YAGT: OMG I love guns

Page 496 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Got my C&R License and related paperwork in the mail this week, w00t!

One thing that I'm a bit confused about, though. I received a booklet of "Firearms Curios or Relics List" which contains the firearms that are considered "C&R" (though I don't believe it's 100% completely comprehensive). Anyway, there's a Section IV: "National Firearms Act Weapons Classified as Curios or Relics Under 18 U.S.C. Chapter 44." From the header:

The Bureau has determined that the following NFA weapons are Curios or Relics as defined in 27 CFR 478.11 because of their dates of manufacture. These NFA weapons, classified as Curios or Relics, are still subject to all the controls under the NFA. However, licensed collectors may acquire, hold, or dispose of them as Curios or Relics subject to the provisions of 18 U.S.C. Chapter 44 and 27 CFR Part 478.

In this section are things like "Bren, light machineguns, any model, any cal., British Commonwealth manufacture" and "Fabrique Nationale, model BAR, full automatic rifle, all cals., as mfd. by Fabrique Nationale, Herstal, Belgium." Does this mean with this C&R license alone one can get these automatic firearms? Or does one also need to be an NFA dealer (or whatever the Title/Type of license is called) to collect them?

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Got my C&R License and related paperwork in the mail this week, w00t!

One thing that I'm a bit confused about, though. I received a booklet of "Firearms Curios or Relics List" which contains the firearms that are considered "C&R" (though I don't believe it's 100% completely comprehensive). Anyway, there's a Section IV: "National Firearms Act Weapons Classified as Curios or Relics Under 18 U.S.C. Chapter 44." From the header:

In this section are things like "Bren, light machineguns, any model, any cal., British Commonwealth manufacture" and "Fabrique Nationale, model BAR, full automatic rifle, all cals., as mfd. by Fabrique Nationale, Herstal, Belgium." Does this mean with this C&R license alone one can get these automatic firearms? Or does one also need to be an NFA dealer (or whatever the Title/Type of license is called) to collect them?

List is not comprehensive. Basically anything over 50 years old is C&R. The gun itself has to be 50 years old. So say there's a gun that is still being produced today. You have a model made in 1940 and a model made in 2016. The model made in 1940 is C&R but the model made in 2016 is not C&R.

My understanding is you still need to do all the NFA stuff.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I am looking for a bolt action rifle in .223 for groundhog hunting. Have asked my local FFL that has good prices to provide me a price list for several rifles I have researched.

Gonna be tough deciding which one to get.

Initially I was looking for something cheap. I saw lots of posts about like Savage Axis, Ruger American lines that seemed good but then saw equal amount that is bad. So now I am looking at stuff slightly more expensive.

I'll need to buy a scope and accessories for it as well.

schneiderguy

Lifer
Jun 26, 2006
I am looking for a bolt action rifle in .223 for groundhog hunting. Have asked my local FFL that has good prices to provide me a price list for several rifles I have researched.

Initially I was looking for something cheap. I saw lots of posts about like Savage Axis, Ruger American lines that seemed good but then saw equal amount that is bad. So now I am looking at stuff slightly more expensive.

I've always thought the CZ 527 is neat. It's a miniaturized Mauser action (controlled round feed, claw extractor, fixed ejector) and should be better quality than the entry level "budget" bolt actions.

http://cz-usa.com/product-category/rifles/micro-centerfire-rifles/

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I've always thought the CZ 527 is neat. It's a miniaturized Mauser action (controlled round feed, claw extractor, fixed ejector) and should be better quality than the entry level "budget" bolt actions.

http://cz-usa.com/product-category/rifles/micro-centerfire-rifles/
Yep, thats one on my list. Not sure why its taking the guy so long to get back to me with prices. I mean he does it as a side business but still, you'd think he would get back asap so he could get a sale.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
List is not comprehensive. Basically anything over 50 years old is C&R. The gun itself has to be 50 years old. So say there's a gun that is still being produced today. You have a model made in 1940 and a model made in 2016. The model made in 1940 is C&R but the model made in 2016 is not C&R.

My understanding is you still need to do all the NFA stuff.

Thanks for the info. I kinda figured that you'd still need to do the NFA stuff for those firearms but the text wasn't very clear to me.

I can't really comment too much on this, but I recently watched a video from IV8888 and they didn't seem to be too impressed with the contemporary Ruger stuff (e.g. American rifle): They Don't Make 'Em Like They Used To

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
If you don't mind a synthetic stock and don't need the accutrigger or accustock, then The Savage Axis XP with a Bushnell 3-9x40 scope is a lot of rifle for the money. $284.99 w/free shipping, no tax outside of Ohio + your FFL's transfer fee (usually around $20-25.)

Yes, you can spend more for more gun, but this deal is damn hard to beat. I've got the same gun in .308 and love it for the money.

Artdeco

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
If you don't mind a synthetic stock and don't need the accutrigger or accustock, then The Savage Axis XP with a Bushnell 3-9x40 scope is a lot of rifle for the money. $284.99 w/free shipping, no tax outside of Ohio + your FFL's transfer fee (usually around $20-25.)

Yes, you can spend more for more gun, but this deal is damn hard to beat. I've got the same gun in .308 and love it for the money.

Agreed, saw that deal great price.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I've researched:

Savage Axis
Savage Axis with heavy barrel and accutrigger
Savage 11/111 Trophy Hunter XP
Savage 25 Walking Varmint
Ruger American Predator
Ruger American Ranch
Mossberg MVP
CZ 527
Weatherby Vanguard S2
Howa 1500
Howa 1500 Mini Action
Tikka T3 Lite

Only actually held 3 of the so far:
Savage Axis
Savage Axis with heavy barrel and accutrigger
Ruger American Predator

The Savage Axis line did not impress me at all. Felt cheap and the trigger sucked (very heavy). The heavy barrel Axis was too heavy for what I want it for. The scopes were junk too.

