YAGT: OMG I love guns

Page 460 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
Ooh...this is intriguing. Remington's got a $75 rebate until May, and their GI 1911 is $525 at Grabagun-

http://www.slickguns.com/product/remington-1911-r1-45acp-5-walnut-grips-erpc-610-0

I think that's a pretty good counterpoint to the 'can't buy a decent 1911 for <$500' argument, no? I've always heard good things about those Remingtons.

edit: Jeez, those Rem's have some janky machining-
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=275331

Maybe it's just got a little of that CZ 'bah, we only smooth out the parts that matter' mentality. But man, those are just not the kind of pics that fill with me confidence.

I doubt that gun would feed well. Look at the photo of the barrel. It doesn't meet the ramp of the frame. Yuck. Look for guns with the ramp on the barrel.

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
If you scroll through the thread, someone points that out- apparently, the OP didn't have the barrel properly in place. He takes a 'corrected' picture that looks much better.

I actually hadn't even realized that some manufacturers put the ramp on the barrel- I'd seen some with a cutout at the bottom, but never with a full ramp like the modern(-ish) wonder-nines that I'm used to. Google says I'm definitely ignorant, though- a lot of the modern 1911's have the frame milled out and a full feed ramp as part of the barrel. I would venture to guess that that's a big part of reported feed issues with some 1911's...

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
If you scroll through the thread, someone points that out- apparently, the OP didn't have the barrel properly in place. He takes a 'corrected' picture that looks much better.

I actually hadn't even realized that some manufacturers put the ramp on the barrel- I'd seen some with a cutout at the bottom, but never with a full ramp like the modern(-ish) wonder-nines that I'm used to. Google says I'm definitely ignorant, though- a lot of the modern 1911's have the frame milled out and a full feed ramp as part of the barrel. I would venture to guess that that's a big part of reported feed issues with some 1911's...

barrels with ramp and frames milled out to accept are mostly to improve function with truncated cone hollowpoints. 1911a and a1 were intended for govt ball ammo, so they tend to not feed TC HP because the tips are too short and dont hit the feedramp on the frame correctly so they dont tip up into the chamber. extending the ramp from the barrel through the frame fixes this.

also if anyone talks about 1911 john browning perfect design, start looking for the nearest exit. look up colt automatic pistol, model 1902, 1905, 1907 and you will find out that most of the features everyone calls perfect were implemented later at the request of the ordinance board to fix the glaring issues of browning's original designs. look up what happens if the locking wedge breaks on the 1902 and where the slide ends up if you fire.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
We are having a gun show here this weekend, I am thinking of taking a few cases of M855 out of my private reserve and seeing if I can get .80 cents a round for it.

frowertr

Golden Member
Apr 17, 2010
Any .458 Socom fans? I'm building one out as we speak. Hope to have some pictures to show by next week as soon as the barrel gets here.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
We are having a gun show here this weekend, I am thinking of taking a few cases of M855 out of my private reserve and seeing if I can get .80 cents a round for it.

lol, unless the NRA can pull off a minor miracle it'll probably stand. I'd hold it for a few years and sell it for dollars a round. :p

velillen

Platinum Member
Jul 12, 2006
lol, unless the NRA can pull off a minor miracle it'll probably stand. I'd hold it for a few years and sell it for dollars a round. :p

This is one that might actually get prevented from happening. There is ALOT of flak towards the ATF over it coming from all over the place. Practically every major retailer is against it (cabelas being the biggest), all the gun organizations, plus even our elected representatives are getting involved and asking the ATF WTF the reasoning is.

Any .458 Socom fans? I'm building one out as we speak. Hope to have some pictures to show by next week as soon as the barrel gets here.

Ill be building an SBR one in the nearish future. Already have the upper but still need the bolt and barrel. Brass...just got a notice from Starline the production run is nearly complete so my backorder will be shipping soon. So another two months or so and i should have mine done

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
This is one that might actually get prevented from happening. There is ALOT of flak towards the ATF over it coming from all over the place. Practically every major retailer is against it (cabelas being the biggest), all the gun organizations, plus even our elected representatives are getting involved and asking the ATF WTF the reasoning is.

