YAGT: OMG I love guns

Page 60 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

IGemini

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2010
I maintain that the P250 2SUM would be a much better deal if they did the compact and subcompact as a pair. The full-size platform just seems too large for anything smaller than .45 (which they don't offer in that package).

I had a look at that SIG SP2022 at the store down the road a few days ago. Turns out it actually is a .40S&W model and in great shape. I think the one I handled some time ago had the large grip, because it felt really chunky...though I could make it work. This one had either the medium or small grip, felt so comfortable. For $400, WANT. :biggrin:

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
I maintain that the P250 2SUM would be a much better deal if they did the compact and subcompact as a pair. The full-size platform just seems too large for anything smaller than .45 (which they don't offer in that package).

I had a look at that SIG SP2022 at the store down the road a few days ago. Turns out it actually is a .40S&W model and in great shape. I think the one I handled some time ago had the large grip, because it felt really chunky...though I could make it work. This one had either the medium or small grip, felt so comfortable. For $400, WANT. :biggrin:

The grips are interchangeable, right? It should come with 3 sizes in the box? If not, argue the price down :)

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
Is that the GSG MP5 lookalike? My friend has one...thing jams all the time.

It's the HK licensed one - by Umarex. Haven't had a single problem with it yet. Put about 500 rounds through it without cleaning, put another 100 or so no problem. Now that I've cleaned it, watch it jam a dozen times today.

Just put a red dot sight on it so I'm going to get it zeroed in at the range today. Should make it that much more fun.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
That is what I'm going to get. Just waiting for the Gen 4's to be vetted a little more before I jump.

I have a gen 4 G17 and I think the problems are overrated. Mine works great and if you get on the glock forums you will read its more isolated incidents than widespread problems.

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
I had a gen4 G26. It had terrible FTE and BTF problems. Based on reports of people sending theirs to glock for repair and getting them back in identical condition after paying $100 in shipping, I decided it wasn't worth trying to fix it and sold it.

However, I have heard Apex is working on an aftermarket extractor that may alleviate the issues, if you can manage to get your hands on one.

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
How's gun stuff going with yallz?! I wanna just get a pistol now, but don't want to not hold it first. But the next gun show is in late October, and i think everythings gonna be super expensive because of the election. :(

Handgun prices aren't going to go up that much, mainly just assault-style rifles and ammo. The popular concealed carry guns are still impossible to find though (e.g. S&W Shield, Springfield XDs, etc).

If I were you I'd just bite the bullet and buy one online. It takes a while to find the perfect gun for you. It won't be the first one you buy. You could spend a year trying to decide what to get, and in all likelihood you will end up not liking something about it and want to buy another or trade. It took me about 10 different handguns before finally settling on the Sig P228 (best handgun of all time IMO).

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
Handgun prices aren't going to go up that much, mainly just assault-style rifles and ammo. The popular concealed carry guns are still impossible to find though (e.g. S&W Shield, Springfield XDs, etc).

If I were you I'd just bite the bullet and buy one online. It takes a while to find the perfect gun for you. It won't be the first one you buy. You could spend a year trying to decide what to get, and in all likelihood you will end up not liking something about it and want to buy another or trade. It took me about 10 different handguns before finally settling on the Sig P228 (best handgun of all time IMO).
A Sig P238 is next up for my wife, ever since I showed her all the special editions they have out she's just in love with the "Lady" version, the Diamond Plate one looks pretty damn tough too...damn why do they have to be so expensive though

IGemini

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2010
The grips are interchangeable, right? It should come with 3 sizes in the box? If not, argue the price down :)

They are interchangeable, but only comes with two in the standard kit. The large is bought separately. Either way, I'll be trying to get the price a little lower.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I had a gen4 G26. It had terrible FTE and BTF problems. Based on reports of people sending theirs to glock for repair and getting them back in identical condition after paying $100 in shipping, I decided it wasn't worth trying to fix it and sold it.

However, I have heard Apex is working on an aftermarket extractor that may alleviate the issues, if you can manage to get your hands on one.

https://www.google.com/search?q=BTF...&sugexp=chrome,mod=8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

OK, i give up. Whats BTF?

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
They are interchangeable, but only comes with two in the standard kit. The large is bought separately. Either way, I'll be trying to get the price a little lower.

are you talking about the the actual frame or the backstraps?

I thought with the P250 you could get compact, full size, and sub compact frames?

The backstraps go on the rear of the grip, usually slide off and on? several other guns have this also.

IGemini

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2010
BTF = Brass to Face...had to look that one up too.

I thought with the P250 you could get compact, full size, and sub compact frames?

