YAGT: OMG I love guns

Page 430 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
Agreed; fire it again. After firing, wait 5-10 seconds for a long burning primer, then give it to the range to dispose of. Else, pull out a bullet separator and go at it.

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
Anyone here from TN? Are there any good forums or websites for TN residents? Probably going to be moving there sometime next spring/summer.

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
Anyone here from TN? Are there any good forums or websites for TN residents? Probably going to be moving there sometime next spring/summer.

I'm in Nashville. There are a few other people on this board from the mid-TN area, and possibly some from other areas. But I dunno if any of them peruse this thread.

Forums/websites for what? Guns? 'Cause that's not a very good topic to try and localize. Or are you wanting more like local gun clubs or competitions or something?

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
Meh. If you're not trying to meet people for local events or whatever, what's the point of a local forum? You'll get more varied experience/knowledge/opinions on bigger generic forums, and much better brand-specific info on their forums. CZ, HK, Sig, ect all have at least one big forum. Hell, I've forums with heavy traffic for (IMO) some really incosequential stuff. I'm pretty sure there's a S&W Sigma/SVE forum. Or Taurus forums. I don't dare to look for it, but I'd go a notch lower and say there's probably a Hi-Point forum.

...I mean, not to blanket certain guns as 'bad.' More often, functional, but cheaply-priced and it is often reflected in the products. They WORK, they may even be dead-nuts reliable...but I still don't want them. Anyway...

I have a question for the other ATYAGTers: Do you consider light strikes in a semi-auto handgun to ever be acceptable? Certainly there is a place for guns that will not reliably ignite all (or at least the vast majority of) primers- in competition. It's to your advantage to have hammer (or striker) parts that are on the ragged edge of not working. Light hammers, light hammer springs. Trigger's with no takeup/overtravel, which means they barely have room to break/reset. Ect.

...but for a carry or a HD gun? Would you be confidant in one that appears to ignite all high-quality primers, almost all mid-quality primers, and NONE of the worst Russian primers?

I finally went and shot my P290 for the first time today. For the size (and its purpose), I thought it did fantastic. I can deal with the DAO trigger just fine (more on that later), and you definitely start to notice that for what would be called a mildly bulky pocket gun (>LCP/P3AT but not by much), it has so many good big-gun qualities. The trigger is ALMOST too light and smooth- getting close to Kahr-iness. Smooth, no stacking...but a little TOO smooth, seeming to just be empty takeup rather than actually having an action you can feel.

And there-in lies the problem: it could easily have enough hammer spring added to raise the average trigger pull weight by a solid couple of pounds, along with letting you feel the workings of the trigger mech a little better. This helps me with slow, aimed fire by letting me know exactly where the trigger is and when the break is coming. Helps with SD in that it tends to prevent, or least help identify, malfunctions. Less likely to have an incomplete pull/reset because you've got no tactile feedback.

Having fudged with a few hammer springs on various guns, down to cutting coils and whatnot, I kinda felt like the hammer on the P290 seemed awful soft. And IMO, I was right. It takes two strikes on a Monarch primer. Every single time. Shitty $10/50 Monarch 9mm, with genuine laquered steel casings, is something I always like to have around- it is the #1 widely-available ammo for giving a gun the ol' concrete primer test. I had one or two (unsure) light strikes on range-grade PMC ammo. I ignited all the higher-end ammo I had, but that was only about 20 rounds of various hollowpoints. The true test will be Tulammo, which I did not have on hand. The primers are harder than anything your typical gun range will sell (harder than PMC, UMC, Win WB, Blazer, ect). But a bit more forgiving than the Monarch.

Last edited:

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
me said:
I can deal with the DAO trigger just fine (more on that later)

I had forgotten to expand upon this, but I was reminded just now when I was unpacking my range bag and pulled this target out:

2b7bacb5_o.jpeg

It needs a little explanation to be significant- I went to the range mainly to do a little break-in and testing of this Sig, not to show off the bitchin' sharpshooting skills [that I don't have]. But that little grouping on the top left target has gotta be the most impressive thing I've ever done aside from maybe bullseyes at the same distance...but putting one shot dead center can often just be luck.

