YAGT: OMG I love guns

Page 502 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
Isnt that semi auto? I can't use semiauto to hunt in Pa

The Ruger Precision Rifle is a bolt action. It's more of a combo of a AR with a bolt action.

Link to product page. I was pretty hot to get one, but discovered that I don't have a range close by that would let me stretch it's legs. It's a distance rifle and unless I just went out into the desert I wouldn't be using it as well as it could be.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
The Ruger Precision Rifle is a bolt action. It's more of a combo of a AR with a bolt action.

Link to product page. I was pretty hot to get one, but discovered that I don't have a range close by that would let me stretch it's legs. It's a distance rifle and unless I just went out into the desert I wouldn't be using it as well as it could be.

it's a bit more expensive than I am looking for too.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
it's a bit more expensive than I am looking for too.

Really? One of it's big points is it's a much lower cost than those kind of distance rifles normally go for..

Edit:... I'm now assuming you're just looking for a nice bolt action and not trying to shot that kind of distance.. Sorry.. I was very interested in that rifle but mostly because it was a great price for the distance it shoots at.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Really? One of it's big points is it's a much lower cost than those kind of distance rifles normally go for..

Edit:... I'm now assuming you're just looking for a nice bolt action and not trying to shot that kind of distance.. Sorry.. I was very interested in that rifle but mostly because it was a great price for the distance it shoots at.
The rifle will be used primarily for hunting groundhogs, so a few hundred yards at most.
looking to spend around $600 or less

I told the FFL to get the Tikka T3 Lite but he says it "might be a little" because he doesn't currently have an order with the supplier. I'm just thinking, we'll, you do now. this FFL has the best prices around but his customer service lately has been a joke. He seems more interested in going out and having fun than taking care of his customers. Its like he's already got his money so he doesn't care to make me wait. There's been other times where my gun was there but he "had to take his woman out" or he rode his motorcycle to work so he couldn't get the rifle from the post office that day, so I had to wait a day or 2 before I could pick up my rifle. Guess it's time to go somewhere else after I get this all sorted.

Last edited:

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Need to finish ultrasonic cleaning my M48 parts this evening (well, besides the stock). Finally got the bolt disassembled after I decided to disassemble it while the safety was in the "fire" position (it wouldn't move to "safe") and it fucking got stuck, lol.

I'll post some pics when she's all cleaned up; I think it'll look really nice.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
I was able to score some of the federal auto match .22LR that the local Ace had on sale today, and got to see a hilarious meltdown.

We have this scummy store in town, known as Rough and Rustic, who is a shady gunshop. The owner has had several ND's in the store (caused by him, not customers), and likes to send his buddies to buy up 22 ammo when it is in stock, to sell at exorbitant prices. Most of us know to avoid the guy, and refer to his shop as "Ruff and rusty."

Anyways, when I was in Ace getting in on their sale today (not a super cheap sale, but $21.99 a brick for 325rd packs of federal auto match) one of their shadow buyers came in. Ace knows they do this, so for this sale they wrote on every single brick they had (500,000+ rounds) "Ace Hardware $21.99" in red sharpie. The shadow buyer guy was absolutely livid that they would do this, but would not explain why he was so mad if he was going to shoot the .22 and throw away the box. The owner and the sporting goods manager just laughed in his face which seemed to send his blood pressure even higher. The owner of ruff and rusty is not permitted to be in the store (for trying to start a fight with the sporting goods employees a while back over pricing), so he has to send his friends.

About an hour later, I see a post in the sporting goods facebook group from the owner of ruff and rusty, complaining how Ace is selling ammo and guns under cost to purposefully drive him out of business. This is the same guy advertising "Rare" ruger precision rifles for $2199, with a cheap chinese scope on it and nothing else.

I think that the sharpie trick is a good idea to keep the guys trying to buy this stuff up for resale, or at least put a dent in it. It is not a huge deal where I live, as at least Ace gets .22 in stock fairly regularly, but it was a good idea. Watching that guy throw a temper tantrum, and the second facebook rant by the owner of the crappy shop was entertaining at least.

And I did get 10 bricks of auto match today, $219.90

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
weight and accuracy and caliber. not going to shoot 8mm at groundhogs

Well, it comes in 7.62 as well if you can find an Israeli one (I find the fact that Israel used modified K98s to be....slightly ironic) but I doubt you want 7.62 either.

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
I was able to score some of the federal auto match .22LR that the local Ace had on sale today, and got to see a hilarious meltdown.

We have this scummy store in town, known as Rough and Rustic, who is a shady gunshop. The owner has had several ND's in the store (caused by him, not customers), and likes to send his buddies to buy up 22 ammo when it is in stock, to sell at exorbitant prices. Most of us know to avoid the guy, and refer to his shop as "Ruff and rusty."

Anyways, when I was in Ace getting in on their sale today (not a super cheap sale, but $21.99 a brick for 325rd packs of federal auto match) one of their shadow buyers came in. Ace knows they do this, so for this sale they wrote on every single brick they had (500,000+ rounds) "Ace Hardware $21.99" in red sharpie. The shadow buyer guy was absolutely livid that they would do this, but would not explain why he was so mad if he was going to shoot the .22 and throw away the box. The owner and the sporting goods manager just laughed in his face which seemed to send his blood pressure even higher. The owner of ruff and rusty is not permitted to be in the store (for trying to start a fight with the sporting goods employees a while back over pricing), so he has to send his friends.

About an hour later, I see a post in the sporting goods facebook group from the owner of ruff and rusty, complaining how Ace is selling ammo and guns under cost to purposefully drive him out of business. This is the same guy advertising "Rare" ruger precision rifles for $2199, with a cheap chinese scope on it and nothing else.

