YAJMVP: So we have three possible candidates now...

Danman

Lifer
Nov 9, 1999
- Romney: We all know him and what he's capable of. I'm a little indifferent, but I'm not sure if he would supplement McCain's run.

- Charlie Crist (FL Governor): Now, this hits closer to home for me. Even though FL dems like to bash the shit out of him, Crist has been doing a great job for his first term and has worked himself up the ranks. I like him, but I'm not sure if he would consider running with McCain.

- Bobby Jindal: First I've heard of this new Louisiana Governor. He's very young (36 years old), but seems very bright and has a great head on his shoulders. Although, it seems he's extremely anti-abortion, and has some different views than McCain (could be bad or good).

Thoughts people?

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Question---are all three meeting with McCain in Arizona this weekend as the topic summary suggested?

As a somewhat non McCain fan, I still have to respect that its really McCain who must pick who he wants to run with.
And in some ways, its McCain who has the greatest need to hit a home run with his VP pick.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
I'm hoping for Romney. The only thing better would be a constitutional amendment to allow GWB to run as his official teammate, rather than just as an unofficial political mentor.

Danman

Lifer
Nov 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Lemon law
Question---are all three meeting with McCain in Arizona this weekend as the topic summary suggested?

As a somewhat non McCain fan, I still have to respect that its really McCain who must pick who he wants to run with.
And in some ways, its McCain who has the greatest need to hit a home run with his VP pick.

Yes, they are going to his place for a Memorial weekend barbecue supposedly.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Thank you Danman for the clarification of---Yes, they are going to his place for a Memorial weekend barbecue supposedly.

Again, I have to respect the McCain right to make the decision, but it would be interesting to be an ant at that picnic and watch it happen.

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007
It'll be Huckabee he will pick.

He was invited to the BBQ also but went on his 34th anniversary trip instead. I highly doubt that he is picking his veep based on this BBQ. And it will not be Romney, he brings zero to the ticket (putting aside my dislike for him).

Charlie Crist is too left leaning and I know nothing about Jindal.

EDIT: Also, 15 - 20 other people were also invited... but making it sound like he is basing his choice off who looks best eating ribs instead of qualifications makes a better news story.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
among those 3, I'd hope for Jindal.

I don't think it will be Huckabee or Romney -- Huckabee might alienate the centrists/moderates that McCain is trying to take from Obama and Romney really brings nothing to the ticket.

the problem with Crist is that McCain's probably going to lose. he'd deliver FL for McCain, but that's almost a given anyways and I'm not sure he'd be willing to drop his governorship over such steep odds.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Thump553
I'm hoping for Romney. The only thing better would be a constitutional amendment to allow GWB to run as his official teammate, rather than just as an unofficial political mentor.

Ditto, we need some real republicans on the ticket to scare up the democratic vote amongst those dems who feel McCain is a liberal.

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007
Originally posted by: loki8481

I don't think it will be Huckabee or Romney -- Huckabee might alienate the centrists/moderates that McCain is trying to take from Obama and Romney really brings nothing to the ticket.

the problem with Crist is that McCain's probably going to lose. he'd deliver FL for McCain, but that's almost a given anyways and I'm not sure he'd be willing to drop his governorship over such steep odds.

I'd have to disagree. Minus the abortion and gay marriage part he is closer to centre. What will alienate is the fear mongering that he wants to turn the US into a theocracy. Explore his record and Governor of Arkansas and he'll bring many people. Hell, he got like 45% of the African-American vote, which is hard for a R to do, much less one in Arkansas.

EDIT: I don't mean centre, I mean he isn't GWB. He holds traditional GOP values -- like small government and controlled spending, strong states and a weak fed.

Danman

Lifer
Nov 9, 1999
Originally posted by: ZeroIQ

I'd have to disagree. Minus the abortion and gay marriage part he is closer to centre. What will alienate is the fear mongering that he wants to turn the US into a theocracy. Explore his record and Governor of Arkansas and he'll bring many people. Hell, he got like 45% of the African-American vote, which is hard for a R to do, much less one in Arkansas.

EDIT: I don't mean centre, I mean he isn't GWB. He holds traditional GOP values -- like small government and controlled spending, strong states and a weak fed.

The only problem I see with a McCain + Huckabee ticket is the lack of economic and international relation experience. Neither of them have a strong foundation of those core values, which will be a problem.

SeminoleMarine

Nov 1, 2004
Being from Louisiana, I hope it is not Jindal. He just took office and things are looking good right now. I would like to see him get a chance to turn things around in this state. I think he has a possible presidential run in his future, but he needs to wait until 2016. JMO.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
We might have the whole thing all wrong. McCain may just be seeking their collective advice on some other GOP candidates who might best unite the GOP. And that particular set do have the contacts to consult other GOP leaders. When all is said and done, McCain will probably need to consult with a lot of his fellow GOP members to make sure he is not alienating any strong constituency with his VP pick.

Still, in the end, its a McCain decision to make and I would not presume to advise him.

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007
Originally posted by: Danman
Originally posted by: ZeroIQ

The only problem I see with a McCain + Huckabee ticket is the lack of economic and international relation experience. Neither of them have a strong foundation of those core values, which will be a problem.

He has had tons of experience in that area as Governor for 10.5 years.

Originally posted by: b0mbrman
Yeah, Romney would be fantastic. I still say Huckabee would be the most dangerous

Reasons? Specifically the bolded portion. What exactly does Romney bring to the ticket that the former CEO of Fedex doesn't bring?

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001

I really like Jindal but I don't think he's ready yet. He just got the Governorship of Louisiana. I think he's done good things so far and could be a great contender in 2012 or 2016. But not 2008.

neodyn55

Oct 16, 2007
Isn't Jindal far-right social conservative? Absolutely no abortions (not even in the case of rape,) intelligent design in schools, anti gay marriage, etc etc. If McCain picks him, he's going to spook the moderates, especially given his age and the possibility of Jindal having a presidential run if McCain wins.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: Lemon law

Are you sure about that?

I think McCain has a little more freedom with who he picks than Obama. McCain has the experience to run for the President on his own.

Obama on the other hand needs to compliment his lack of experience with someone who has experience. He also has to pick someone who the Hillary crowd will like. He has a much tougher job to do. Although he can kill two birds with one stone by picking someone from the Hillary camp. Just think, if Richardson had endorsed Hillary or just sat on the side lines he would have had a better shot at the VP. But now that the Hillary camp is against him I think his chances go down.