YAGT: OMG I love guns

Page 98 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
I don't get the ammo panic buying. They are not going to legislate ammunition purchases.

velillen

Platinum Member
Jul 12, 2006
I took my M&P 15-22 to the range for the first time yesterday unfortunately I only got to shoot one mag from it. I had 25 CCI mini mags left over from a previous trip and it fed and fired those beautifully but it wouldn't feed a single round of the Aguila Coilibri I bought at the range (only .22 they had at the time) Unfortunately everyplace is town is completely sold out of the Mini Mags and most places don't have any .22 at all.

That ammo is not meant for long guns and is not recommended for semi-auto guns since theres a good chance it wont cycle them. Its super low power (350ish fps vs standard is ~1200fps)

Has anyone ordered from Cheaper than Dirt? Their ammo prices look pretty good and they have a lot of other stuff I want so I can save on shipping.

Their price gouging has left a bad taste in my mouth. Jacking up prices on 223 (some is at 800-900 bucks per 1k now) and on PMAGs (went from ~13 bucks to $60 bucks over night pretty much...back to 30 after much complaining). I will not buy from them ever again. THeir prices arent even that good and i can find ammo cheaper elsewhere. But ive felt that way for many months now. Only reason i ordered from them recently was they were the only place to carry RIA 1911 10mm.

I don't get the ammo panic buying. They are not going to legislate ammunition purchases.

Its been mentioned in some reports for limits on types you can buy and also how much you can buy. These are reports in relationship to the upcoming "AWB ban" attempt.

How do you guys feel about stores not selling guns? Cheaper than dirt was a total shocker to me...

CTD is selling again. If you read their original message it only stated they were temporarily stopping it to evaluate their processes.

As for other stores...their loss just missing out on sales. Local gun stores back home are selling anything and everything pretty much. Heard a few places are out of pretty much every AR type and even many pistols. Although some stores have lost my business by their blatant price gouging as well.

fstime

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2004
Very likely. Even in my state, background check times have increased from 10 minutes to almost an hour based on volume alone.

What?

Application times here have usually taken around a month before you get your temporary license. I am worried the time between handing in your application and getting your permit will increase.

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
What?

Application times here have usually taken around a month before you get your temporary license. I am worried the time between handing in your application and getting your permit will increase.
I live in a state with lax gun laws. Usually all you need is a valid driver's license and a 10 minute background check, and you're out the door.

That's all it took when I bought my AR15 the week before Thanksgiving. Now ARs are getting scarce and the prices are surging. I have no doubt I can double the price paid for my AR and sell it within a day. Magazines I bought yesterday for $15 each are going for $40+.

Farmer

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2003
I live in a state with lax gun laws. Usually all you need is a valid driver's license and a 10 minute background check, and you're out the door.

That's all it took when I bought my AR15 the week before Thanksgiving. Now ARs are getting scarce and the prices are surging. I have no doubt I can double the price paid for my AR and sell it within a day. Magazines I bought yesterday for $15 each are going for $40+.

The background checks (FBI NICS) can take a while if there are a lot of simultaneous gun sales (which there appear to be).

I'm not doing much panic buying because I can't afford it. I did manage to get all the parts together for an AR save a gas tube before things went crazy, along with 8 mags.

I was saving up for another Arsenal SGL in 5.45 whenever they would come back. I had also wanted to pick up a couple of Glocks (19 and 34, specifically) after that. Now I wonder if I should just get what I can get now.

Hopefully this nonsense will blow over.

EDIT: Well, ok I ordered a Glock. I'll see if this place actually has it in stock or not.

Last edited:

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
What do you guys think about Rock River Arms? Good, bad, ugly?

I ask because RRA is the only one that makes the true AR15 for left hand shooters like myself. Stag makes some but they are not true left hand (from my own research, feel free to correct if they are not true).

Last edited:

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001

I ask because RRA is the only one that makes the true AR15 for left hand shooters like myself. Stag makes some but they are not true left hand (from my own research, feel free to correct if they are not true).

Love my RRA ar. Solid build quality and runs like a top. Would recommend to anyone.

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
I got my Arsenal a month ago, and ordered my G17 yesterday. My AK magazines should be in sometime next week.

To be honest, you don't really need to purchase the handgun itself right now, just the high-cap magazines for them. They aren't going to ban handguns.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
I got my Arsenal a month ago, and ordered my G17 yesterday. My AK magazines should be in sometime next week.

To be honest, you don't really need to purchase the handgun itself right now, just the high-cap magazines for them. They aren't going to ban handguns.

I should get some 20 rounder m1a mags....

midwestfisherman

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2003

RRA is a solid gun!

