YAGT: OMG I love guns

Page 410 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
What is the advantage of a Sphinx over a CZ?

For all practical, non-snob, non-competition purposes? Nothing.

But essentially, you could put it in 1911 terms: An average production CZ (or Tanfoglio) is like $400-600 and is like a bog-standard American 1911. A Canik or Sarsilmaz is even cheaper and is kinda like a Rock Island piece- maybe a few little niggles to it, but overall pretty damn similar. Arguably higher value.

But when you start to get into the $900-1000+ range, you expect parts of the best quality, hand fitting, ect. And that's the Sphinx.

Compare the one pictured to something like this:
http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-compac...-heinie-night-sights-14-rd-mags-by-cz-custom/

And they make Sphinx 3000's to rival the $3000 Czechmate.

It's another similarity to 1911's that while Colt and Springfield will sell you one HELL of a 1911, there's generally better for cheaper. Personally I think someone would have to be nuts to buy any of the higher-end CZ custom shop guns.

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
The JIC has a pistol grip right? How does it feel to shoot with the pistol grip? I've never fired a shotgun before and my buddy was recommending to me that I avoid a pistol grip (doesn't help that my wrists are girly like).

its uncomfortable after a little while, I put a folding stock on mine

desertdweller

Jan 6, 2001
Ah, so there IS someone out there who's got some experience in this.

Thank you for clarifying the safety issue; I was unsure of how that worked, what with safetyless striker guns being popular. What really confuses me is that, AFAIK, DA/SA guns are required to use a DA first shot, while Glocks and others can have short 4-5lb triggers on every shot. On a striker with a decocker (they exist), would they make you decock? What about your DA's with non-decocking safeties? E.g. most CZ's and nearly all clones? Some of those don't even have safeties that work with the hammer down...which leads one to wonder, 'why is an SAO illegal?'

SAO aren't illegal. Before each stage the Range Officer will tell you when you can load the gun, set the safety and put it back into your holster. Then you'll let him know when you're ready and wait for the tone. When you hear the tone, you can draw and start running the course. After you're finished, you will release the mag, eject the last round and hold the slide back to show the Range Officer the chamber is empty. The last thing you will do before putting your gun back in the holster is pull the trigger. Incidentally, if the gun goes boom when you pull the trigger after it has been cleared... You're done shooting for the day. And, again, for competition purposes I wouldn't bother with anything that isn't SA only.

Yep on the 9mm thing in production. I noticed the lack of 'power factor' requirements in the rules for that class. Limited is mostly .40's and Limited-10 is gonna be .45's, I'm guessing?

Production class uses Minor power factor rules with 9mm being the smallest round legal.

The gun in your pic looks cool, though, the safety looks small and hard to get quickly.

Make sure you get a good holster for it and don't forget mag pouches. You should be fine with 200 rounds for the match. Make sure you have something to clean your mag tubes after you've dropped them in the dirt.

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
It would appear to me that SAO's are very much not legal for production. Upon investigation, it appears that NOTHING with an external hammer can start with the hammer back. And since SAO's can generally only be safed with the hammer back, they are not legal. This is reinforced by the approved production guns list, which specifies via blanket rules under certain brands 'DA only' or 'not SAO.' You can also just infer it from some of the approved/nonapproved variants. Like a Witness Stock/II/III being legal, but the cheaper SAO Witness Match not being allowed.

Basically, I'm struggling to see why they don't just call it 'striker division,' because it would seem that anyone who doesn't carry a striker gun with no external safety is at a disadvantage. Seems extra odd when you consider that some of the approved guns are specifically designed to fully cock the striker upon chambering a round, i.e. the trigger doesn't finish pulling the striker back like on a Glock.

And I don't get how decocker variants fit in. It appears that, for example, a CZ-75B has to start with the safety on and the hammer manually lowered all the way, whereas a CZ-75BD gets to start with the hammer at half-cock (where the decocker puts it) with no safety. This despite the fact that the guns are functionally identical.

Blah, this is what keeps people out of this stuff...

Farmer

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2003
For all practical, non-snob, non-competition purposes? Nothing.

