YAM(otorcycle)T (It's a long post!)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zixxer

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2001
Originally posted by: SamurAchzar
My advice - DON'T get a motorcycle for practical reasons, as there are none - believe me (unless you live in a dense traffic area and may lane split).
When gas prices get higher, consider it again, but for the meanwhile - you're going to take WAY more life threatning risks and assorted headaches for 10$ a month?!

I mean, the math is clear in this case, but how much is the risk worth to you?
I believe you're also going to keep the car, so you have two insurances.

That comes from a guy who had a street bike, and currently rides a dirtbike ('05 KTM 250EXC, in case someone cares ;)). I'm in no way biased against bikes, I just think getting one because of gas mileage isn't the best reasoning.

Besides, I wouldn't want to ride that bike on the freeway - you're a bit of a sitting duck. It can go faster, but you'll have to wring it out, and then you won't be getting the mileage you're doing your calculations on.
In any case many people would argue that you'll outgrow this bike quick and replace it with something larger, although your current car doesn't really tell you apart as a motorhead ;)

I'd suggest two other - obvious - alternatives, but I really don't know your financial status, other than you want to save gas money:

1. Get a newer, more economic car. You'll get better comfort and saftey too. That's might not be cheaper but you'll get a nicer car with some of the price being offset by the gas price.
2. Get a larger bike - Ninja 650, DL650, etc. Better, safer, probably not that much worse on fuel economy, especially on the freeway. But again, more money, and probably more expensive insurance. It can be justified, I guess, on the basis of enjoying the ride much more, too.

Again, your math is probably as good as anybody else, and only you know your financial status, but your idea doesn't seem so realistic...

Hope that helps!

Also keep in mind he lives in a very rural area

jme5343

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2003
Yessir, zixxer is right. No freeway, really. It's rural highway. I can choose the 55 mph highway or the 65 mph on the way to work. I passed 5 cars coming home today. Deer are more my concern than cars, lol.

jme5343

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2003
Well, after some comparison, the Ninja 250 seems the better deal when compared to just about anything. A 250 Honda rebel tops out at 70 mph, not too safe, imo. The Ninja will still do more just in case you needed it, like if being chased by police or something ;).