YAGT: OMG I love guns

Page 442 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
Oh nice, a fellow Grand Power user. They are good bang for buck firearms.

I have a K-22 and a friend of mine has a K100.

I love his as it has a rotating barrel and has a really nice light single action trigger pull.

Post a range report when you get it in, I am looking at getting a 9mm and the x-calibur is on my short list.

Hells yeah, I wasn't expecting anyone to even know what I was on about. I know Canada has had access to more of their full line for a lot longer...in the US, we've only ever been able to get the K100 and P1 (mk6 and mk7). I nabbed what is probably one of the first ten or so X-Cals in the US, as far as I can tell.

Canbacon

Dec 24, 2007
Hells yeah, I wasn't expecting anyone to even know what I was on about. I know Canada has had access to more of their full line for a lot longer...in the US, we've only ever been able to get the K100 and P1 (mk6 and mk7). I nabbed what is probably one of the first ten or so X-Cals in the US, as far as I can tell.

Very cool.

I didn't realize that the x-calibur had that light of a trigger pull. Definitely report back on how it feels.

As for nickel plating it, do it. It would look awesome when viewing it at different angles.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
Haven't gone to look at these but a friend is asking about them. Any advice. I have 2 Glocks so I'm a bit biased. IIRC, I owned the Sigma for a short while but never fired.

Smith & Wesson SD9VE New Sigma Series 9mm Pistol

GLOCK 19 9mm Caliber Safe-Action Pistol

SIG SAUER P250® 9mm DAO Compact Pistol

He's looking for one to have at the house. I recommended a revolver if the wife was going to need it but the larger capacity is what I think he wants.
Sigma's are pretty much cheap junk from every experience I have had with them...I am biased against Glock (hate the ergonomics) so I say Sig...but as always he should hold then to see what feels good in his hands first

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
This is an old cell pic with the faces blocked out for privacy.

64mq2p.jpg

The guy on the right is me in a better time with my 5.56 Tavor with Trijicon scope.

And my awesome hooka which has since fallen apart. And the girl smoking it is gone too but I really miss that gun...

A future Darwin Award in motion.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
...yeah. I won't say it's not part of why I want it...it's purdy. Lotta CNC time on that slide, not to mention that they manage to take a hammer-forged bull barrel and mill polished flutes into it. I'm no milling expert, but that just seems...difficult.

But the function of the whole gun is pretty one-off and very excellent, so it's definitely not a looks thing. The centerpiece of its function is shown here on an older 'service model' kinda variant of the same gun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9OaXy5u3g0

The X-Cal is just the competition-oriented 5" variant of that gun. Still legal in 'production' classes but has no FPB and has an SA trigger in the 2-3lb range (silky smooth 5-6lb DA). Plus the obvious slide and barrel lightening (with tighter barrel and slide/frame fitment, also).

My only complaint is that they do not offer the two-tone version in the US. I'm already considering what I'm gonna get my slide coated with. Maybe I could just have it chromed or nickeled, because America Fuck Yeah.

But this is still pretty pimp, as-is:

00e98a61_o.jpeg

Yeah, I have been a manual toolmaker for years now, but started off even CNC programming in the early 80's. Just getting more into MasterCam lately and that looks some pretty nice 5 axis milling on the slide.

I've done both on and of for years I guess, usually both at once.

I have the machine I could do that one, still working on programming it to do that type of work.

We had a guy awhile back that could do it and he left, it's being an odd place to work atm. Might move on myself in near future, there is one guy in the place has caused several good programmers to leave.

I'm not going to rant on about that one, does look nice.

Last edited:

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Sigma's are pretty much cheap junk from every experience I have had with them...I am biased against Glock (hate the ergonomics) so I say Sig...but as always he should hold then to see what feels good in his hands first
I think that's what he did. I seem to remember that the sigma was junk but that was a while ago. Looking at the price difference, it might suggest that too.

Glock hater? They work....always. What's to hate?;)

Thanks.

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
I think that's what he did. I seem to remember that the sigma was junk but that was a while ago. Looking at the price difference, it might suggest that too.

Thanks.

Like I said, ergonomics;) they feel like a brick in my hand, but I can't fault their reliability, it's just personal preference is all. The sight picture isn't my preference either, too flat...but they work.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Like I said, ergonomics;) they feel like a brick in my hand, but I can't fault their reliability, it's just personal preference is all. The sight picture isn't my preference either, too flat...but they work.
I'm just giving you grief.;) I like my Star 30M better but if something breaks, I might not be able to get it fixed.