I really like the weight and feel of the Ruger American Predator. Felt nice but the reviews seem very mixed.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Sounds like a good plan.

I have a Winchester Model 70 Sporter Varmint in .223 just to stay in the same caliber of a few others I had, I used to go up to my cousins farm in the past and we'd snipe them from range.

He had a nice 22-250 he used for it.

Still, this might be worth taking a look at.

The Winchester Model 70 bolts are pretty nice and are probably many used ones around at a decent price.

I would not sell mine.

2U8zU9h.jpg

Have even cleaned it up since then, the pic didn't do it justice.

Is a pretty nice Burris scope on it, it cost almost as much as the rifle when I purchased it.

My father had bought it for another higher powered rifle he was purchasing at the time and decided not to buy, so I picked up the scope he had ordered for the 70.

At 100 yards, which granted is short range for this thing, you could hit a quarter ever single time with it, without trying hard.

Last edited:

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
That looks incredibly stupid. If you have open carry, why hide in plain sight? If you want small concealed why use that over many other small guns that have more than 2 shots?

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
That looks incredibly stupid. If you have open carry, why hide in plain sight? If you want small concealed why use that over many other small guns that have more than 2 shots?

Agreed. I vote no. Does somewhat concern me that a bunch of morons are going to think it's a "cool" way to have a gun and go buy them. Seems like terrible implementation. If I want a gun, I'll take a gun, not a pretend cell phone gun.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I ended up going with the cz 527. More than i was expecting to spend right now but i just couldn't get over the bad reviews on other guns while the cz had nothing but glowing reviews.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
I picked up a stripped lower on Friday that I think I am going to start building into a 300 blackout build. I will start with a 16" upper, and after the form 1 comes back I will acquire a shorter upper for it.

300 blackout will be new to me, but since I already have more than one suppressor that will work, I might as well give it a try. It might be nice for mule deer in the fall.

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
Took possession of my new mp5 pistol today and also filled out paperwork for converting it to a rifle. Now the wait.

ke-94rs-pistol-new-paint-009.jpg

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I picked up a stripped lower on Friday that I think I am going to start building into a 300 blackout build. I will start with a 16" upper, and after the form 1 comes back I will acquire a shorter upper for it.

300 blackout will be new to me, but since I already have more than one suppressor that will work, I might as well give it a try. It might be nice for mule deer in the fall.
:thumbsup:

I built a 300 BLK pistol last summer and it was easy and enjoyable (my first AR build). It shoots great, aided by a spectacular mil-spec trigger (from a CMMG parts kit) that all I did was grease friction surfaces when installing.

The only thing that has me kinda put off on it is the fact that 300 BLK is expensive as shit to shoot. I'm considering getting one of those cheap Harbor Freight cut-off saws and reloading it, but I haven't even setup my reloading equipment since I moved apartments back in Sept. 2015 so yeah.

Anyway, have fun!

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
I agree with him, keep it simple. And if the G19s (9mm) are not "powerful" enough, then just get the Glocks in .40 or .45 calibers.

Just buy Glocks, Recommends Army Chief Of Staff:

As we’ve reported, the U.S. Army is in the midst of evaluating and testing entries in a contest to determine what its new service pistol will be. Army Chief of Staff Gen. Mark Milley said this week he could save a lot of time and money by simply making a decision.
“We’re not figuring out the next lunar landing. This is a pistol. Two years to test? At $17 million? You give me $17 million on a credit card, and I’ll call Cabela’s tonight, and I’ll outfit every soldier, sailor, airman, and Marine with a pistol for $17 million. And I’ll get a discount on a bulk buy,” Gen Milley said to an audience at a Washington D.C. think tank on March 10, according to this story from armytimes.com.

http://www.range365.com/just-buy-glocks-recommends-army-chief-staff?src=SOC&dom

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
:thumbsup:

I built a 300 BLK pistol last summer and it was easy and enjoyable (my first AR build). It shoots great, aided by a spectacular mil-spec trigger (from a CMMG parts kit) that all I did was grease friction surfaces when installing.

The only thing that has me kinda put off on it is the fact that 300 BLK is expensive as shit to shoot. I'm considering getting one of those cheap Harbor Freight cut-off saws and reloading it, but I haven't even setup my reloading equipment since I moved apartments back in Sept. 2015 so yeah.

Anyway, have fun!

I reload extensively, so I definitely plan to keep all of my brass. I did get a lower build kit for my new stripped lower last night, but I will likely wait on the upper. I still have a Sig P226 Legion that I ordered a while back that I need to pay for when it arrives (hopefully someday).

I am going to start buying up ammo for it to stockpile brass at the very least, so hopefully I can get the cost down eventually. Seems like one could get several reloads out of brass on that round.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Well, I scored pretty big on an upper reciever, even though it is "just" a CMMG -

https://www.cmmginc.com/shop/upper-group-mk4-t-300-blk-sbn/

I was able to get one of those fairly cheap, after using a promo code for the store I got it from that knocked the price down considerably. Looking forward to setting this rifle up.

For an optic I am thinking of re-purposing my Vortext Viper PST 1-4 to this rifle, and on the 5.56 rifle that has that scope mounted on it right now I am thinking of putting a trijicon MRO on there.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Nice find. My first AR-15 was a CMMG "Bargain Bin" rifle that I got for $600 back in like 2009. Runs great and I have never found anything wrong with it.