But essentially, you could put it in 1911 terms: An average production CZ (or Tanfoglio) is like $400-600 and is like a bog-standard American 1911. A Canik or Sarsilmaz is even cheaper and is kinda like a Rock Island piece- maybe a few little niggles to it, but overall pretty damn similar. Arguably higher value.

But when you start to get into the $900-1000+ range, you expect parts of the best quality, hand fitting, ect. And that's the Sphinx.

Compare the one pictured to something like this:
http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-compac...-heinie-night-sights-14-rd-mags-by-cz-custom/

And they make Sphinx 3000's to rival the $3000 Czechmate.

It's another similarity to 1911's that while Colt and Springfield will sell you one HELL of a 1911, there's generally better for cheaper. Personally I think someone would have to be nuts to buy any of the higher-end CZ custom shop guns.

Who sells Sphinx in the US?

desertdweller

Jan 6, 2001
It would appear to me that SAO's are very much not legal for production. Upon investigation, it appears that NOTHING with an external hammer can start with the hammer back. And since SAO's can generally only be safed with the hammer back, they are not legal. This is reinforced by the approved production guns list, which specifies via blanket rules under certain brands 'DA only' or 'not SAO.' You can also just infer it from some of the approved/nonapproved variants. Like a Witness Stock/II/III being legal, but the cheaper SAO Witness Match not being allowed.

Basically, I'm struggling to see why they don't just call it 'striker division,' because it would seem that anyone who doesn't carry a striker gun with no external safety is at a disadvantage. Seems extra odd when you consider that some of the approved guns are specifically designed to fully cock the striker upon chambering a round, i.e. the trigger doesn't finish pulling the striker back like on a Glock.

And I don't get how decocker variants fit in. It appears that, for example, a CZ-75B has to start with the safety on and the hammer manually lowered all the way, whereas a CZ-75BD gets to start with the hammer at half-cock (where the decocker puts it) with no safety. This despite the fact that the guns are functionally identical.

Blah, this is what keeps people out of this stuff...

I don't much agree with those rules either, they are odd. I am there for the competition, not for the hardware. In fact, I probably wouldn't even own one if it wasn't for competition. If the rules were written that a DA/SA had an edge, that's what I'd use. To each their own though, it's not for everyone.

From the website:
Question:

Does the CZ decocker or others similar, lower the hammer sufficiently to comply with Production division, and if not, how would they comply with the wording in 10.5.9 without being DQ'd?
Answer:

Manufacturers have installed decockers to take the hammer safely to a position that is deemed safe, therefore; the term fully decocked is the position that the hammer rest at once the decocker has been used. Altering a factory installed decocker to bring the hammer to rest at less than a half cocked position is not allowed.

velillen

Platinum Member
Jul 12, 2006
It sounds like their CS people could have used some more tact but really what did you expect? If you called Chevy and asked them to work on a 70+ year old car for you they'd say pretty much the same thing.

If i called Chevy and said hey i have a 70+ year old car i want to send to you and have you guys look at to see if it runs or not and they said no i would be disappointed as well. Espcially when i am offering to pay it (not sure if i mentioned that but i did mention to their CS i would pay shipping there and time for a smith to look it over) I made it clear to their CS people that all i was truly interested in is knowing if the gun is safe to fire or not. When their responses go straight into scrapping it cause it is old and buying one of their newer models....yeah i have issue with that. Just cause something is old doesnt mean a company should be completely uninterested and unhelpful.

but anyways took it to a local gunsmith who took a good look at it and said it looks fine. Put the camera down the bore just to be sure and saw nothing. Said if i was still worry to bring in some ammo (since he didnt have any) and he would fire it in his "test box" (steel box with water at the bottom basically). Not sure if ill fire it or not but least now i know its safe to!

Now i just need to clean it up a bit. Its got some light rust on it that should clean up easy.

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
I don't much agree with those rules either, they are odd. I am there for the competition, not for the hardware. In fact, I probably wouldn't even own one if it wasn't for competition. If the rules were written that a DA/SA had an edge, that's what I'd use. To each their own though, it's not for everyone.

From the website:
Question:

Does the CZ decocker or others similar, lower the hammer sufficiently to comply with Production division, and if not, how would they comply with the wording in 10.5.9 without being DQ'd?
Answer:

Manufacturers have installed decockers to take the hammer safely to a position that is deemed safe, therefore; the term fully decocked is the position that the hammer rest at once the decocker has been used. Altering a factory installed decocker to bring the hammer to rest at less than a half cocked position is not allowed.

