YAGT: OMG I love guns

Page 360 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
Had today free and went around to some different gun stores in the area. I'll be darned if a Super Blackhawk .44 Mag didn't follow me home. :)

48y980r.jpg

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
Had today free and went around to some different gun stores in the area. I'll be darned if a Super Blackhawk .44 Mag didn't follow me home. :)

48y980r.jpg

That thing is pretty! I'd almost feel bad shooting something that pretty. I

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
That thing is pretty! I'd almost feel bad shooting something that pretty. I

I don't know what wood Ruger uses for the grips but they are gorgeous. Sadly it won't get shot much until I get set up to reload for it. The two boxes of ammo I bought were a dollar per round. D: Even on ammoseek the best price is $0.75 per round for aluminum cased CCI.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
I don't know what wood Ruger uses for the grips but they are gorgeous. Sadly it won't get shot much until I get set up to reload for it. The two boxes of ammo I bought were a dollar per round. D: Even on ammoseek the best price is $0.75 per round for aluminum cased CCI.

I really need to look into reloading. I also need to finish my basement. Might as well build a workshop and a spot for reloading/smithing.

Do you reload now? Would you (or anyone) mind posting pics of your set up so I can get some ideas?

boomhower

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2007

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
I really need to look into reloading. I also need to finish my basement. Might as well build a workshop and a spot for reloading/smithing.

Do you reload now? Would you (or anyone) mind posting pics of your set up so I can get some ideas?

Right now I'm set up to load .38/.357, 9mm and .223. I'm going to be ordering .44 Mag stuff in the next few weeks and eventually plan to do .30-06 also.

It's great particularly for specialty rounds like hot magnum loads or match rifle rounds. For example, if you ignore the cost of the case (since revolver cases last practically forever) I can load hot .357 rounds for about $0.15 each. The only commercial rounds you can get with similar power would be Buffalo Bore and they are upwards of $1/each last I looked. The cost savings are a little more questionable on common semi auto calibers like 9mm, because you will lose brass and that's the most expensive component.

There are basically 3 styles of presses: single stage, turret, and progressive.
Single stage holds one die at a time, so you size all of your cases, then fill all of them, then seat all the bullets etc. changing dies between steps.
A turret will hold all the dies at once, but only one case. So you take one cartridge through all the steps to completion then start the next cartridge.
A progressive holds all the dies and will hold a cartridge for each one. So every time you pull the lever a cartridge goes into each die and a finished round will pop out.

Basically the more money you spend the faster you can produce rounds. Although a single stage press is still desirable for making precise rifle rounds. I went with a Lee Classic Turret since it's a good balance between speed and cost. You're looking at probably $300-400 to get set up with one of them.

This is my setup, it is temporary for now. Press is bolted onto a 2x8, which is clamped to the table when in use.

uWJID7R.jpg

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
If your looking for stainless it isn't bad at all. Just make sure you know what your getting yourself into with a stainless barrel. Give me CHF or Melonite any day.

What's wrong with a stainless barrel? The one in that link is a CHF stainless barrel.

I understand about CHF (Cold Hammer Forged) but what is so good about Melonite?

Also, does the Rail system on AR15 like the one I posted previously gives the shooter any advances over the ones with handguard only (like this one = http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...-length-a2-profile-w-bcg-charging-handle.html ) ?

Last edited:

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010

Phanuel

Platinum Member
Apr 25, 2008
Got my BCM lightweight KMR upper, took it to the range to zero the optics. Shaved 1.5lbs off of my rifle with this upper. Also took the 1911 out to verify if the shots to the left were user error or not. I think the rear sight is slightly off and needs adjustment, and it shoots about 2-3" high at 15 yards but oh well.

9yb71vV.jpg

t18OKDn.jpg

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
Got my BCM lightweight KMR upper, took it to the range to zero the optics. Shaved 1.5lbs off of my rifle with this upper.

How heavy is your AR if u don't mind me asking? With CTR magpul stock and troy buis, no magazine, my ddm4V7lw is about 6.5 lbs.

boomhower

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2007
What's wrong with a stainless barrel? The one in that link is a CHF stainless barrel.

I understand about CHF (Cold Hammer Forged) but what is so good about Melonite?

Also, does the Rail system on AR15 like the one I posted previously gives the shooter any advances over the ones with handguard only (like this one = http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...-length-a2-profile-w-bcg-charging-handle.html ) ?

There's nothing wrong with a stainless barrel. When I looked at the link and saw stainless I was thinking of match grade stainless barrels. For the best performance you have to go through a tedious break-in procedure and are more temperamental in accuracy when dirty. Now for a CHF stainless barrel, don't have a clue if it's like that or if it's like a regular CHF barrel.

Meloniting is essentially a hardening process that makes the barrel last longer in theory. 99% of the folks here me including would never shoot enough to wear out stainless, CHF or a melonite barrel. I don't want nor need a match barrel. All I need is minute of man accuracy not .5MOA.

velillen

Platinum Member
Jul 12, 2006
So I'm thinking of doing this with my bcg and frog lube. Anyone else ever tried this method? I remember seeing another video where a guy did it to his shield 9 as well

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XSTAC1Cx6Pc

I havent done frog lube but heard nothing but good things about it. Just have to make sure your parts are clean prior to use.

I did just order some fireClean which ive heard great things about too. KAC recommends it (not that i trust recommendations from corporations) but it does also get good recommendations elsewhere. between fireclean and froglube it was about 50/50 to which people preferred in a poll i saw. Mostly curious to see how it does vs my standby of hoppes 9

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
So...

The more I shoot the Sig, the more accurate I get with the Glock.

Need better trigger control

CurseTheSky

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 2006
So...

The more I shoot the Sig, the more accurate I get with the Glock.

Need better trigger control

That happens to me too, sadly, with my 1911s.

I'm overly confident with the 1911 triggers, so I tend to end up jerking them instead of pulling smoothly. If I shoot them often, I regain my discipline after a while, but it's embarrassing to be low / left for the first 20-50 rounds. Conversely, I work a lot harder with DAO triggers, so I tend to shoot quite consistent with them.