YAGT: OMG I love guns

Page 390 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
If I ever buy another single action revolver, it will be a conversion revolver. The really old fashioned look of a black powder revolver with the convenience of cartridges. Reloading a ball and cap revolver gets tedious very quickly.

.38 special so it's cheap to shoot.
ca9081-manw-nonameconv-nosnake-7.jpg

or,
CA9052-RichardsTransMod-8-Horiz_2.jpg

which comes in multiple calibers.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Proper response: stare the sales clerk straight in the eyes...*clack*...put the gun down and walk out the door.

+1

I guess Will probably buy the .357 6.5" Blackhawk for ~475 at Bud's

That conversion you put up there looks very nice too, but I like having one .357 around myself at least, if he didn't all ready have one.

+2

That thing in .357 would be cool, price dependent.

I'd still do the Ruger IMHO.

Last edited:

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
I am very close to picking up a new S&W 625 Jerry Miculek model in .45 ACP. A local shop has one, and I am good friends with the owner, and is willing to let it go at cost.

Very temping

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
Since utterly no one cares, an update on my venture into single-action revolvers continues...

...ugh, I make such poor decisions.

'45 Colt? Very common round, but also comparatively few people firing it, especially when you consider the likely higher percentage of reloaders. That makes it something that I'll always be able to find ammo for, right?!'

...nope. Range had nothing. The big damn GUN STORE attached to them...had nothing.

Went to Walmart and paid 45 goddamn dollars for 50 rounds of .45LC 'cowboy action' loads. Unjacketed 250gr bullets, 750fps. A great range round, but 'pay more for less' philosophy pisses me off. Pass along the cost of the big casings, sure, but don't charge me more for cheap bullets and the powder you left out. Bastards.

Ehhh, didn't you do a little bit of research before buying? Pretty much any revolver calliber over .38/.357 is not affordable unless you reload. Even those two are a heck of a lot cheaper to reload than buy.

When I got my .44 Mag last month I bought 100 rounds at $1 each. But, I'm saving the brass, will get set up to reload them later this year, and will probably be able produce rounds for around $.20-.30 each.

If you've ever had any interest in reloading now you have your excuse...

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
I did a little research into the guns, but not ammo costs. I figured .45 would be a little more expensive but not .44mag-expensive. It's still not that bad. Especially considering everything that goes with an SAA...manual hammer cocking. Individual loading and extraction. Just plain heavy and, though I like the way they feel in the hand (of course), not very ergonomic.

So rounds go a hell of a lot slower than they would through any of my 9mm automatics. If you compare an SAA-style revolver to a 'wonder nine,' I think I would confidently call the former much cheaper to shoot when price your ammo against the time it takes to fire it. Rather than simply cost per round.

Going to a Ruger and shooting .38 would be much cheaper, but I think the combo of .38 plus a gun that's not as intentionally archaic* would simply make me not want to shoot it as much, so the purpose could be self-defeating.

*As roughly stated above, I can confirm that the action of the Ruger feels more modern. For that matter, a new El Patron (the top-end of Uberti's normal SAA's; ~550-600 bucks new I think) also has a lighter mainspring and what feels like a generally more polished action resulting in a loss of 'character.' But the gun itself is heavier and more traditional-feeling than comparable Vanquero. Actually, though, the grips have been slimmed and modified in a subtle way that makes the gun feel VASTLY better than a 'base model.' Better than any of the Ruger grips. I'd like to keep the Uberti I bought, as it's a good basic 'first' for the type. But I may well consider the El Patron over a Ruger if they sell it in .357 (think so).

edit: Oh, and the El Patron has a big flattened hammer spur. Lots of purchase and all very rounded edges. It's a very nice touch that I feel would make me practice hammer-fanning until I broke the damn gun.

Last edited:

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
Going to a Ruger and shooting .38 would be much cheaper, but I think the combo of .38 plus a gun that's not as intentionally archaic* would simply make me not want to shoot it as much, so the purpose could be self-defeating.

A .357 Blackhawk is a great gun. With .38 target loads its recoil is nearly as light as a .22. The weight also makes it pleasant to shoot even max-level .357 loads. Love mine.

