YAMT: Yet another Marriage thread. Why get married?

XZeroII

Lifer
Jun 30, 2001
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but in leu of recent events, I have to question why people even want to get married. Marriage used to be a sacred bond where you basically told God that you would spend the rest of your life with someone, usually for the purpose of starting a family.

I'm not a marriage expert (not being married myself), but can someone explain just why people want to get married in this modern world, and why gays want to be married. What advantage is there besides just being able to say you are married? AFAIK, you also get penalized and have to pay more on your taxes when you're married.

Why do people want to be married?

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
For one, people didn't always do it for religious reasons. In fact, in our colonial history, it was either love or a contract between two families and religion rarely entered into the picture.

But, people marry for myriad reasons: Love, societal expectations, lega/financial benefits, convenience, religious, moral, raise a family under the societal banner of marriage.

XZeroII

Lifer
Jun 30, 2001
Originally posted by: conjur
For one, people didn't always do it for religious reasons. In fact, in our colonial history, it was either love or a contract between two families and religion rarely entered into the picture.

But, people marry for myriad reasons: Love, societal expectations, lega/financial benefits, convenience, religious, moral, raise a family under the societal banner of marriage.

What advantage is there, though. Does love change when you get married? Does it get better? How is it more convenient when it costs thousands of dollars and you get a piece of paper out of it? How is it moral? How does it help a family?

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
tim robbins and susan sarandon: not married

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Originally posted by: XZeroII

What advantage is there, though. Does love change when you get married? Does it get better? How is it more convenient when it costs thousands of dollars and you get a piece of paper out of it? How is it moral? How does it help a family?

Sometimes love does change.

A woman may fall more deeply in love with a man once she knows he's committed, via marriage, to be loyal to her for the rest of their lives.

To me, marriage is the **OFFICIAL** and **CONFIRMED** way of saying I will stay monogamous with you.

Plus, there are centuries of tradition of making that official commitment and most of our society comes to expect that at some point in a relationship.

Jan 18, 2001
People get married the first time for love, the second time for stability, and the third time for life insurance. :)

Actually i am a big fan of marriage. Try it, you'll like it. :)

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
It's basically like sex and being drunk. You don't have much room to comment about it until you've tried it.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Why do people want to be married?

Because my wife wanted to.
rolleye.gif

Seriously though, I am very happily married. Coming up on 12 years with this woman. It's all good.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but in leu of recent events, I have to question why people even want to get married. Marriage used to be a sacred bond where you basically told God that you would spend the rest of your life with someone, usually for the purpose of starting a family.

Ironically this, and for undying love for my wife is why I got married... go figure.

PowerEngineer

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Geekbabe
To provide rights and protections to the one you love.

Things like: medical coverage (although "significant other" coverage is becoming more common), retirement benefits, social security benefits, joint property considerations, inheritance treatment, custody issues, etc.

And as others have said, to commit to a stable family setting for raising children.

bigalt

Golden Member
Oct 12, 2000
Originally posted by: vi_edit
It's basically like sex and being drunk. You don't have much room to comment about it until you've tried it.

i totally agree with this, but it makes me wonder how anyone gets married.

i myself am pretty sure that i will someday, but i can't really think of any reason to do it other than the fact that my girlfriend will probably break up with me if i don't.

i absolutely do not look forward to getting engaged or going through the ceremony. eloping wouldn't be so bad, but i still cringe at how pacified my girlfriend will be by a circular piece of metal around her finger.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
marriage tax penalty pretty much went away with Bush's last tax changes.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000

its is a legal and binding commitment to the state and god.

bigalt

Golden Member
Oct 12, 2000
Originally posted by: spidey07

but binding in what sense? you have to pay alimony/child support when you split?

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: bigalt
Originally posted by: spidey07

but binding in what sense? you have to pay alimony/child support when you split?
"legally binding" as in a contract.