I guess I just like to nitpick. If they make me fully decock and safe a DA/SA, all that's gonna do is add an extra second onto my initial draw. And I sure as shit am not going to be good enough for that second to matter.

I was previously thinking that you may be required to holster during the course, but this does not seem to be the case in any of the videos I've been watching. So I'll just live with it.

That pistol is in the mail. Need to order a fiber front sight...fifty damn bucks. Luckily I have four spare CZ mags that can be modded to fit it, though (part of the appeal). I believe I just have to drill a hole in the front for the GP's strange mag catch- the side notches remain, so they still work in CZ's/clones, too.

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
pistol grip only is what I was talking about. At least I thought the JIC game with a pistol grip only.

yeah I swapped on this stock, a heat shield, and a cheapie 17 buck tru glo front fiber optic sight

I'm not sold on the stock yet beyond looks :p

it needs a limbsaver

I have read the Hogue grip makes a huge difference

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
aim has the same ones, same price for sale with free shipping. not sure if PA has free shipping.

I had ordered one awhile back to use on my 10/22 but it had a removable riser and didn't work. So I ordered a new one yesterday with low mount.

cheap shipping (less than $10 at PA) I paid 7 for priority mail

AIM keeps selling out. So I was forced to go to the source :p

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
I have been wanting one of these for years, and I finally got one. My new deer rifle, the Ruger #1 in .243 -

P4m2X4th.jpg

I put a new Nikon Monarch 3 2.5-10x42mm scope on it when I picked it up today. The wood is beautiful, and the trigger is amazing for a factory trigger.

Family photo, posing with my other #1's, in .308 (middle) and .375 H&H -

cCU5xNMh.jpg

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
I have been wanting one of these for years, and I finally got one. My new deer rifle, the Ruger #1 in .243 -

P4m2X4th.jpg

I put a new Nikon Monarch 3 2.5-10x42mm scope on it when I picked it up today. The wood is beautiful, and the trigger is amazing for a factory trigger.

Family photo, posing with my other #1's, in .308 (middle) and .375 H&H -

cCU5xNMh.jpg

Nice rifles. I hope you are hunting responsibly and not going for shots 300 yards+ with that .243.

We have wackos out here hunting with scoped pistols doing stupid shit and they can't even be bothered to track a wounded target.

"If it doesn't drop when I hit it, I quit it" was a nice quote I heard from some knuckledragger.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Nice rifles. I hope you are hunting responsibly and not going for shots 300 yards+ with that .243.

We have wackos out here hunting with scoped pistols doing stupid shit and they can't even be bothered to track a wounded target.

"If it doesn't drop when I hit it, I quit it" was a nice quote I heard from some knuckledragger.

I will go for any shot that I know I can hit. 300 yards is where I zero my hunting rifles, though with that one I will probably zero it at 200 yards instead. The elk typically require longer shots.

I have made 700+ yard shots on elk with that .375 H&H before.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
I will go for any shot that I know I can hit. 300 yards is where I zero my hunting rifles, though with that one I will probably zero it at 200 yards instead. The elk typically require longer shots.

I have made 700+ yard shots on elk with that .375 H&H before.

wow....most are hunting deer and elk inside of 100 yards.

I am hoping when you say shot you know you can hit that that's a killing shot and not just tagging the animal.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
If you had to place an order which would you go with Brownells or MidwayUSA?
I've bought a lot from both places. Brownell's usually wins out for me.

Sometimes one carries products that the other doesn't.

Brownell's seems better for gun parts, imo.

Brownell's is usually cheaper shipping.

Midway has a minimum order limit otherwise they charge an extra fee.

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
I've gotta stop doing business with places that have a 'orders ship within 7 business days' policy. Or something similarly shitty.

'Oh, it doesn't matter! They always ship my stuff out within 24 hours!'

...yeah, but when they don't, it sure is annoying. I've been waiting four days for an order update from Bud's, and apparently I have to wait three more before I can even ask them about it. Given their usually prompt service, I think it's a given that either a) my order has been lost or b) the item is out of stock. Blech, I'll take my business somewhere else from now on.