IMG_0885.jpg

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
I could not resist bringing this home today. With an in store promotion and some friend pricing, I was able to get my new S&W 625JM out the door for $800.

14008426712_bde562cbc9_h.jpg

Looking forward to seeing how it shoots.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
I could not resist bringing this home today. With an in store promotion and some friend pricing, I was able to get my new S&W 625JM out the door for $800.

14008426712_bde562cbc9_h.jpg

Looking forward to seeing how it shoots.

Very nice. A friend of mine has one. The mooning and demooning tool is a must for our (mine and his) pansy hands.

I picked up a gen 4 glock 20 today. I've been wanting one of these for a while as a hiking/hunting backup gun.

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
Is it just me, or is the cylinder design on that gun kinda funky looking?

Not the back, which I know is a bit different than the norm to accommodate the rimless cartridge and moon clips. But big gap at the front. I was thinking maybe it was so you could swap calibers with a cylinder change, but then I thought- hey there, my brain, herp derp, obviously the cylinder has to stay the same length to meet up with the barrel.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013

Not the back, which I know is a bit different than the norm to accommodate the rimless cartridge and moon clips. But big gap at the front. I was thinking maybe it was so you could swap calibers with a cylinder change, but then I thought- hey there, my brain, herp derp, obviously the cylinder has to stay the same length to meet up with the barrel.
Looks pretty slick to me, just from the pic, I'd like to see whats going on in there :)

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004

It's an S&W, so it's something like a J frame. They make a single frame for say, 10 calibers...some longer than others (357 comes to mind) so if you buy a gun with a shorter cartridge, they put a shorter cylinder in and just move the forcing cone back.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
the 625 is a N-frame, for 44mag, 41mag, the rarer 45LC, and 45acp. the length difference between 45acp and 44mag makes the cylinder gap more noticeable.

the factory 625 with 5 inch barrel and pachmayr grips is one of my favorite revolvers of all time, i really should have bought one before all the active safety nonsense ruined the design.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Just got back from the family property in Montana. Was able to sight in one of my new girls, and generally just enjoy the firearms freedom of a Free State.

I was semi-apprehensive about bringing an AR through LAX since that was what killed a TSA agent recently (due to the choices of a psychopath), but everyone was very nice.

s4kfx8X.jpg

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Since utterly no one cares, an update on my venture into single-action revolvers continues...

Don't assume since nobody directly responds that no one is interested. Keep us updated on all things guns!

Take a look at the views this thread has....people are reading.

velillen

Platinum Member
Jul 12, 2006
Just got back from the family property in Montana. Was able to sight in one of my new girls, and generally just enjoy the firearms freedom of a Free State.

I was semi-apprehensive about bringing an AR through LAX since that was what killed a TSA agent recently (due to the choices of a psychopath), but everyone was very nice.

s4kfx8X.jpg

Please tell me you didnt go all the way to Montana and only shoot (what looks like) 100 yards :) I lived in Bozeman for two years and would love ot go back for some long range shooting. Know a few guys who can shoot out to a mile off their back porch >.<

As for flying with a gun....just like normal TSA it just depends who is on duty that day

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Please tell me you didnt go all the way to Montana and only shoot (what looks like) 100 yards :) I lived in Bozeman for two years and would love ot go back for some long range shooting. Know a few guys who can shoot out to a mile off their back porch >.<

Haha no, I was just trying to get on paper before moving back, as it was that rifle's christening. It was snowing a little but the sun was very bright, and I was using a .223 laser-pointer cartridge, which is much easier to see at dusk and at closer range.

Property is > 50 acres, so there is definitely some room to back up. :p

I moved back to a table about ~225 yds back, and I just couldn't get my groupings as tight as I can with some of my other builds, so I didn't even bother moving back any more. Of course, I was taking advantage of not being in Socal, and sometimes double/triple tapping with a (borrowed) standard cap. magazine, not really trying for accuracy. I ran all sorts of .223 and 5.56 through her, and she ate it up no problem. Even the 5 year old Russian steel stuff.

