Yahoo mail finally enables SSL

Dude111

Golden Member
Jan 19, 2010
Only on the new theme they have! (That black garbage)

I have 2 accounts and niether have that option... (They are thankfully on the older interface (The one before they went to this intrusive black trash))

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
I was able to enable SSL for only one Yahoo account and not the other. The option isn't there.

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
I think that they are gradually turning on the option - rolling it out in stages.
If it doesn't come up in another week or so i'd contact them.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Where is this located? I cannot find it in options (yes, I saw that it may not be available yet, just want to know where to look for it).

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
From the main mail screen -
click on the Gear icon in upper right
go to Mail Options
in the General section
Advanced Settings on Bottom
There is a checkbox that says Turn on SSL

and this is the description:
Make your Yahoo! Mail more secure with SSL (i.e. preventing others from accessing your account at Internet cafes)

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
From the main mail screen -
click on the Gear icon in upper right
go to Mail Options
in the General section
Advanced Settings on Bottom
There is a checkbox that says Turn on SSL

and this is the description:
Make your Yahoo! Mail more secure with SSL (i.e. preventing others from accessing your account at Internet cafes)

That did it!!! :)

I never knew until you posted this that Yahoo mail was unencrypted. I have verified with the Firefox page info that the old one was not and that the new one is (with SSL checked).

Thanks a million!

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Edit #2: Now can't get in with either FF or IE. Going to try to get in and turn off SSL and see if it matters....*sigh*

Edit: Nevermind. Had shut down ALL of my FireFox windows and it started working again. Will monitor and see if this is a fluke or something with SSL and FireFox.

Update: Firefox, which initially connected will no longer connect. IE will still connect. Damnit, why oh why must I use multiple browsers to get around the web at times....

Last edited:

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
you're welcome.. I don't know why it took them so long after gmail started encrypting to do it too.

No problems here with firefox or opera. What error are you getting?

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
you're welcome.. I don't know why it took them so long after gmail started encrypting to do it too.

No problems here with firefox or opera. What error are you getting?

Not getting an error, just never goes to the page. Once I turned off SSL, it has worked fine. I'll tinker with it at home. Not sure what's up with that.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
try disabling your addons, something may be interfering.

I see what part of the problem is. My work e-mail is through Yahoo Business and it's linked to my personal home yahoo e-mail. However, the SSL option is not available for business e-mails. I think the fact that I can switch back and forth between the two with a drop down is screwing something up. I might try to disable adblock +, the only addon that I'm running.

HIASUS

Dec 19, 2012
I think that they are gradually turning on the option - rolling it out in stages.
If it doesn't come up in another week or so i'd contact them.

Greetings to all - New to the place.

SSL hasn't gotten to my neck of the woods yet. Would be nice if it did.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I was finally able to chose SSL for my other Yahoo account. So now both use SSL.

Still not available on business accounts. If I enabled it on my personal account that's linked to the business account, the business side is not fully functional. Will have to wait! :(