YAGT: What should I do?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nan0bug

Banned
Apr 22, 2003
Originally posted by: bunker
Hi Roger :p

Seriously though, any parents here have experience with temper tantrums? My 17 month old daughter (the G in YAGT ;)) recently started throwing herself on the ground and screaming and crying if she doesn't get what she wants. We don't give in to her, but feel like crap when she's balling her head off.

They tend to only last for a couple minutes but my wife said one lasted about 7 minutes last night.

I know there arent' that many parents here, but any input, IF YOU HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH THIS, would be nice.

I yell really loudly and if she doesnt stop I slap her. Usually I don't have to slap her because she knows when I get loud if she doesn't stop whatever I'm being loud about, she's going to get slapped.

Call me abusive but I think parents are too afraid to put their hands on their kids these days. Kissing their butts just reinforces negative behavior.

That said, theres a fine line to walk. You can't overdo it or get loud for every little thing, or it just loses its effect. Choose when to make a stand wisely.

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
thought that was 17 years old at first. My little sis had trouble like this at about 17 months. We'd put her in her room and let her scream herself out, even if it took an hour. She broke a window (was spanked for that) and was spanked for and deliberate and direct disobedience. The tantrums simply were locked in as breakproof a room as we could find.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
I have a paddle you can borrow. It's an old cutting board, lightweight polyethlene with about 50 holes drilled in it for minimal air resistance while butt swatage commences.

PS.. The holes spell out Attitude Adjustment;) One of my fav songs.

Turin39789

Lifer
Nov 21, 2000
Originally posted by: HotChic
thought that was 17 years old at first. My little sis had trouble like this at about 17 months. We'd put her in her room and let her scream herself out, even if it took an hour. She broke a window (was spanked for that) and was spanked for and deliberate and direct disobedience. The tantrums simply were locked in as breakproof a room as we could find.

same here, guess i cant read tonight

whaleskinrug

Golden Member
Sep 25, 2003
I think ignoring her is the best idea -- we have a ******14****** yr. old neighbor that wakes us up on occassion with his screeching "mf%$#ing" temper tantrums that can last for 30 minutes or more (I can't believe his lung power). Sometimes we can hear his Mom trying to cajole him and it just makes it worse