Told my friend to just buy a Kimber. He looked up he $$ and decided otherwise.:D

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
I'm just giving you grief.;) I like my Star 30M better but if something breaks, I might not be able to get it fixed.

Told my friend to just buy a Kimber. He looked up he $$ and decided otherwise.:D

Kimber is pricey, would be better with a RIA 1911...or a tristar/canik t-120, I really like mine:) there's just so many good ones it's hard to choose just one, probably why I have so many;)

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
The only time a Sigma is relevant is when someone just wants 'a gun.' A gun that fires bullets when you pull the trigger. Fairly reliably.

I would not say they are unreliable. Just not even marginally 'good' in any other category. It is the Hi-Point of guns that don't look like Hi-Points. Which, in a retail store setting, usually start around $300.

Buy online, however, and $300 can get you multiple varieties of Turkish CZ clones, a polymer Witness, or other quite-decent guns that surely offer a lot more value than a Sigma.

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
Wait...I'm thinking you said 'home defense gun.' And mainly looking at DAO's or DAO-like striker guns.

Walther PPX. Hands down. CDNN has them for 279 for black and 299 for one with a stainless slide. Chunky but not unweildy, trigger's at least as good as a Glock, and, more important than anything else, I would trust it to work. I would trust a Glock, too, but a G17 or G19 is a solid extra $200 and I like the PPX more.

http://www.slickguns.com/product/wa...magazine-holster-and-dual-mag-pouch-after-mir

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Yep, home defense. He's shopping at Academy, trying to find what feels the best in his hand. Told him to shop for what feels best and then shop for price but his wife already got a gift card.

I'll get him to look at the Walther too.

Thanks.

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
Yep, home defense. He's shopping at Academy, trying to find what feels the best in his hand. Told him to shop for what feels best and then shop for price but his wife already got a gift card.

I'll get him to look at the Walther too.

Thanks.

Academy usually carries the tristar/canik t-120, pretty cheap and a nice little gun

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Academy usually carries the tristar/canik t-120, pretty cheap and a nice little gun
Problems, repairs, etc....down the road. I'd rather steer him to the Glock or Sig. My guess is that it will get fired a few times and put in the lock box for a long time.

I did have one friend that wanted a pistol and never stopped. Pistols, rifles, got his curios and collectors license. Bring a brother into the fold.:D

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
Problems, repairs, etc....down the road. I'd rather steer him to the Glock or Sig. My guess is that it will get fired a few times and put in the lock box for a long time.

I did have one friend that wanted a pistol and never stopped. Pistols, rifles, got his curios and collectors license. Bring a brother into the fold.:D

It's a CZ clone, problems and repairs shouldn't be an issue...but you can't go wrong with Sig, the SP2022 is a pretty cheap intro model to keep in mind, Academy carries it too

Gillbot

Lifer
Jan 11, 2001

Thanks.

I can say the same about Hi-Point but I'd get flamed. o_O

Wuzup101

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2002
Why not just pick up a police trade in (or new) M&P if you were considering a sigma. I'd rather have the trigger on a used M&P than a ANY sigma. I wouldn't be worried about their reliability, but they honestly suck to shoot. Dry fire practice can only get you so much.

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
Broke down today and ordered Meprolite night sights for my Glocks as well as a Glock sight tool. Merry christmas to me.

Canbacon

Dec 24, 2007

So, just went out to the range this morning and found out that they are expanding out to sell pistols are going to be one of the distributors for Grand Power in Canada. They had the whole range of pistols on hand to try out. I'll probably try out the x-caliber the next time I am in.

On an aside, just before I got in, a member got kicked out because he shot the ceiling of the range while trying out the x-caliber. Apparently was being an idiot and he kept his finger on the trigger while he racked the mag.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Kimber is pricey, would be better with a RIA 1911...or a tristar/canik t-120, I really like mine:) there's just so many good ones it's hard to choose just one, probably why I have so many;)

Didn't know you picked up a t-120 too. For awhile thought I was the only one on these boards with one.

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
Shazam. It is mine.

FbVaKT8.jpg

The machining is goddamn gorgeous. The finish on the slide is like polished butter.