Yamaha TSS-1B $69.88 AR amazon.com deal?

Kevin

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2002
You can get Inspires 5300 for $55 with no rebate from Amazon. They seem to produce the same wattage as well. I haven't heard either though...

grancasa

Banned
Oct 17, 2002
These are not just speakers, like the Inspires. These are a reciever as well, with Dolby Digital and DTS surround decoding, and the ability to handle multiple inputs. These are a steal for this price.

scorpi141

Oct 13, 2002
$30 Rebate Here These speakers are pretty good. I've ordered them already. The only question is how to send the rebate??? Do i put in a letter or just like this??? I haven't had any rebates before.

Kevin

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2002
Originally posted by: grancasa
These are not just speakers, like the Inspires. These are a reciever as well, with Dolby Digital and DTS surround decoding, and the ability to handle multiple inputs. These are a steal for this price.

Is your TV right next to your computer?

Bagger

Golden Member
Nov 17, 2000
Originally posted by: kevin000

In response to your seemingly sarcastic remark not directed at me: yes, as a matter of fact it is (in my bedroom, and also in my family room). I used a set of Labtec Pulse 424s as my "home theater" speakers in my bedroom for quite a while (Had a 4-port audio/video/s-video switch with computer, dreamcast, dvd player, and Satellite receiver hooked up to it with Labtecs hooked into the front headphone audio out jack). Made for a nice budget setup. I paid $40 for the speakers and $30 for the switch. Same price as this Yamaha set but nowhere near the features!

The problem I have with your question Kevin000 is that it sounds like you're assuming someone only has one TV and one computer. I have 3 TVs and 4 computers. And I'd dare say that most of the people that read these forums have at LEAST 2 of each in their house. Why does it seem so unlikely that we wouldn't have one room where our computer was close enough to our TV where we could utilize this speaker set in the manner described?

Kevin

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2002
Originally posted by: Bagger
Originally posted by: kevin000

In response to your seemingly sarcastic remark not directed at me: yes, as a matter of fact it is (in my bedroom, and also in my family room). I used a set of Labtec Pulse 424s as my "home theater" speakers in my bedroom for quite a while (Had a 4-port audio/video/s-video switch with computer, dreamcast, dvd player, and Satellite receiver hooked up to it with Labtecs hooked into the front headphone audio out jack). Made for a nice budget setup. I paid $40 for the speakers and $30 for the switch. Same price as this Yamaha set but nowhere near the features!

The problem I have with your question Kevin000 is that it sounds like you're assuming someone only has one TV and one computer. I have 3 TVs and 4 computers. And I'd dare say that most of the people that read these forums have at LEAST 2 of each in their house. Why does it seem so unlikely that we wouldn't have one room where our computer was close enough to our TV where we could utilize this speaker set in the manner described?

Because if you're TV is not next to your computer then it defeats the purpose to use the same speakers. My Computer and TV are in my bedroom, on opposite sides. Why would I want my TV sound pointed near my computer? Most people have their speakers set up so they feel the full effect while sitting at the computer. Well, what if I'm not sitting at my computer, then the TV sound is populated towards the computer desk and not at where I'm sitting watching TV.

grancasa

Banned
Oct 17, 2002
Because if you're TV is not next to your computer then it defeats the purpose to use the same speakers. My Computer and TV are in my bedroom, on opposite sides. Why would I want my TV sound pointed near my computer? Most people have their speakers set up so they feel the full effect while sitting at the computer. Well, what if I'm not sitting at my computer, then the TV sound is populated towards the computer desk and not at where I'm sitting watching TV.

I wasn't talking about using the speakers for both a computer and TV. I was talking about using these as the only surround system for a small home theater system. I am going to use this in my bedroom home theater system, hooking up a DVD player to the digital input and a DirecTV to the analog input.

Drakula

Dec 24, 2000
Ok, one dumb question. How do you order it? I did not see an "add to cart" button.

shoplifter

Dec 7, 2001
Originally posted by: Drakula
Ok, one dumb question. How do you order it? I did not see an "add to cart" button.
Confusing as hell, isn't it? I was trying to order the damn speakers since Sunday morning but there was no "add to shopping cart" button. I decided to try ordering again later that evening and same problem. So I figured I'll put it in my "wish list" and in there was a buy now button, when I clicked on it a message came up saying: sorry, we're out of stock. please check again later... Amazon sux

tstrike

Oct 10, 2002
ordered one last week on sunday
should be arriving in a couple of days
sweet deal! :)

fr

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
At Amazon.com, if you don't have an option to add it to your cart, it is not in stock.

phreeco

Feb 13, 2001
I just received the system. The sound reproduction is simply outstanding, especially considering its price of $100 or less. The decoder is quite capable and flexible to be used as w/ a PC.

The sub is excellent for small rooms, but definitely not for party.

I wonder if it's possible to use a sub other than the one that came w/ the system? If one wants more power?

There is a S.Woofer jack, so physically attaching another sub is possible, but i wonder if that would damage the receiver/decoder or the sub because afterall it's not a home theater receiver, it was made to work w/ its own systems(spk, subs).

Has anyone tried that?

-phreeco

Lark888

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
I also ordered these and have been very pleased with the sound for the price. Used with my PC for a short bit & was nice sound. Actually placed them in my den on the TV and DVD setup. Using optical in (cable came with package) for DTS & Dolby Digital AND the analog inputs. Nice clear sound & bass that doesn't make my spouse want to leave the room :)

Should be able to put other subwoofers on the system but won't get much additional sound unless it is a powered sub.

phreeco

Feb 13, 2001
i'm thinking of plugging a used JBL PB10 (150 watts) sub into this receiver, but am afraid that the decoder/receiver can't handle it.

pg e-6, "the SPEAKER OUTPUT terminals on the rear of the amplifier unit are only designed for connection of the supplied speakers. never connect these terminals to an AV amplifier or a power amplifier, as it may cause misoperation, fire and / or damage to this system."

Sub Woofer connector is part of the SPEAKER OUTPUT terminals ...

If that's indeed true, what about connecting this receiver to Creative Extigy via coaxial connection and the sub into Extigy via either optical or the optional S.Woofer input? Would that work?

This system is great, but i just like to experience with it ....

-Sean