I also tried to master the art of the no-hands firearms selfie video, but after a few bursts, the phone would fall over. Oh well, cant win them all.

KqcG4P3.png

Last edited:

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
Ehhh, didn't you do a little bit of research before buying? Pretty much any revolver calliber over .38/.357 is not affordable unless you reload. Even those two are a heck of a lot cheaper to reload than buy.

When I got my .44 Mag last month I bought 100 rounds at $1 each. But, I'm saving the brass, will get set up to reload them later this year, and will probably be able produce rounds for around $.20-.30 each.

If you've ever had any interest in reloading now you have your excuse...

I disagree here. I keep looking at reloading and realizing that I can find loads of .44 mag that are cheap enough to make it take a number of years for reloading to pay off. Maybe if I shot A LOT more then it'd make sense really fast, but as I shoot, I don't see the cost savings of reloading a long time (and possibly never, if my time is worth money.)

ammoseek ftw.

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
I disagree here. I keep looking at reloading and realizing that I can find loads of .44 mag that are cheap enough to make it take a number of years for reloading to pay off. Maybe if I shot A LOT more then it'd make sense really fast, but as I shoot, I don't see the cost savings of reloading a long time (and possibly never, if my time is worth money.)

Well, a couple of points:

The main costs of reloading (press, etc) are one-time purchases. The only equipment I would need to start .44 Mag reloading is dies, and even if we consider the savings to be just $.30 per round I'd break even after fewer than 200 rounds loaded.

A lot of it depends on what you want to load. For example most .357 Mag factory ammo tends to be on the anemic side. One of the only places I know of that sells max-level .357 loads is Buffalo Bore, and their prices are about $1.50 per round. OTOH, I can hand load .357 max-level loads for around $.15 per round. ^_^ Same idea for buying vs loading match grade ammo in most calibers.

Finally, if you get into reloading purely to save money, you're probably gonna have a bad time. :) It's really it's own branch of the hobby.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
Well, a couple of points:

The main costs of reloading (press, etc) are one-time purchases. The only equipment I would need to start .44 Mag reloading is dies, and even if we consider the savings to be just $.30 per round I'd break even after fewer than 200 rounds loaded.
lot of it depends on what you want to load. For example most .357 Mag factory ammo tends to be on the anemic side. One of the only places I know of that sells max-level .357 loads is Buffalo Bore, and their prices are about $1.50 per round. OTOH, I can hand load .357 max-level loads for around $.15 per round. ^_^ Same idea for buying vs loading match grade ammo in most calibers.

Finally, if you get into reloading purely to save money, you're probably gonna have a bad time. :) It's really it's own branch of the hobby.

I never found that reloading was $0.15 per round. I'd be reloading 30-06, 308, 303, 44, 45, 41 (favoring the rifle calibers since they're more expensive.)

To do that, I'd need a RCBS rock chucker or similar, dies, case cleaning setup, a stand for an apartment, some way to safely store powder in my apartment and then of course round specific items such as dies, cases, primers, bullets.

In the end, before getting to the supplies for the rounds, I think it's around $500 investment for me, adding in the cost of brass since I don't have tons of brass lying around and it's still not that cheap. I shoot maybe 4-6 times a year presently, and as such it would take me a while to recoup that cost.

marvdmartian

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2002
I also tried to master the art of the no-hands firearms selfie video, but after a few bursts, the phone would fall over. Oh well, cant win them all.

OCGuy, this is made for a tablet, but I'm betting you could either be ingenious enough to make it work with your phone, or find a smaller model for you phone. Set wide enough, I'm betting the legs of this thing would keep your phone standing, no matter how much shooting you did. :thumbsup:

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
OCGuy, this is made for a tablet, but I'm betting you could either be ingenious enough to make it work with your phone, or find a smaller model for you phone. Set wide enough, I'm betting the legs of this thing would keep your phone standing, no matter how much shooting you did. :thumbsup:

Thanks!

Normally I am not alone when I shoot, but it was starting to snow a bit so I was the only one dedicated enough apparently. :p