YAGT: OMG I love guns

Page 398 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
:biggrin:
munbS7w.jpg

closer to 600 rounds now and i am yet to get the rear sight dialed in :twisted:

I wish I could find one around me. I'd buy one up in a heartbeat!! Looks sweet!

HTFOff

Golden Member
Oct 3, 2013
So I bought this 500 cruiser (http://grabagun.com/msbrg-500-tac-cr-12-18-5-bl-pg-brchr.html) with the idea of having a lighter 500 that I can add a mag extension to, since it uses the same magtube as the 590/590a1 models. It's one of 2 or 3 models with the standard 500 nomenclature that you can throw an extension on.

Come to find out, this thing has some heft! D: It is essentially a 590a1 breacher, sans metal trigger housing and safety. I was not expecting the heavy barrel. Now I just need to find a wood (preferably) buttstock and a way to throw a light on.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
I oughta buy a CNC machine, stick it in the garage and start a pistol grip business in looks :)

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
Molded G10 with semi-custom design? The price is right. A new Garand stock is just a block of carved walnut.

G10 isn't that expensive. The garand design is "custom" since no WWII tooling is around anymore. It's more material, and far more complex. 1903 and Mauser stocks are worse since they're inleted. I maintain that those grips are INSANELY overpriced, as are ones from companies like Hogue.

sa7an1

Jun 3, 2010
I wish I could find one around me. I'd buy one up in a heartbeat!! Looks sweet!

gun genie seemed to show a few last i checked.

handling it sold me on it (my gander mountain had one for an absurd price)

Last edited:

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
If it's true that you milled G10; I had no idea. If companies like VZ would use that to mill hardwoods into some of their kinda awesome grip designs (wooden frags for CZ's, pls), I would be more willing to pony up the money.

I find G10 no more appealing than plastic, provided it's sturdy enough and fitted well. Really, I'll just confess- I loves me the wood.

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
So I bought this 500 cruiser (http://grabagun.com/msbrg-500-tac-cr-12-18-5-bl-pg-brchr.html) with the idea of having a lighter 500 that I can add a mag extension to, since it uses the same magtube as the 590/590a1 models. It's one of 2 or 3 models with the standard 500 nomenclature that you can throw an extension on.

Come to find out, this thing has some heft! D: It is essentially a 590a1 breacher, sans metal trigger housing and safety. I was not expecting the heavy barrel. Now I just need to find a wood (preferably) buttstock and a way to throw a light on.

To be fair, the heaviest Mossberg 500 is about as heavy as the lightest 870. Those Remingtons are some porkers, and aside from an admittedly more awesome 'ka-thwack' when you pump it, I find nothing about the heavier gun more appealing. I love the el cheapo Maverick 88; that thing's gotta be in the 5-6 pound range- yet it's a very reliable shotgun.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
If it's true that you milled G10; I had no idea. If companies like VZ would use that to mill hardwoods into some of their kinda awesome grip designs (wooden frags for CZ's, pls), I would be more willing to pony up the money.

I find G10 no more appealing than plastic, provided it's sturdy enough and fitted well. Really, I'll just confess- I loves me the wood.

VZ does make some wood grips, but not for revolvers.

https://vzgrips.com/gun-grips/wood

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009

might need a railed forend....not much rom for a barrel light clamp on that puppy

nice gun tho, I have a 500 JIC

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000

I prefer wood also, but i have a set of VZs for my 1911. They are actually pretty damn nice. They feel nice and look good, imo. that said, not all G10 grips look good imo.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
might need a railed forend....not much rom for a barrel light clamp on that puppy

nice gun tho, I have a 500 JIC

Surefire sells a forend.

I prefer wood also, but i have a set of VZs for my 1911. They are actually pretty damn nice. They feel nice and look good, imo. that said, not all G10 grips look good imo.

I have Dan Wesson wood grips on my 1911 and they rock. Wait...nevermind, I have CZ grips. ;)

(Because of Dan Wesson, I want a CZ. My DW 1911 is flawless.)

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Anyone familiar with a ruger 10/22 trigger?

There's a paperclip looking spring b-42 that goes on the bolt release. Do you know what happens if the spring is under the bolt release, on the sear?

slugg

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
So the girlfriend wants a shotgun for home defense. Sounds good to me. Is there anything cost effective that would also be good for skeet shooting? Trying to kill two birds with one stone.

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
So the girlfriend wants a shotgun for home defense. Sounds good to me. Is there anything cost effective that would also be good for skeet shooting? Trying to kill two birds with one stone.

You'll want two barrels. One for home defense, one for skeetskeetskeet.

HD one will be 'open cylinder' and short; your range barrel will be longer and use [insert advice on chokes here, 'cause I dunno shit about them].

Maverick 88 is an excellent choice for cheap. We ARE talking pump, right?

slugg

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
You'll want two barrels. One for home defense, one for skeetskeetskeet.

HD one will be 'open cylinder' and short; your range barrel will be longer and use [insert advice on chokes here, 'cause I dunno shit about them].

Maverick 88 is an excellent choice for cheap. We ARE talking pump, right?
Pump or GTFO.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Pump or GTFO.

