YAGunT: SiGARMS GSR 1911 .45

May 31, 2001
I laid off the firearms hobby for a time, but I am getting back into it. When cleaning out some old magazines recently, I found a copy of the March 2004 issue of Guns & Ammo. The cover feature was the SiGARMS GSR 1911. It is listed as a nominee for the 2004 Guns & Ammo Gun Of The Year award, though I do not know if it won.

The article gives it a glowing review, and I was curious if anyone here ever had a chance to try one out and if so, what they thought of it. I am also interested if anyone has heard of any negatives that might have popped up after they had been in service and circulation for a time.

SiGARMS GSR 1911

gregshin

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2000
the early sig 1911 were notorius for having QC probs and badly fitting parts. Even tho they were from caspian frames and slides with ed browning parts their smiths didnt know how to put a 1911 together. the newer ones are better now of course but im not impressed on their fit and finish and the trigger as well.

for the money i personally believe their are finer 1911's for the money. i'm a collector of 1911s but i also shoot them for competition, bulleye practice, and tactical classes. how much are are you looking to spend?

gregshin

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2000
Originally posted by: gregshin
the early sig 1911 were notorius for having QC probs and badly fitting parts. Even tho they were from caspian frames and slides with ed browning parts their smiths didnt know how to put a 1911 together. the newer ones are better now of course but im not impressed on their fit and finish and the trigger as well.

for the money i personally believe their are finer 1911's for the money. i'm a collector of 1911s but i also shoot them for competition, bulleye practice, and tactical classes. how much are are you looking to spend?

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Coming from a big sig fan, if you're going to get a sig, get something from the Classic Pxxx series. Their polymer Pro series is nice too.

If you're looking to get a quality 1911, I'd look elsewhere. Springfield, Smith, Kimber, etc.

FallenHero

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2006
Originally posted by: Kelvrick
Coming from a big sig fan, if you're going to get a sig, get something from the Classic Pxxx series. Their polymer Pro series is nice too.

If you're looking to get a quality 1911, I'd look elsewhere. Springfield, Smith, Kimber, etc.

I'm gonna have to agree with the above. Although Sig makes a quality firearm 95% of the time, for some reason they put interns to work on their 1911's. I've heard nothing but good things about the Kimber BTW.

As for Guns and Ammo recommendation...i wouldn't trust that mag. Too heavily influenced by the gun makers.