All the holes in that target were done at 25m with the last of the 9mm I had with me. The stuff on the right was aimed at the center (or bottom right in the pic) target with my Jericho 941, a full size >4" barrel all-steel gun with a polygonal barrel and about a 3-4lb SA trigger. Basic combat sights, so IMO that group is a bit rough but acceptable, and the inability to get the elevation quite right is expected.

I loaded my last five rounds into the Sig, which I had previously only been shooting at 10-15m. With the short mag, as pictured. A ~2" group only 1-2" from the bullseye*...shit, I would believe that was the Jericho shot from a ransom rest. But nope. :awe:

*you might note there are four holes for five rounds. The fifth...um...well, it kinda missed by about three feet. :\ Suffice it to say, you really have be smooth as shit to not make tiny trigger pull errors that will cause you to miss by a mile at >50ft distances. I believe my low shot was the first, where I always seemed to botch the break.

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
nice

I'm shooting my kahr cw9 tonight, and a friends PM9(I think its a PM) tonight

anyone got suggestions for appendix carry holsters? I have been doing that with my 642 with a cheap $10 uncle mikes and it works pretty well, but the holster leaves a lot to be desired in how it straps, its not adjustable, and it has poor retention

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
What night sights do you use on your Glocks? I've had XS Big Dot's on mine for about 6 months but they just haven't grown on me.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Still loving the Gen 4 19. Best gun I've ever owned.

Did you do/get any mods for your Glock? My 26 G4 is still fully stock with the exception of new magazines (more capacity ones). I am planning to get night sights and "maybe" new trigger but that would be it.

boomhower

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2007
What night sights do you use on your Glocks? I've had XS Big Dot's on mine for about 6 months but they just haven't grown on me.

I got mine with Meps, pretty much the same as a the factory Glock NS's. When it comes to sights I keep it simple and stick with standard combat style sights and keep away from all the other stuff. Line up dots, put middle dot on target, fire. Becomes second nature very very quickly.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
Did you do/get any mods for your Glock? My 26 G4 is still fully stock with the exception of new magazines (more capacity ones). I am planning to get night sights and "maybe" new trigger but that would be it.

Night sights. I shopped every gun store in town trying to find one with stock night sights and they were all blue label. I got a set off Amazon and put them on myself. I also added an extended mag release. My right thumb has some tendinitis issues, so I can't stretch it to hit the stock release.

I would never change the trigger. After shooting so many different guns, I have come to understand and appreciate the Glock trigger. Its dirty for a reason.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
I got mine with Meps, pretty much the same as a the factory Glock NS's. When it comes to sights I keep it simple and stick with standard combat style sights and keep away from all the other stuff. Line up dots, put middle dot on target, fire. Becomes second nature very very quickly.

Yep, I need simple.

I used these: http://www.amazon.com/Ameriglo-Glock...k+night+sights

Though they shoot a bit low. I have to have the center dot a bit above the outer dots.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
I fear this election cycle for WA:
http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2024772841_guninitpollxml.html

I594 basically makes it illegal for me to let someone at the range borrow my gun. And the NRA, until now, hasn't done much to try to sway people away from 594 over to support 591 (which is diametrically opposed to 594.) Worst, is that to enforce 594, a gun register will need to be created.
That is surprising that the NRA (or some other local group) isn't paying attention. Here in CA there is a large lobbying group that has done pretty well (I think) battling the crap that politicians try to pass into law.

Just do what you can to fight the good fight. Without knowing all the details it sounds like 594 is basically unenforceable.

FallenHero

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2006
Finished my build almost two weeks ago, just been lazy about uploading the picture.

Still to add: Optics, Vertical Foregrip, Light. Already know what I am getting for each one, just a matter of securing the funds.

20141021_152655.jpg

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
That is surprising that the NRA (or some other local group) isn't paying attention. Here in CA there is a large lobbying group that has done pretty well (I think) battling the crap that politicians try to pass into law.

Just do what you can to fight the good fight. Without knowing all the details it sounds like 594 is basically unenforceable.

They are. At least I've been getting news blurbs about it in the NRA media I subscribe to for the last couple of weeks. They also made this video (not sure where/if it was broadcasted).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QO5Z-A7DSKs&list=PLyaSPxNidLLsEoViZwGlwfSVh4BNtnAjY

So they're getting the word out to some degree.

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010