If you've got the budget (not that it will break the bank anyway at $400-$500), the Mossberg 590A1 is the US military's tried and true model of choice and the generally recognized top-of-the-line shotgun. There's also the 500 and 590, which are basically the same gun with some differences in materials and accessories, but are slightly cheaper, typically down into the high $300s.

Differences:

Model 500 vs. Model 590 vs. Model 590A1
Mossberg 590 with 20-inch (510 mm) barrel

The primary difference between the Model 500 and Model 590 is in magazine tube design. The Model 500 magazines are closed at the muzzle end, and the barrel is held in place by bolting into a threaded hole at the end of the magazine tube. Model 590 magazines are designed to be opened at the muzzle end, and the barrels fit around the magazine tube and are held on by a nut at the end. The Model 500 magazine facilitates easy barrel changes, as the barrel bolt serves no function other than holding the barrel in place. The Model 590 magazine facilitates easy cleaning and parts replacement, as removing the nut allows removal of the magazine spring and follower.
Parkerized Mossberg 590A1 with M7 Bayonet, upper picatinny rail, and modified standard 590 heat shield

The Model 590 has a plastic trigger guard and safety and a standard barrel. The Model 590A1 has an aluminum trigger guard and safety, and a heavier barrel, intended for military use under extreme conditions and rough handling; the metal trigger guard was added in response to the 3443G materials requirements, and the heavy barrel was added at the request of the Navy. The 590A1 is generally sold through military and law enforcement channels, though in most jurisdictions the 18.5-inch (47 cm) and 20-inch (51 cm) models may be legally purchased by private persons. 590A1s with 14" barrels are Title II firearms, and may be purchased by private persons in NFA-legal states. [2][3]

The riot gun versions of the Model 500 (Persuader and Mariner) are available with an 18.5-inch (47 cm) and 20-inch (51 cm) barrel depending on magazine capacity. The 590 is only available with a 20-inch (510 mm) barrel and flush-fit magazine tube. The 590A1 is available with a 14-inch (36 cm), 18.5-inch, or 20-inch (510 mm) barrel. One model sold as Model 590 (catalog item 51663) is technically a 590A1, as it uses the heavy barrel and military trigger group, but unlike models designated 590A1 it is sold on the civilian market.

Unlike Model 500 and 590 shotguns (with the exception of ghost-ring sight 590 models), Model 590A1 shotguns cannot be easily fitted with the factory heat shield, due to the heavy barrel. A heat shield and bayonet lug are required for military 3443G Type I riot shotguns,[2] and some 590A1s are so equipped, but it is not clear if the 590A1 heat shields have ever been offered for sale by Mossberg outside of the military market.

Mavericks are ok and likely adequate, but I'd sooner trust my life to a Mossberg.

velillen

Platinum Member
Jul 12, 2006
If you've got the budget (not that it will break the bank anyway at $400-$500), the Mossberg 590A1 is the US military's tried and true model of choice and the generally recognized top-of-the-line shotgun. There's also the 500 and 590, which are basically the same gun with some differences in materials and accessories, but are slightly cheaper, typically down into the high $300s.

I wouldnt call the 590A1 a "top-of-the-line" shotgun. In the budget category sure. The 500 and 590 series are great guns though. i have the 500 with the 18 and 26 barrels (combo deal) and it works great. Short for home defense and a long barrel to take out hunting. I have used my 26" barrel and done some casual "sheet" shooting. Mostly just out in the woods with a launcher so not true skeet. but i have taken it to a real skeet shoot and it worked ok. Youll get some funny looks from the "purists" but when i went there were still plenty of guys to talk to and joke with. Most of them had started with the cheapo shotguns to start with too.

The Remington 800 series is another good budget minded option. Can go wrong with either a mossberg 500 or a Rem 800.

Phanuel

Platinum Member
Apr 25, 2008
I'm looking into a shotgun for skeet as well so I've done some casual research.

The 590/A1 is no good because you can't really swap the barrel. You'd need the 500 instead since they have longer skeet barrels. There is mention of buying a 590 and then getting the 500 tube and forend to swap the whole thing to put a longer skeet barrel on the 590 but I couldn't get a full parts breakdown anywhere on what to purchase.

I was looking at the 500 combo but it didn't mention chokes. Does it come with chokes?

The 870 you can swap the barrel. The 26"+ barrels come with chokes usually.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
I wouldnt call the 590A1 a "top-of-the-line" shotgun. In the budget category sure. The 500 and 590 series are great guns though. i have the 500 with the 18 and 26 barrels (combo deal) and it works great. Short for home defense and a long barrel to take out hunting. I have used my 26" barrel and done some casual "sheet" shooting. Mostly just out in the woods with a launcher so not true skeet. but i have taken it to a real skeet shoot and it worked ok. Youll get some funny looks from the "purists" but when i went there were still plenty of guys to talk to and joke with. Most of them had started with the cheapo shotguns to start with too.

The Remington 800 series is another good budget minded option. Can go wrong with either a mossberg 500 or a Rem 800.

Depends on one's definition I guess. For home defense I don't see how you can beat the 590A1 in terms of overall package. For hunting or skeet shooting, then yeah a nice semi-auto or over-under or whatever would beat it out.

Phanuel

Platinum Member
Apr 25, 2008
Shotguns are just relatively un-thought-through solutions for home defense.

Take the girlfriend shooting once with it and full powered 00 buck and see how interested she'll be in shooting it again.