YAGT: OMG I love guns

Page 58 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
Errr. I'm sorry, but I think that's the same episode (and same PD dude) as the one with the shot through the rifle scope.

They took a modern variable power scope and tried to shoot through it. They claimed that Hathcock's shot through a scope was a myth/impossible. Forget that in vietnam, no NVA/VC shooter would have had a variable power scope. Steve Reichert later tried the same thing, but with a era-appropriate scope. Guess what - bullet went through.

Point being: Mythbusters is useless when it comes to guns. Also, they used rifles in there. No pistols. Longer barrel = faster bullet. They called the MP5 and M4. Need I say any more? I'm open to being proven wrong, but I will not accept that "evidence."

thegimp03

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2004
I went to the range this past Saturday and got to shoot for the first time (Los Altos Rod & Gun Club, up by Castle Rock in the South Bay area). Got to shoot my new 870 tactical shotgun, and hit the clay on my first shot.. :)

Also got to shoot a few others: A very old Ruger .22 that for some reason wouldn't chamber rounds after every few shots, a S&W .357 magnum revolver, a S&W .45 revolver, and a .44 magnum.

It was a fun day! :)

Heh, my buddy was up at that range with his gf this past Saturday with his Glock 22. I usually go to the range down off of Monterey Highway/101 up against the hill. They have skeet shooting right next to the range, which makes it fun if you have a 12 gauge.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
ah good old LARGC. do they still let you shoot steel case ammo? the only other place i know of that did was the richmond range.

i shot at the sherrifs section of the monterey range when we were doing our academy tactical training, they made us run laps/do pushups/hit the baton bag for 5 minutes right before the course to get our heartrate in the 120 range while we were shooting. fine motor control went right out the window.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Errr. I'm sorry, but I think that's the same episode (and same PD dude) as the one with the shot through the rifle scope.

They took a modern variable power scope and tried to shoot through it. They claimed that Hathcock's shot through a scope was a myth/impossible. Forget that in vietnam, no NVA/VC shooter would have had a variable power scope. Steve Reichert later tried the same thing, but with a era-appropriate scope. Guess what - bullet went through.

Point being: Mythbusters is useless when it comes to guns. Also, they used rifles in there. No pistols. Longer barrel = faster bullet. They called the MP5 and M4. Need I say any more? I'm open to being proven wrong, but I will not accept that "evidence."

but you accept hollywood movies as evidence? lol

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I can't decide between a Sig P226 Elite Stainless and a stainless CZ 75B. I'd like to hold both within a few minutes of each other (hello, gun show!) to make my mind up. I did hold the CZ, but it didn't feel ZOMG! good like everyone says. But I'm kinda lusting over the P226 because it looks sooooooooooooooooooooooo flippin sweet. :( It's just super expensive...almost 2x the CZs price. :eek:
What didn't you like about the CZ 75B? I haven't held one, but I do own a SIG P226 .40 caliber. One thing about the P226, is it is rather large. I have kinda small hands and have to stretch to reach the trigger when it's in DA mode.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
I guess I will alternate the ammo in the clip. Ball ammo doesnt expand therefore you would see it pass thru more inches of flesh.

aim for between the eyes

Once you run out of ammo, throw your gun at it.

onza

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2000
reviews.ragingazn.com
aim for between the eyes

Once you run out of ammo, throw your gun at it.

It will be a mixture of, grab the mace (spray and pray I dont get hit by the overspray)

did it work? no

Grab the gun, shoot it into the air first

Did it work? no

Shoot all rounds into bear

Did it work? no

Last measure, trip GF and run

Did it work? yes

Success!

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
It will be a mixture of, grab the mace (spray and pray I dont get hit by the overspray)

did it work? no

Did it work? no

Did it work? no

Did it work? yes

Success!

I just said "poor bitch" out loud on accident

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
When did I say people would be thrown backwards?

I think he is referencing the below post.

So the crazy F-er who was likely some combination of high and drunk that tried breaking my door down was going to see a gun and turn around? He tried to take on a cop. He was really REALLY messed up. I wouldn't doubt it if he charged someone with a gun.

I bring up a knife, because in close quarters, a knife is better than pistol whipping someone.

No, it isn't. It's going to knock them back.

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006

did it work? no

Did it work? no

Did it work? no

Did it work? yes

Success!

Actually, the more likely progression is this:

It will be a mixture of, grab the mace (spr...

<ACCGGHHHCCHGHGHGHHHYYHHAANANHAHAH!!!!!>

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Bear defense, would you trust Hallow points or Ball ammo ?

I guess it would depend on both the bear and the gun.

If I'm packing a .500 Smith&Wesson or a .460 Ruger, hollow points would probably work fine. 9mm hollow points, not so much. With smaller calibers you'd probably be better off with plain ball and try to hit the spine, heart, or brain.

My first option (unless we're talking about a foaming at the mouth grizzly) would probably be one of those huge canisters of bear grade pepper spray. The reaction from those is pretty immediate.

onza

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2000
reviews.ragingazn.com
I guess it would depend on both the bear and the gun.

If I'm packing a .500 Smith&Wesson or a .460 Ruger, hollow points would probably work fine. 9mm hollow points, not so much. With smaller calibers you'd probably be better off with plain ball and try to hit the spine, heart, or brain.

My first option (unless we're talking about a foaming at the mouth grizzly) would probably be one of those huge canisters of bear grade pepper spray. The reaction from those is pretty immediate.

The gun caliber is 9mm. There is no way in hell i will be able to put down a 300lb charging bear with a 9mm. The main objective is to scare it away before it gets to us. Just wanted to know what the best option with the set of tools I have. I'll have mace, gun, and a knife. Ball ammo it is.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
The gun caliber is 9mm. There is no way in hell i will be able to put down a 300lb charging bear with a 9mm. The main objective is to scare it away before it gets to us. Just wanted to know what the best option with the set of tools I have. I'll have mace, gun, and a knife. Ball ammo it is.

Oh...we were being serious?

+p gold dot. The gun would be your last option since your target (his head) is so small. Aiming for the body would just waste ammo. Maybe a shot directly to the heart if he rears up...but by then he is probably already eating your head.

There is a guy on glocktalk that sells +p+ 9mm ammo. That would be my first option.

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006

whatever ammo you use, make sure you save at least one in the mag for yourself.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Oh...we were being serious?

+p gold dot. The gun would be your last option since your target (his head) is so small. Aiming for the body would just waste ammo. Maybe a shot directly to the heart if he rears up...but by then he is probably already eating your head.

There is a guy on glocktalk that sells +p+ 9mm ammo. That would be my first option.

Why would you use that? The issue is the lack of penetration. Using a hollowpoint would just make that worse.

I'd go with this if I HAD to carry 9mm.
https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=224

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
I just use regular gold dots, not +P.

+p short barrel please

When I first started carrying, I thought low velocity would be better. I was worrying about shooting through a bad guy into a good guy. Now I know that if there is a good guy behind the bad guy, I don't shoot.