I'm sure the 'reasoning' isn't coming from the ATF

I like it, but its waaaaaaaaaaay too rich for my blood

I'm 'operating' on a budget :p

Last edited:

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010

I think the only way to fight it realistically is congress passing a new clarifying explicitly what constitutes AP ammo, or a lawsuit against the ATF. Either one of those could get ugly for us since all the dumbass general public will hear is "omg gun nuts support murdering cops."

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
I think the only way to fight it realistically is congress passing a new clarifying explicitly what constitutes AP ammo, or a lawsuit against the ATF. Either one of those could get ugly for us since all the dumbass general public will hear is "omg gun nuts support murdering cops."

We've been winning the majority of court decisions (eventually). We've had a couple supreme court decisions go our way.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
We've been winning the majority of court decisions (eventually). We've had a couple supreme court decisions go our way.

The NRA didn't want Heller to go to court; they were VERY much afraid of it going against them. It nearly did, being a 5-4 decision.

frowertr

Golden Member
Apr 17, 2010

Well, it isn't too bad if you reload. I would never pay for the commercial rounds however. $65 for a box of 20 rounds is robbery.

Reloading, however, puts it around .50¢ - .60¢/round which isn't terribly higher than .223.

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
Well, it isn't too bad if you reload. I would never pay for the commercial rounds however. $65 for a box of 20 rounds is robbery.

Reloading, however, puts it around .50¢ - .60¢/round which isn't terribly higher than .223.

yeah, well it will stil be double 223...assuming you reload that instead

but it is pretty affordable reloaded if its 50-60 cents a round

Wuzup101

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2002
Purchased a CZ 455 precision trainer today (varmint barreled action in a manners t4 stock) in 22lr. Now I have to decide on a scope... Or decide if I want to kick the IOR 3-18x42 off of my 308 down to the 22 and get something new for the bigger stick.

Any thoughts?

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Purchased a CZ 455 precision trainer today (varmint barreled action in a manners t4 stock) in 22lr. Now I have to decide on a scope... Or decide if I want to kick the IOR 3-18x42 off of my 308 down to the 22 and get something new for the bigger stick.

Any thoughts?

I got this for my heavy barreled volquartsen 10/22 and i could not be happier. Way nicer than a lot of the lower end .22 dedicated scopes, and the BDC dial for .22 that it comes with has been right on the money every time.

http://swfa.com/Redfield-2-7x34-Battlezone-TAC-22-Rifle-Scope-P64240.aspx

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010

Yeah but it's a case where even if we win in court there might be a PR backlash that ultimately hurts us.

OFC I remember back when the AWB was allowed to lapse, there was lots of screaming about how it would result in lots of dead cops, but the public didn't seem to care that much. Maybe we'll be lucky.

velillen

Platinum Member
Jul 12, 2006

The 458 socom will be more of a fun gun for me. Not something ill take to the range a whole lot but something ill have fun with. I picked it over the 50 beowolf just cause i have a 45-70 already so sharing bullets will be nice!

frowertr

Golden Member
Apr 17, 2010
The 458 socom will be more of a fun gun for me. Not something ill take to the range a whole lot but something ill have fun with. I picked it over the 50 beowolf just cause i have a 45-70 already so sharing bullets will be nice!

Yup. Same for me. I plan on using it as my main hunting rifle for deer and hogs. It should lay waste to those piggys here in FL.

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009

that's a plus

it sounds fun to have!

now that my lightweight-ish 16" is almost done......I may start on the SBR route.....

458 would be a bit beastly for that :D

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
SilencerCo trust is all setup, and I have two suppressors on order. Hope the wait isn't too bad, too bad you cant efile form4's right now.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Been watching stuff about the CZ Scorpion. more I see the more I want one, but I would definitely want to SBR it.

now to find out how to get more money...