YAMT: The Streets

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Yet another music thread!

For the past few months I've been rockin' hard to The Streets. I'm really not sure what type of music it is. I guess it's kinda rap-like... But it doesnt have that hardedge at all and it's done by a brit. I highly recommend it. Anyone else lub The Streets?

Here's the AMG bio:
Mike Skinner's recordings as the Streets marked the first attempt at adding a degree of social commentary to Britain's party-hearty garage/2-step movement. Skinner, a Birmingham native who only later ventured to the capital, was an outsider in the garage scene; though his initial recordings appeared on Locked On, the premiere source for speed garage and, later, 2-step from 1998 to the end of the millennium. He spent time growing up in north London as well as Birmingham, and listened first to hip-hop, then house and jungle. Skinner made his first tracks at the age of 15, and during the late '90s, tried to start a label and sent off his own tracks while he worked dead-end jobs in fast food. At the end of 2000, he earned his first release when the Locked On label -- already famous for a succession of burning club tracks from Tuff Jam, the Artful Dodger featuring Craig David, Dem 2, and Doolally -- signed him for the homemade "Has It Come to This?" By the following year, the single hit Britain's Top 20 and the inevitable full-length followed in early 2002. That album, Original Pirate Material, unlike most garage compilations and even the bare few production LPs, found a home with widely varying audiences, and correspondingly earned Skinner a bit of enmity from the wider garage community. By the end of the year, it had been released in the States as well, through Vice. ~ John Bush, All Music Guide

saxophonoia

Platinum Member
Nov 6, 2003
Yeah british rap. It's good. I need to pick up the newer cd. I know a lot of people that don't like it because it's not like american hip hop but personally I think its great.

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Originally posted by: saxophonoia
Yeah british rap. It's good. I need to pick up the newer cd. I know a lot of people that don't like it because it's not like american hip hop but personally I think its great.

I didnt think the new CD came out yet?

saxophonoia

Platinum Member
Nov 6, 2003
I have Original Pirate Material. There must not be a newer full cd out yet. I just looked on the iTunes music store and there's one that came out last september with 6 songs on it but it has some songs that are on Original Pirate Material.

MBony

Platinum Member
Sep 16, 2003
I really like 'Original Pirate Material'. I think the style of music is called break-beat, not sure though. The song where he and another guy rap at each other like a conversation is really funny to me.

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Originally posted by: MBony
I really like 'Original Pirate Material'. I think the style of music is called break-beat, not sure though. The song where he and another guy rap at each other like a conversation is really funny to me.

"Irony of it All" :) Awesome song!

Amazon only has OPM listed on there... I think a buddy of mine said their new one was coming out in a month or two.

saxophonoia

Platinum Member
Nov 6, 2003
Originally posted by: Intake77
Originally posted by: MBony

"Irony of it All" :) Awesome song!

Amazon only has OPM listed on there... I think a buddy of mine said their new one was coming out in a month or two.

Nice....I'll be on the lookout for it.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
I picked this up and slept on it for a while. Gave it another listen and realized it is pretty entertaining. It's cool for a different CD to listen to.

EDIT: I just picked up the new Eyedea and Abilities cd and the new MURS cd...both tighter than hell. Pick those up if you want a couple great cds.

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Originally posted by: pyonir
I picked this up and slept on it for a while. Gave it another listen and realized it is pretty entertaining. It's cool for a different CD to listen to.

EDIT: I just picked up the new Eyedea and Abilities cd and the new MURS cd...both tighter than hell. Pick those up if you want a couple great cds.

I'll check 'em out, I'm always on the lookout for new bands to listen to. Thanks.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
I remember seeing Eyedea on some battle show back in the day. Same guy i'm assuming.

Yeah..he won the battle that was featured on HBO.

saxophonoia

Platinum Member
Nov 6, 2003
Originally posted by: pyonir
I remember seeing Eyedea on some battle show back in the day. Same guy i'm assuming.

Yeah..he won the battle that was featured on HBO.

yeah that's right.....i knew i remember him from somewhere.