YAGT: OMG I love guns

Page 497 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I got my CZ527 last week but there were some issues so they are exchanging it for me. hopefully i get the new one tomorrow or Saturday. Getting tired of waiting, lol.

ViperXX

Platinum Member
Nov 2, 2001
I haven't read through this thread and maybe you guys have already talked about red dots and optics. But my question is, are EO Tech's worth the money? The Model 512 is $400.00 and that's just for a holographic red dot. That's pretty pricy. I'd like to get the 512 and match it with a G33 magnifier but that will cost me over a $1000.00!

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I haven't read through this thread and maybe you guys have already talked about red dots and optics. But my question is, are EO Tech's worth the money? The Model 512 is $400.00 and that's just for a holographic red dot. That's pretty pricy. I'd like to get the 512 and match it with a G33 magnifier but that will cost me over a $1000.00!
What are you planning to use the rifle for? If its just for range use probably overkill.

Usually you get what you pay for with optics though.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006

At one point, I thought they were perhaps worth the money, but in the light of them failing in cold weather, and issuing refunds to anyone who is asking for them I would avoid Eotech now.

If I were going to spend $400+ on a red dot, right now my first choice would be a Trijicon MRO, which seem to be amazing. I have an astigmatism in my right eye though, so I have a little trouble with red dots, and have been using illuminated optics like the Vortex Viper. I want to try a strike eagle soon too, that is my plan for my 5.56 AR since I am robbing the Vortex Viper to put on my blackout.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Today was a very very good day today.

My LGS (an Ace Hardware), had ammo on sale, so I was able to get two 500rd bricks of CCI Quiet-22, for $30 a brick. I also got some "Cheap" 300 blackout ammo as well.

But while I was in there, UPS brought them the best news ever - the Sig Legion P226 9mm I ordered is in.

I had to go back to work as I was 80th in queue for the background check, but I will have it this afternoon and will post some pics.

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
If you want a nice optic that isn't over the top expensive, Primary Arms has some good ones. Might not take the abuse or have the 5 year battery life of some of the expensive ones, but for a range rifle they are plenty tough and you can always keep a spare battery on hand. I've got their 30mm tube with 4 reticles (AA battery version) along with their 3x magnifier, have put over 2k rounds through it and has never lost zero, only replaced the battery once too.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
What kind of build quality issues? Just curious.
I mentioned them earlier but the stock was very like...wobbly even though all the screws were tight.

The other issue was the follower in the mag would come up over the lip of the mag and get stuck so you had to reposition the follower or the bolt would not close or you couldn't load any ammo into the mag. It might resolve itself with use this might resolve itself and if there was ammo loaded it probably wouldn't cause an issue.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Good day indeed -

Nt1UNmd.jpg

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
got my replacement rifle tonight. everything is much better on the new one. Even the stock looks better with some cool tiger striping going on.

http://imgur.com/a/00JWa

Got some CZ rings and put a Bushnell Elite 4200 8-32x40 scope on it. Scope is a bit massive and heavy. It's 18" long, not sure how much it weighs.

Last edited:

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
with scope and sling

http://imgur.com/WXPVj11

Sling is a Butler Creek V Grip. Not sure I like it. It certainly does grip well and stays put, but wearing just a t-shirt it pulls the t-shirt which i find a bit annoying.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
got my replacement rifle tonight. everything is much better on the new one. Even the stock looks better with some cool tiger striping going on.

http://imgur.com/a/00JWa

Got some CZ rings and put a Bushnell Elite 4200 8-32x40 scope on it. Scope is a bit massive and heavy. It's 18" long, not sure how much it weighs.

Pretty nice, still have one of these on the old Model 70 .223 Varmint Special.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/topic/753865/gonew/1

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
So anybody have a reason why I wouldn't want a stainless steel barrel for my next AR build? And by next I mean the Spikes zombie lower I painted about a year ago and haven't done anything with since then. Would love to find a fluted stainless barrel that wasn't outrageously expensive but I've resigned myself to a regular one if need be. In any case is there anything inherently bad about the stainless barrels?