The backstraps go on the rear of the grip, usually slide off and on? several other guns have this also.

In that context, I was talking about the SP2022 frame grips. Not just a backstrap since it covers three sides.

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
BTF = Brass to Face...had to look that one up too.

Yup, acronym invented by the gen4 Glock. Sure, most handguns may occasionally sling one towards your head. But the gen4 glock is the only gun I've ever fired or even seen or heard of that would forcefully eject brass directly into your eyes on a regular, repeatable basis. :mad:

CurseTheSky

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 2006

With the P250, most of the internals (trigger, hammer, and related parts) are all part of one assembly, which can be taken out. Then, you can buy a different slide + barrel + recoil spring + guide rod, and a different frame to change the size. Even the slide and the frames are interchangeable, so you can put a full-size slide on a subcompact frame, a subcompact slide on a compact frame, etc.

In addition, all of the magazines work in their respective frame sizes, and any frames smaller than the one they're intended for. So, the full-size 17 round magazine that I have works perfectly in the subcompact frame as well. Changing calibers (at least for 9mm, .40 S&W, and .357 SIG) just involves a barrel and magazine swap as far as I know.

The P250 gets a lot of hate for the trigger, but I'm growing to like the gun overall. It has a fairly thin grip compared to most double stack Sigs, and the versatility of being able to mix and match slides and frames is really nice. The trigger really isn't that bad - it's very smooth and light (~5.5lbs) for a double action trigger. The long reset is my only complaint, and while it's definitely not good as a target gun, for a carry gun it doesn't concern me.

Last edited:

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
Yup, acronym invented by the gen4 Glock. Sure, most handguns may occasionally sling one towards your head. But the gen4 glock is the only gun I've ever fired or even seen or heard of that would forcefully eject brass directly into your eyes on a regular, repeatable basis. :mad:

Don't think my Glock 21 did that often. I shoot indoors though, so brass comes back at me after bouncing off the wall.

velillen

Platinum Member
Jul 12, 2006
Do you guys have safe queens? :wub:

I dont really. My only one i might consider as a "safe queen" to me is my S&W 19-3. And thats more for the sentimental value than anything. First gun my dad ever bought and passed it on down to me. Things 40 some years old.

But i still shoot it (put ~500 rounds through it this year) and its my most accurate gun by far. I just baby it a bit more than the rest of my guns. Always clean it after each trip (vs others which maybe go a trip or two) and at the range always keep it on a microfiber cloth or in the holster...never just laying out.

But still definitely not just a safe queen like some people who have guns they wont shoot :)

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005

No. I don't have so much disposable income that I can afford to buy guns as display pieces. Any gun I buy has to be reliable, practical, and shoot a commonly available cartridge. If I bought a gun that I didn't like for some reason so that I rarely shot it, I would sell it to buy something else.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
A Sig P238 is next up for my wife, ever since I showed her all the special editions they have out she's just in love with the "Lady" version, the Diamond Plate one looks pretty damn tough too...damn why do they have to be so expensive though

Yup, never mind it could kill you or save your life, THAT FUCKER BETTER LOOK PRETTY!!

CurseTheSky

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 2006

Not really. The closest one for me is my Colt 1911 XSE in stainless. It was by far the most expensive (~$1000), the prettiest, and probably the most fun to shoot.

I don't baby it at all though. It already has several scratches and I've let it sit dirty between range trips a few times. The main reason it gets less action than the others is because .45 ACP is much more expensive than .22 LR and 9mm. It's definitely my favorite gun, but probably the least practical (too expensive for constant target practice, too big and heavy / low capacity for carrying). I have around 500 rounds through it so far.

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
How do you guys feel about JUST using a CLP for cleaning? Also, i see some people using a copper tooth brush to clean guns...wont that scratch it?

Some people are super anal about making their guns clean-as-new every time they shoot, using q-tips, pipecleaners, copper solvents, dental picks, etc. I was that way with my first gun, but spending 2 hours to clean will make you not want to go shooting as much. Over time I became lazy though and now I just wipe down the parts with a towel and put a few drops of CLP on and don't worry about carbon build-up in the nooks and crannies.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Some people are super anal about making their guns clean-as-new every time they shoot, using q-tips, pipecleaners, copper solvents, dental picks, etc. I was that way with my first gun, but spending 2 hours to clean will make you not want to go shooting as much. Over time I became lazy though and now I just wipe down the parts with a towel and put a few drops of CLP on and don't worry about carbon build-up in the nooks and crannies.

I stick in a baggie with foaming cleaner and pull it out.
Thats more than good enough unless its a delicate older gun with lots of prior abuse and neglect.