

My thread is regarding comments made in obesity threads on this forum, and empty, junk calories will just leave you hungry for more.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002

people who eat fast food a lot, will typically cook unhealthy food when they do cook so what does it matter? I own a deep fryer and have pretty much figured out how to deep fry everything from potatoes to hot pockets to burritos (chimmichanga) eating healthy costs too much and takes too much effort. I buy chicken, dip it in eggs, roll it in flower and deep fry it for 13 minutes BOOM dinner. with veggies I have to be careful to buy fresh ones, but not too fresh, I have to make sure I eat them before they spoil.

I'm not fat, but I eat like a fat person. Most fat people I know don't make any excuse they just go "fuck it I'm fat and I like to eat fried foods" But, it is a lot more work to cook healthy.

veggies don't fill me up, I could eat 5 full size salads and still be hungry. And when I do eat healthy I tend to get hungry again much quicker. I need meet and grease to really give me a full feeling. Of course I'm able to eat a 1 lb burger with fries like it was a 99 value meal so maybe I'm abnormal, but without the junk calories I seem to leave a meal feeling less than satisfied .

*runs off to fry some wings*

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
Where are you folks getting cheap junk food? It's not that cheap as far as I can tell. A celery bunch is definitely cheaper than a bag of potato chips at my grocery store.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by: QueBert

people who eat fast food a lot, will typically cook unhealthy food when they do cook so what does it matter? I own a deep fryer and have pretty much figured out how to deep fry everything from potatoes to hot pockets to burritos (chimmichanga) eating healthy costs too much and takes too much effort. I buy chicken, dip it in eggs, roll it in flower and deep fry it for 13 minutes BOOM dinner. with veggies I have to be careful to buy fresh ones, but not too fresh, I have to make sure I eat them before they spoil.

I'm not fat, but I eat like a fat person. Most fat people I know don't make any excuse they just go "fuck it I'm fat and I like to eat fried foods" But, it is a lot more work to cook healthy.

veggies don't fill me up, I could eat 5 full size salads and still be hungry. And when I do eat healthy I tend to get hungry again much quicker. I need meet and grease to really give me a full feeling. Of course I'm able to eat a 1 lb burger with fries like it was a 99 value meal so maybe I'm abnormal, but without the junk calories I seem to leave a meal feeling less than satisfied .

Make sure you have your next of kin post to this thread when you drop dead of heart disease one day in the not so distant future.

MrChad

Lifer
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: ShotgunSteven
Originally posted by: MrChad
You're comparing apples and oranges: home prepared food vs. restaurant prepared food.

If you look at what it costs to buy x number of calories, "junk" food is usually cheaper than fruits and vegetables.

http://www.mymoneyblog.com/arc...nomics-of-obesity.html

My thread is regarding comments made in obesity threads on this forum, and empty, junk calories will just leave you hungry for more.

I'm not sure I understand your point.

If I have $20 to spend at the grocery store, I can get more calories for my dollar by buying "junk" food than buying healthier options such as fruits and vegetables. There are many reasons for this (crop subsidies, cost of production / distribution, etc), but those are the facts.

I would argue that a bigger factor in the obesity crisis is simply lack of education. There is a huge portion of the population that simply does not understand what it means to eat healthily and how to prepare healthy meals. My wife observed this first-hand while teaching underprivileged kids in the Bronx. Many kids (and their parents) simply don't realize just how unhealthy many fast food options can be.

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
Originally posted by: QueBert

Eating healthy is not more expensive or more work. Eating healthy food that tastes the same as unhealthy food is expensive and more work, though.