YAIT: Ipod video, all hype or best bet?

S Freud

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
I recently sold my MP3 player and now I am regretting it, I had a creative zen 30GB brick so it wasn't what you call portable. I have been looking into the Ipod series and I really like the Video, being able to watch videos on it would be cool because I have a lot of downtime between classes. I need something that is portable and preferably something I can use in the gym.

Do the people of ATOT think its a worth while investment though, I have heard that they are all hype, I have also heard they are worth every penny. I just want to make sure that this is something that I am going to enjoy, especially for $300.

So let us hear the people's voice :)

also if you know where to get one for pretty cheap that would be appreciated also.

Thanks

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
Some people are suggesting the vision M due to better file type support and video quality. But i really liked the ipod for its form and the number of accessories available and the video quality isn't ass. The only pain is having to convert avi files over to mp4 and dealing with itunes.

S Freud

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
Originally posted by: Mo0o
Some people are suggesting the vision M due to better file type support and video quality. But i really liked the ipod for its form and the number of accessories available and the video quality isn't ass. The only pain is having to convert avi files over to mp4 and dealing with itunes.

This is true, I don't want a headache everytime I need to convert files just to watch a video. Is it really that difficult or that much trouble?

SLCentral

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2003
If you have the right software, its just a couple of clicks, and then you wait.

I'd get the iPod. It's the best player just to sit down and listen to music with no hassles.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Crappy battery life for video. I'd say if you can wait, go for the true video iPod or the Toshiba Gigabeat S series when they come out.

S Freud

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
Originally posted by: loup garou
Crappy battery life for video. I'd say if you can wait, go for the true video iPod or the Toshiba Gigabeat S series when they come out.

Whats the battery life like? When will those models be released?

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Originally posted by: S Freud

Whats the battery life like? When will those models be released?
iPod with video life is something like 2 hours of video playback.
True video iPod is unknown, S series should be in May (April 28 in Japan).

S Freud

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
Are your sure about the battery life? Most that I am seeing say that the battery will last 8hrs. The longest I could wait would be until middle of June, I end school then and start my job of sitting in a tractor for 10+hrs a day, I need something to listen to. :)

GeneValgene

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2002
i love my ipod 5g video...but i use it primarily for listening to music

the video quality and sound is actually pretty good, but the battery life is not so good for video, and it's annoying encoding

with that said...i love my ipod for playing music, itunes as my managing software, battery life is awesome for music, and it's portable

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Are your sure about the battery life? Most that I am seeing say that the battery will last 8hrs. The longest I could wait would be until middle of June, I end school then and start my job of sitting in a tractor for 10+hrs a day, I need something to listen to. :)
I'm talking about video life, since that's what you mainly seemed concerned about in your OP. Music playback is about 14 hours.

S Freud

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
I'm talking about video life, since that's what you mainly seemed concerned about in your OP. Music playback is about 14 hours.

Wow :shocked: it runs the battery down that bad when watching video?

Also added poll