I think that the sharpie trick is a good idea to keep the guys trying to buy this stuff up for resale, or at least put a dent in it. It is not a huge deal where I live, as at least Ace gets .22 in stock fairly regularly, but it was a good idea. Watching that guy throw a temper tantrum, and the second facebook rant by the owner of the crappy shop was entertaining at least.

Great story. :thumbsup:

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
This is the same guy advertising "Rare" ruger precision rifles for $2199, with a cheap chinese scope on it and nothing else.

Wow. You can get one in Louisiana Bass Pro for over $1,000 LESS (when it is on sale without sale tax during the 2A sale in Oct/Nov). I made a post about it earlier in this thread = http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=37683281&postcount=12018

Same thing for the Keltec 9mm carbine at the gun shows. The sellers were asking several hundred dollars OVER MSRP.

Last edited:

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Wow. You can get one in Louisiana Bass Pro for over $1,000 LESS (when it is on sale without sale tax during the 2A sale in Oct/Nov). I made a post about it earlier in this thread = http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=37683281&postcount=12018

Same thing for the Keltec 9mm carbine at the gun shows. The sellers were asking several hundred dollars OVER MSRP.

You can get them in other stores in town for $1000 less when they have them too. This guy is just a known con artist. The scope he had on it was literally a $200 Hawke POS, but since it was a 6.5 creedmore version of the rifle he had the price jacked up and was telling everyone it was super hard to get and rare.

I got banned from his personal facebook group not long after becoming a member because I asked a bunch of public questions about how expensive it was to repair the damage from his several negligent discharges in his store.

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004

The 10 brick purchases by your average shooter contribute to the problem as much as the resellers who overcharge. Many folks don't shoot 10 bricks (3250 rounds) of .22 in a single range trip, weekend or even a month. Everybody stockpiling that much .22 is forcing the ammo industry to tool up for 3-5x their normal production and raise prices to pay for it. All because of fear and so people can overfill their gun safes and brag.

But if you actually shoot that much, Adair, then more power to you and I apologize.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
The 10 brick purchases by your average shooter contribute to the problem as much as the resellers who overcharge. Many folks don't shoot 10 bricks (3250 rounds) of .22 in a single range trip, weekend or even a month. Everybody stockpiling that much .22 is forcing the ammo industry to tool up for 3-5x their normal production and raise prices to pay for it. All because of fear and so people can overfill their gun safes and brag.

But if you actually shoot that much, Adair, then more power to you and I apologize.

I shoot a lot, but I probably have 70-80 bricks on hand at the moment. Buy it cheap, stack it deep. As long as I get mine at a cheap price, I don't care if anyone else doesn't get any. I am just not turning around and selling it for double the money when the supply dries up. To be fair, I do this with all calibers, not just rimfire. And reloading components.

Lucky for me I don't and will not ever shoot at a range, I am surrounded my perfectly good forest service land. Every day is a range trip.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
You can get them in other stores in town for $1000 less when they have them too. This guy is just a known con artist. The scope he had on it was literally a $200 Hawke POS, but since it was a 6.5 creedmore version of the rifle he had the price jacked up and was telling everyone it was super hard to get and rare.

I got banned from his personal facebook group not long after becoming a member because I asked a bunch of public questions about how expensive it was to repair the damage from his several negligent discharges in his store.

All 3 versions of the rifle (.308, 6.5, .243) have the same MSRP of $1,400 (no scope). That guy is just a greedy bastard. I am a businessman too and I understand all businesses must make money/profit but that is just insane for the markup.

I do not know how he is able to stay in business with that kind of business practice.

Last edited:

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003

LOL. That Ace Hardware is fricking awesome, for doing that to stop that scum from buying and reselling the ammo as well as for just having .22 LR in stock (and at $0.06/round too! frickin amazing). Man I wish that store was in my town.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
LOL. That Ace Hardware is fricking awesome, for doing that to stop that scum from buying and reselling the ammo as well as for just having .22 LR in stock (and at $0.06/round too! frickin amazing). Man I wish that store was in my town.

Yeah, the owner also owns the Ace in the next town, and they do far more business in the sporting goods side than they do the hardware side. I am good friends with the owner of the two stores and the sporting goods manager of the local store, I think they usually try to keep $3-4 million in inventory alone in the sporting goods side. They also had the cheapest price around for my Sig Legion I just picked up, $1100 out the door.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
weight and accuracy and caliber. not going to shoot 8mm at groundhogs

MVP Scout in AAC blackout. You can shoot the groundhogs in silence. the scout comes with a threaded barrel... and the blackout round begs for subsonic.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
MVP Scout in AAC blackout. You can shoot the groundhogs in silence. the scout comes with a threaded barrel... and the blackout round begs for subsonic.

lol, the suppressor is going to cost about what I am looking to spend on the gun only.

Artdeco

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
lol, the suppressor is going to cost about what I am looking to spend on the gun only.

Buy once, cry once

You need to look at long range scope prices, my balls just shrink up into my neck when I look at used ones.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Buy once, cry once

You need to look at long range scope prices, my balls just shrink up into my neck when I look at used ones.

i've seen them.

not sure i can even use a suppressor while hunting.

that ammo looks a bit more expensive than .223 too

Artdeco

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
i've seen them.

not sure i can even use a suppressor while hunting.

that ammo looks a bit more expensive than .223 too

My plan is to become one of adairusmc's neighbors, and mooch off of his leftovers, and I suspect he'll survive the zombie apocalypse too :)