YAGT: OMG I love guns

Page 504 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
as I shut down a few hobbies, reloading is on the list of potential things to do, 223 38sp and 9mm would be the biggies

though if I started reloading, I would probably look at 300blackout and 45 as additions to the collection

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
I worked on reloading some 300 blackout this weekend, making my own brass that is. I got the necks cut off of 200 pieces of 5.56 brass, and got them trimmed to length. Now I just need to resize all of them.

Artdeco

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
That was what I was thinking too. I fell between those examples.
When I am trying out new loads I'll shoot 60-80 testing and 80-100 practice. If just target practising 150-200. I only go once a week. So I have the time to reload. Doing a 100 an hour or so is easily done once I am set-up. It is loading test rounds that take time. Once I get a load I am going to shoot a lot I'll do a few hundred. Then change over to testing loads.

If I was only doing 9mm I would have to load >5000 rounds to reach pay back on start up cost. But, the satisfaction payback is the 1st day spent shooting nothing but my own reloads.

Nice! I need to be loading several thousand rounds a day to feel good about getting one.:)

The plan is to shoot only my reloads in the 300 WM and 338 Lapua

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
another day, another delivery from PSA. Got another one of my spare lowers built into a complete rifle, this time with a PSA build kit+ 16" freedom upper with 11" keymod they had on sale weekend before last. Just waiting on the rocksett to cure on the suppressor mount.

NWSAJZt.jpg

Artdeco

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
another day, another delivery from PSA. Got another one of my spare lowers built into a complete rifle, this time with a PSA build kit+ 16" freedom upper with 11" keymod they had on sale weekend before last. Just waiting on the rocksett to cure on the suppressor mount.

NWSAJZt.jpg

Will be picking up my AR pistol and rifle from son in law in Texas this month, they both have quite a few titanium parts. Will post some pics :)

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Any of you folks reload?
I've reloaded 5.56/.223, 9mm, and 30-06. I also have dies for .40 S&W but still haven't gotten (seen available) the necessary powder at Cabela's.

I started maybe two years ago or so by buying a Lyman Reloading Kit centered around a turret press. It's a pretty decent kit but I supplemented it by getting an RCBS Chargemaster Combo (on sale; jeez they're expensive), digital scale, calipers, universal de-capping die. A couple more small odds and ends maybe but those are the main things I feel were very much worth it.

I'm definitely no expert but I haven't had any issues with anything. Ask away; no guarantee I'd be able to answer it though, haha. ;)

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001

NWSAJZt.jpg

Did you do the coloring yourself?

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Did you do the coloring yourself?

Yes, with some crayon and cleaning it up with a wd-40 soaked paper towel.

The other lower I have is identical, but came colored with a red spider when I bought it. I also have a pending form 1 on it, so other than the engraving that the red one will have I figured I could color this one green to make it look different.

BlitzPuppet

Platinum Member
Feb 4, 2012
Picture of the new AK to be added to the collection, a century AK63D. This has probably got to be one of the best parts kit AKs I have ever seen, based on fit and finish. Certainly nothing like the century wasr-10's I used to pass on because of canted sights and mag rattle

Romanian guns are generally very ugly, but as long as they shoot and are in spec (you're able to compensate for the sight cant) then most give them a thumbs up. Ask the AKOU what they think of the Romanian AKs, that is after they're done humping them while their rabid fans drool. Mag wobble was just the Century contractors being sloppy when opening up the single stack wells for double.

Yugo guns are generally much prettier looking and what you have is another example of this.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Romanian guns are generally very ugly, but as long as they shoot and are in spec (you're able to compensate for the sight cant) then most give them a thumbs up. Ask the AKOU what they think of the Romanian AKs, that is after they're done humping them while their rabid fans drool. Mag wobble was just the Century contractors being sloppy when opening up the single stack wells for double.

Yugo guns are generally much prettier looking and what you have is another example of this.

As I understood it when I was researching that AK63d, they are built on Hungarian parts kits. Is it actually more like a yugo? I am not too versed in AK variants.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
Yes, with some crayon and cleaning it up with a wd-40 soaked paper towel.

The other lower I have is identical, but came colored with a red spider when I bought it. I also have a pending form 1 on it, so other than the engraving that the red one will have I figured I could color this one green to make it look different.

I've been wanting to fill in a couple of the ARs I have. I just haven't had time to even look to deep into it. A friend sent me this last week. Not sure how accurate it is, but it has a few ways to go about it.

painting%20roll%20marks.jpg

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
I've been wanting to fill in a couple of the ARs I have. I just haven't had time to even look to deep into it. A friend sent me this last week. Not sure how accurate it is, but it has a few ways to go about it.

painting%20roll%20marks.jpg

The crayon method works well and is easy to clean up, and helps that I have a toddler and therefore a ton of crayons around to use. I figure if it starts coming out it is easy enough to replace. Seemed pretty fool proof.

This is the video I originally went by when I decided to color fill a few things - http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NHVJi8eZ0es

kinev

Golden Member
Mar 28, 2005
Looking to pick up a Springfield XD Mod 2, but waiting for another "gear up & go" type promotion (couple free mags with new purchases). Anyone know if Springfield will do another one anytime soon?

IGemini

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2010
Looking to pick up a Springfield XD Mod 2, but waiting for another "gear up & go" type promotion (couple free mags with new purchases). Anyone know if Springfield will do another one anytime soon?

Gear Up promo usually starts around August-September.

Mloot

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2002
I am looking for some holster recommendations. I recently traded my XDS (it carried very nicely in a single-clip IWB holster) for an SP101, which I had wanted for a while. The SP came with a Simply Rugged OWB pancake holster which, while comfortable, puts more limits on my mode of dress than I like.

I am needing for suggestions for an IWB holster for the SP (3" barrel length), if any of you have some insight. I like to carry strong side at about 3 to 4 o'clock. TIA.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
I like the incog. I wore it for a while at the appendix, but now wear it around 4 o'clock. I use the single clip at the trigger guard. Don't like the new eclipse method, I feel like it adds too much thickness.

IGemini

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2010
I like the incog. I wore it for a while at the appendix, but now wear it around 4 o'clock. I use the single clip at the trigger guard. Don't like the new eclipse method, I feel like it adds too much thickness.

I also have an INCOG. Great holster but it won't work for an SP101, they don't make 'em for revolvers.

I like using White Hat's MaxTuck when I carry my SIG Pro. They recently started making a MaxClip that seems to fit the bill. Good customer service, too. The kydex they first sent wouldn't cooperate with my loaded chamber indicator. Gave them some details, got a replacement free of charge. :thumbsup:

http://www.whitehatholsters.com/maxclip-iwb-holsters/

Mloot

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2002
Thanks for the suggestions. That Whitehat holster looks like what I was thinking of. I have carried a 3" 686+ IWB several times recently, but it gets a little uncomfortable sometimes. The SP should be a bit easier to do so.