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
I should get some 20 rounder m1a mags....
Shouldn't be very hard to find. I found 20 rounders for my FAL pretty easily. People are panic buying 30 rounders for ARs/AKs.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Yeah. Id like a few desert tan plastic AK mags in case I ever get my desert tan furniture. I have about 40 AR mags though ;)

If they are jacked up I'd just wait though. I have some steel ones that work fine.

Last edited:

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Yeah, I'm not buying right now as the debate is still in the knee-jerk reaction stage, but if an "assault weapons ban" seems imminent I'll probably go buy "normal capacity" magazines for every gun I'm ever likely to want. Worst case scenario I keep them for a few years, then sell at a profit.

Although there is this lovely gem on the front page of the New York Times, saying that the fault with the original Clinton ban was that it didn't go far enough.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/20/u...nt-in-assault-weapons-ban-of-90s.html?hp&_r=0

boomhower

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2007

RRA is a solid midlevel commercial gun. It's not as good as say a Colt or BCM. That said, it will serve the needs of 98%+ users out there. Not sure what doesn't make the Stag a true lefty but I'd put both manufactures on the same level, buy whichever you like better.(or right now buy whichever you can actually find.)

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
I bought a few high cap mags before most of the internet sold out, but not AR mags.

Got a few 20rd m9 pistol mags, but I already had 20+ of those. Also got some of the Ruger bx25x2 50rd factory mags for my 10/22s, never seen those mags before. I really wanted to get some m1a mags, since I have only maybe 15 20rd CMI mags, but they were sold out before I even got the page loaded.

A few years ago I bought a 100 pack of windowed magpul 30round pmags for $999 from 44mag.com, and there are probably still 80+ that are new in package. After seeing a 5 pack of non windowed pmags sell for $305 on gunbroker the other day, I have been thinking of selling some. I will probably hold on to them for now though.

Those bx25x2 mags are pretty cool though, but they are pricey -
8287867090_8bc1b1117d_b.jpg

velillen

Platinum Member
Jul 12, 2006
A few years ago I bought a 100 pack of windowed magpul 30round pmags for $999 from 44mag.com, and there are probably still 80+ that are new in package. After seeing a 5 pack of non windowed pmags sell for $305 on gunbroker the other day, I have been thinking of selling some. I will probably hold on to them for now though.

I have quote a few pmags as well I've gotten before the election on sale for great prices. Enough to where ill never use 75% of them. Selling a few has crossed my mind as I could sell of 15 and have paid for all the others and have extra cash while still having tons of unopened spares.

Part of me just feels dirty about doing that though but if people will pay the prices....

Farmer

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2003

Gunbroker is pretty crazy, but those people are just speculating that a hi-cap ban will happen, resulting in them being able to resell at a higher price.

It's hard to decide what to do as at this stage as there are few indicators whether such a ban will or will not happen. To hedge, you could sell some now and use the fund to purchase ammo, another talked about ban or tax item.

Last edited:

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Never been a gun owner. Wanted to own one, but never have. Saw a deal on black friday for one and finally put one on order. Just so happened it was for an AR15. Also bought a few extra 30rnd mags to go with it that were on sale. Glad I did. Although I only got 10 mags, it's more than enough for me I think.

In some ways I'm glad I bought what I did when I did. I really hope the country doesn't go insane and do something stupid again like the AWB from before. Although the media and president seem to be pushing hard for it.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Ok, from another forum, this poster said about AR 15 makers (his words, not mine):

BMW/Mercedes Benz/Porche/Lexus = BCM/Noveske/LaRue/Colt/LMT/KAC/H&K

Honda/Jeep/Toyota/Ford = S&W M&P, PSA and Rock River

Hyundai/Kia = Bushmaster

Yugo/AMC Pacer/Matchbox Car/Turd sandwich = DPMS

Agree or disagree? What are KAC and PSA?

Puddle Jumper

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 2009
Never been a gun owner. Wanted to own one, but never have. Saw a deal on black friday for one and finally put one on order. Just so happened it was for an AR15. Also bought a few extra 30rnd mags to go with it that were on sale. Glad I did. Although I only got 10 mags, it's more than enough for me I think.

In some ways I'm glad I bought what I did when I did. I really hope the country doesn't go insane and do something stupid again like the AWB from before. Although the media and president seem to be pushing hard for it.

I wish I has gone ahead and bought an AK last month when they were plentiful, I figured there was no need to do it at the time since I already had a new M&P 15-22 but now the prices and availability back then look really appealing.

coxmaster

Diamond Member
Dec 14, 2007
Ok, from another forum, this poster said about AR 15 makers (his words, not mine):

Agree or disagree? What are KAC and PSA?

Knights Armament Company and Palmetto State Armory. Can't comment on the list though. I personally built the cheapest AR15 imaginable