Yankees clinch a playoff spot... Officially

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BKLounger

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2006
I am a devout sox fan and f'n hate the yankees but i do have to give them credit. They were 14 games back and almost out of mind, but after the all-star break the sox sh!t the bed and the yankees were doing amazing. I'm looking forward to the sox-yankees in the alcs.

BHeemsoth

Platinum Member
Jul 30, 2002
Originally posted by: Sinsear
Originally posted by: akshatp
I got my playoff tickets tuesday :). Too bad the only world series tix I got were for game 7. If they make it that far I don't think there is a National League team that can take em to 7 games.

Great season; great comeback from sub .500 and 14.5 games back to where they are now. It's been great to watch.

Go Yanks!!!!!

We all signed up for the Postseason ticket oppurtunity and my sister got an email saying she was selected to purchase (2) tickets to either an ALDS or ALCS game.

How did you get tixx to the WS already?

<----Season tix license holder :)

I got a partial plan so I only get tix for 1 game in each series. Good luck with the purchase. The other morning when I got to get mine it was crazy with the ticketmaster gig. Long wait times. Best seats available still only landed in the bleachers for one of the games. But it's better than not being there.

Going to up my plan next year I think so I'm guaranteed tickets in the new stadium. Not looking forward to the new stadium prices though.

Ah, you lucky dog. As soon as I move back to NY I'm getting a partial season plan. As it is now, I only make it to 4-6 games per year, between YS and Fenway. Luckily I'll be able to get Yankees season tickets much easier than Giants (I'm number 126,xxx on the waiting list).

As for me, I did get selected for the lottery today. I'll let you all know in 15 minutes or so how it went. I'm hoping to get ALDS home game 1 tickets, as that is the only one I can likely make it to, due to night classes during the week.

geecee

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2003
A nice comeback by the Yankees, regardless. Considering the mediocrity/failure of many of their starters (Pavano, Igawa, Mussina, Clemens), they managed to cobble together a staff that was quite dependable by the end of the year. They got some solid, gritty seasons out of Pettite and Wang, and a few flashes of the future in Hughes and Kennedy. Their bullpen, a disaster early on, also seemed to solidify down the stretch, despite some disappointmenting performances as well (Farnsworth, Myers).

The nice blend of veterans (albeit higher priced) and young players reminds me of the successful Yankee teams of the mid-late 90's when a young Bernie Williams, Jorge Posada, Mo Rivera, Andy Pettite and Derek Jeter complemented Boggs/Brosius, O'Neill, Strawberry, El Duque, Cone, Wetteland and Martinez. ARod most certainly had an MVP worthy season. Hopefully, he'll keep it up come playoff time.

I can't help but wonder if they're considering switching Chamberlain to a closer role. With Mo nearing retirement age, it has to be a possibility, especially considering how dominant he looked in his callup the past couple months.

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000
If AROD doesn't get mvp with a unanimous vote they need to implement random drug testing for the judges. There is not even a close second place.

Sinsear

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2007
Originally posted by: rpbri2886
Originally posted by: akshatp
I got my playoff tickets tuesday :). Too bad the only world series tix I got were for game 7. If they make it that far I don't think there is a National League team that can take em to 7 games.

Great season; great comeback from sub .500 and 14.5 games back to where they are now. It's been great to watch.

Go Yanks!!!!!

We all signed up for the Postseason ticket oppurtunity and my sister got an email saying she was selected to purchase (2) tickets to either an ALDS or ALCS game.

How did you get tixx to the WS already?

<----Season tix license holder :)

I got a partial plan so I only get tix for 1 game in each series. Good luck with the purchase. The other morning when I got to get mine it was crazy with the ticketmaster gig. Long wait times. Best seats available still only landed in the bleachers for one of the games. But it's better than not being there.

Going to up my plan next year I think so I'm guaranteed tickets in the new stadium. Not looking forward to the new stadium prices though.

Ah, you lucky dog. As soon as I move back to NY I'm getting a partial season plan. As it is now, I only make it to 4-6 games per year, between YS and Fenway. Luckily I'll be able to get Yankees season tickets much easier than Giants (I'm number 126,xxx on the waiting list).

As for me, I did get selected for the lottery today. I'll let you all know in 15 minutes or so how it went. I'm hoping to get ALDS home game 1 tickets, as that is the only one I can likely make it to, due to night classes during the week.

Hope that works out for you. I tried to get tix for that one. Was nothing left. I got home game 2.

BHeemsoth

Platinum Member
Jul 30, 2002
I wasn't able to get any tickets today in the public pre-sale.

From what I gather, not many people had luck, outside of those looking for individual tickets.

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
Originally posted by: geecee
A nice comeback by the Yankees, regardless. Considering the mediocrity/failure of many of their starters (Pavano, Igawa, Mussina, Clemens), they managed to cobble together a staff that was quite dependable by the end of the year. They got some solid, gritty seasons out of Pettite and Wang, and a few flashes of the future in Hughes and Kennedy. Their bullpen, a disaster early on, also seemed to solidify down the stretch, despite some disappointmenting performances as well (Farnsworth, Myers).

The nice blend of veterans (albeit higher priced) and young players reminds me of the successful Yankee teams of the mid-late 90's when a young Bernie Williams, Jorge Posada, Mo Rivera, Andy Pettite and Derek Jeter complemented Boggs/Brosius, O'Neill, Strawberry, El Duque, Cone, Wetteland and Martinez. ARod most certainly had an MVP worthy season. Hopefully, he'll keep it up come playoff time.

I can't help but wonder if they're considering switching Chamberlain to a closer role. With Mo nearing retirement age, it has to be a possibility, especially considering how dominant he looked in his callup the past couple months.

Chamberlain has really impressed me. I'm not sold on Hughes, I think he's pretty overrated. by that I mean he's not going to be the next Clemens, but should be a good 3rd starter. The rest of the team has played well, a lot of peripheral players on the Yankees benefit from the strength of their lineup.

Anyway, cheers, and here's to a Red Sox / Yankees ALCS. :)