YAJ(ob)T:Cray vs. SGI

Skiddex

Golden Member
May 17, 2001
So I've had great first round interviews with SGI and Cray and the hardware engineering positions they have open sound pretty sweet (logic design and testing) so does anyone have an opinion on where each of these companies are going? Both positions are located in Chippewa Falls, WI.

The interviewer from SGI was saying they are in a better position than Cray because SGI is moving into the storage market while Cray is staying in the supercomputing area.

opinions?

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Don't go for SGI, they will either go bankrupt (again) and/or get acquired in the near future. In either case it means restructuring and layoffs.

SarcasticDwarf

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
Originally posted by: halik
Don't go for SGI, they will either go bankrupt (again) and/or get acquired in the near future. In either case it means restructuring and layoffs.

Sure, but what has Cray been doing lately? Are they really financially stable?

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Cray, easily. They've adapted to the marketplace; SGI lost touch a long time ago.

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
man thats a rough choice, both companies are on their way out but if i had to pick i'd pick sgi

if i remember correctly SGI once had bought cray and then ended up selling it off in pieces.

zerocool1

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2002
femaven.blogspot.com
Originally posted by: Ameesh
man thats a rough choice, both companies are on their way out but if i had to pick i'd pick sgi

if i remember correctly SGI once had bought cray and then ended up selling it off in pieces.

I know sgi purchased cray, didn't know that they ended up selling off cray's business units.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Neither, keep looking. Aren't there a lot of tech jobs around Chicago? Motorola?

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Not to sound negative, but given the conditions of those companies, I'd just use them as resume builders. Get in and learn everything you can. Really milk it.

If they end up being stable, you're in a good position. If they fall apart, you've got a great resume. Just a thought.

Skiddex

Golden Member
May 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Chaotic42
Not to sound negative, but given the conditions of those companies, I'd just use them as resume builders. Get in and learn everything you can. Really milk it.

If they end up being stable, you're in a good position. If they fall apart, you've got a great resume. Just a thought.

thats kind of my thought. as a new college grad i know i can learn a lot at both and could really beef up my resume with some awesome design tool experience. and if it works out...great too

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Chaotic42

good point.

ZetaEpyon

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2000
Take either and buy lots of (brewed in Chippewa Falls) Leinenkugel's beer. :beer::thumbsup: