YAGT: OMG I love guns

Page 517 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kneedragger

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2013
If it doesn't have wrench flats you'll just have to hand tighten and make sure it's nice and snug until you figure out what muzzle device to use. Tip #1 is make sure you have proper roll pin punches and pin holders. It makes jobs like installing low profile gas blocks much easier... Tip #2 use moly grease/Aeroshell MS-22/anti-seize or similar on the receiver threads before putting on barrel nut. If you ever want to swap out handguards in the future, at least...

Also... if you use a suppressor, make sure your handguard gives you enough clearance to mount it. I made that idiot mistake on my 300 BLK build so now I need to buy a different handguard (it's too long and the ID of the rail is too small for my suppressor).
I'll grab some of that grease.

Thanks for the tip

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
$92? Damn, they must really be raising the prices to counter the demand from the 41F shenanigans.

Pretty sure I bought three of 'em at that price from Lanbo's. AC142, the 5.56 1/2x28 threaded muzzle brake option.

Looks like they've barely raised prices. $63.60 as of this posting:
https://www.lanbosarmory.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=28583

Ah, gotcha. I was looking at SilencerCo's store. For some reason I assumed that they'd be the only ones to have those brakes.

Thanks for the link! Do you like the ASR brake? I have a Griffin M4SD Flash Comp and a PWS FSC30 comp and while they both work extremely well, the side blast and loud noise they produce is sure crappy. I'm leaning towards getting just straight flash hiders for the new muzzle devices that'll work with a suppressor. The recoil and muzzle rise from 556 and 300 BLK aren't extreme, anyway.

Bartman39

Elite Member | For Sale/Trade
Jul 4, 2000
Bottom of the list again...? Whats the deal...?

Got another AR15 the other day...:D
It has a none serial numbered receiver (custom built) and a rapid fire stock on it... Dont really care for the stock but hey it is different...? Pic's are below...

Uh that is Sally one of our dachshunds she kinda wanted on the bed...

Last edited:

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Now that we know we are having another boy, due in December, I have to start shopping for guns for him.

When my 3yo was born, I bought him a savage rascal in blue for him to have when he is old enough, so I will probably pick up another one of those in a different color. Maybe a wood one, maybe green.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Saw a ruger precision in 6.5 creedmore at my local shop that I was very tempted to buy yesterday, but I was strong and only purchased the two cases of 5.56 I went in there to buy.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
Saw a ruger precision in 6.5 creedmore at my local shop that I was very tempted to buy yesterday, but I was strong and only purchased the two cases of 5.56 I went in there to buy.

I really love the idea of this rifle. I just can't justify getting one as I don't have anywhere (outside of just driving out into the desert) to really let it run to it's capability. It would be such a waste in the safe.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
I really love the idea of this rifle. I just can't justify getting one as I don't have anywhere (outside of just driving out into the desert) to really let it run to it's capability. It would be such a waste in the safe.

I am fortunate to be surrounded by BLM and National Forest land, so it is pretty easy for me to find areas to set up long range targets. I would love to get one for long range coyote hunting, but my Nightforce NXS equipped .308 fills that niche pretty nicely as it is, so justifying buying that creedmore along with an optic worthy of it is kind of a stretch for me right now.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
I am fortunate to be surrounded by BLM and National Forest land, so it is pretty easy for me to find areas to set up long range targets. I would love to get one for long range coyote hunting, but my Nightforce NXS equipped .308 fills that niche pretty nicely as it is, so justifying buying that creedmore along with an optic worthy of it is kind of a stretch for me right now.

I could drive out into the desert, but I really hate being out in the heat. I also don't like the idea of shooting the distance (the rifle is supposed to excel at the mile range) as there's just too many things that could go wrong. I'm 99.99999% sure I'm overthinking it, but I'd much rather be safe than not see some idiot jogging through my shots.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
I've always used plain old muffs for my ear protection when shooting, these days though I'm looking to finally get some of the fancy electronic (hopefully bluetooth) noise cancelling muffs. Anyone use any that they recommend?

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
I've always used plain old muffs for my ear protection when shooting, these days though I'm looking to finally get some of the fancy electronic (hopefully bluetooth) noise cancelling muffs. Anyone use any that they recommend?

I have this setup that I used to use all the time, and I like how they work -

https://www.amazon.com/2PACK-R-01526-Electronic-Earmuff-Protection/dp/B005T7N52Y/?tag=ssafety-20

I don't use them much anymore, since I now have suppressors that cover pretty much every firearm I have with a few exceptions.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Been thinking about picking up a pistol for a bug out/get home bag, recently. I'd like the spend less than, say, $275 on it. Prefer 9mm Luger but 9x18mm would be ok too (e.g. Makarov).

Looks like there's new Taurus PT111 Millenniums available for $260.
There's used (fair condition, not too good aparently) Hungarian Hi-Powers for just under $280.
There's used (fair condition) Israeli JO Kareen Hi-Powers for just under $270.
There's a used police trade-in M&P 9mm for $350. A hundred bucks more than I'd like to spend but I wouldn't worry about the M&P not working.
There's some Polish P64 Makarovs for $230-$270, good to very good condition. Long, heavy, crappy triggers though (and 9x18mm instead of 9mm Luger).

Plus there's more, I'm sure, that's just the bit of searching I've done so far. Bah... lots of choices. I guess none of them would be a real bad choice. As tempting as that M&P is, I'm not sure it would be wise spending that much money on something I'd most likely never use. I'm not sure though, lol.

I'd probably prefer a smaller pistol as opposed to a full size service pistol, though. Weight is a consideration. I'm actually leaning towards the PT111 at the moment.

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
The Taurus PT-111 Millennium G2 9mm is the best compact 9mm on the market for the money IMHO. At $209.99 before shipping and transfer fee you just can't go wrong.

I bought mine from Kentucky Gun Co. for that price last year and love it. It's accurate as hell right out of the box, holds 12 rounds in the mag, and fits my hand like a glove. The only drawback is the longish trigger pull. It has a somewhat unique double/single action. There is no hammer (striker fired) or decocker, so you are single action for the first and all other shots after racking the slide. But, if the round does not fire you can pull the trigger again and the gun operates like a traditional double action pistol, cocking and firing in one long trigger pull for second strike capability.

There is also a trick where you pull the slide off, remove the spring, tip up the barrel and manually drop a round in the chamber, then reassemble so you achieve a round in the chamber without racking the slide or cocking the gun. Having a round in the chamber and a full double action trigger pull for the first shot is how I carry my pistol. This makes it a very compact 12+1 9mm at a steal of a price. Not to mention it comes with two 12 round magazines. Extra factory mags are on the expensive side at $30, but I read somewhere that (I think) higher capacity Sig 228 mags fit the gun???

Check out that link and other opinions on the gun, but that $209.99 price is as low as I've seen that pistol, so jump on it fast if you decide that's the gun you want.

Last edited:

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Been thinking about picking up a pistol for a bug out/get home bag, recently. I'd like the spend less than, say, $275 on it. Prefer 9mm Luger but 9x18mm would be ok too (e.g. Makarov).

There's used (fair condition, not too good aparently) Hungarian Hi-Powers for just under $280.
There's a used police trade-in M&P 9mm for $350. A hundred bucks more than I'd like to spend but I wouldn't worry about the M&P not working.
There's some Polish P64 Makarovs for $230-$270, good to very good condition. Long, heavy, crappy triggers though (and 9x18mm instead of 9mm Luger).

Plus there's more, I'm sure, that's just the bit of searching I've done so far. Bah... lots of choices. I guess none of them would be a real bad choice. As tempting as that M&P is, I'm not sure it would be wise spending that much money on something I'd most likely never use. I'm not sure though, lol.

I'd probably prefer a smaller pistol as opposed to a full size service pistol, though. Weight is a consideration. I'm actually leaning towards the PT111 at the moment.

If that M&P9 used is in your price range, I would consider this instead -

http://www.mrgundealer.com/product....-3-17-rnd-mags-845737003616-full-size-14-1047

Reactions: Kazukian

renz20003

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2011
NuXC1wR.jpg

The only gun I own, it's a .22

Kazukian

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2016

http://www.kygunco.com/Product/View?ItemNo=107071

$216 free shipping.

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
NuXC1wR.jpg

The only gun I own, it's a .22
The Heritage Rough Rider .22. My brother and I shot the heck out of a 9" barrel model when we were kids. I picked one with the 4 3/4" barrel for $109 after I missed the black Friday $99 sale. I'm ashamed to admit I sometimes twirl it like a little kid while watching old westerns.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
If that M&P9 used is in your price range, I would consider this instead -

http://www.mrgundealer.com/product....-3-17-rnd-mags-845737003616-full-size-14-1047

Yeah the FNS9 is a good one, I'd definitely consider that. The only thing I'd rather not have, besides the price lol, is the full size. It's going in a backpack that's already jam packed. But I wouldn't rule it out yet. Thanks for the link.

Man that's even cheaper than Bud's. Seems like a great deal.

renz20003

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2011
The Heritage Rough Rider .22. My brother and I shot the heck out of a 9" barrel model when we were kids. I picked one with the 4 3/4" barrel for $109 after I missed the black Friday $99 sale. I'm ashamed to admit I sometimes twirl it like a little kid while watching old westerns.

My uncle had it when he was a kid. For whatever reason a few years ago he decided I should have it.

It is cool looking, but definitely not the leader in home defense.

Kazukian

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2016
Yeah the FNS9 is a good one, I'd definitely consider that. The only thing I'd rather not have, besides the price lol, is the full size. It's going in a backpack that's already jam packed. But I wouldn't rule it out yet. Thanks for the link.

Man that's even cheaper than Bud's. Seems like a great deal.

Yankee Marshall on YouTube really likes the reseller, if I remember, says they've never screwed up yet, and he buys a ton of stuff, he's on a Beretta stainless kick lately.

Last edited:

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
I have all kinds of goodies showing up this week. Some parts for my underfolder AK will be here by the end of the week - a CNC Warrior compact brake and a magpul moe+ grip. I also have 200 rounds of .375 H&H showing up, and whenever PSA gets around to shipping them, I should get my 250rd cases of 300 blackout subsonic here.

Also, when browsing in my LGS today I was able to score 5,000rds of CCI Quiet-22 for $250, for use in my bolt action .22 and suppressor, and 5 gen 3 AK pmags.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Also, when browsing in my LGS today I was able to score 5,000rds of CCI Quiet-22 for $250, for use in my bolt action .22 and suppressor, and 5 gen 3 AK pmags.

Holy crap man, that is cheap for .22LR! Especially for CCI, and suppressor-specific.