YAHT: Would you continue with one type...

Eos

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2000
Our current maple hardwood floor looks like this. It's glued and nailed down.

Would another species that closely matched the current maple in color, but not texture be a bad thing?

Our office is about 30 feet away and we'd like to have wood floors in there, but aesthetically speaking, are different species in the same house generally frowned upon by potential home buyers?

We do plan to sell the house eventually, but would rather avoid putting down one floor we like, then pulling it up and placing maple t&g hardwood.

QurazyQuisp

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2003
I would personally go with something darker. I wouldn't go the same color but different type of wood, it'll look odd.

nwfsnake

Feb 28, 2003
If they are not touching, it may not be too bad. I think it usually detracts from the price when flooring looks pieced together. Continuity is key! ;)

jiggahertz

Golden Member
Apr 7, 2005
I would probably try to keep it the same throughout. If you don't like the original flooring though, go with something you like. You are going to be the one that has to live with it for X number of years you're living there. That is worth more to me than a slight price hit when you go to sell. Everyone has different tastes anyway, the buyer may rip up all the flooring and put it what they like.

Jan 31, 2002
Originally posted by: jiggahertz
Everyone has different tastes anyway, the buyer may rip up all the flooring and put it what they like.

Precisely.

I looked at a house that had the entire main floor done in hardwood. Seamless between rooms. No carpet anywhere. HATED IT.

- M4H