YAGT: OMG I love guns

Page 320 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
Not at all!
Stripped blemished lower receiver, from PSA = $72 (including $5 transfer fee)
Complete upper receiver assembly, from PSA = $425 (including shipping)
Rock River Arms Lower Parts Kit, from JoeBobOutfitters = $40 (free shipping)
Rock River Arms 2-stage trigger, from JoeBobOutfitters = $100 (free shipping)
Stock kit (Magpul MOE carbine stock, in FDE, with Mil-Spec buffer tube, buffer, buffer spring, etc), from Palmetto State Armory = $80 (shipped free)
Magpul Grip+ system, with insert, from

how do you like the trigger?

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
One should take stories about someone'sr exes with a grain of salt.

He had the scars to back it up, and he was a pretty big guy. There are some pretty good videos online of people shooting various rounds (including .380) through various materials and into water jugs or ballistic gel to gauge the effects.

By comparison, I know a guy that shot himself in the ass with a 9mm trying to tuck it in the back of his waistband and had to be driven to the hospital. And a guy that shot himself in the gut with a .45 trying to holster it and bled to death out in the middle of nowhere. So on my anecdotal scale, the .380 isn't doing too hot. ;)

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
By comparison, I know a guy that shot himself in the ass with a 9mm trying to tuck it in the back of his waistband and had to be driven to the hospital. And a guy that shot himself in the gut with a .45 trying to holster it and bled to death out in the middle of nowhere. So on my anecdotal scale, the .380 isn't doing too hot. ;)

There's no excuse for either of these incidents; pure stupidity leads to either one and both guys paid dearly. When holstering, keep your finger OFF the trigger, and do it slowly and carefully. Remember, if you're holstering, the threat is over and there's no need for haste.

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
Well I actually put it back in and it still wouldn't fire so I just ejected it and didn't try it again but the rest of the session went fine. So it was something up with that round.
If you could actually pull the trigger it was probably a hard primer, if you couldn't pull the trigger then as someone else mentioned the oal was too long and kept it from going into battery...a factory defect

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
There's no excuse for either of these incidents; pure stupidity leads to either one and both guys paid dearly. When holstering, keep your finger OFF the trigger, and do it slowly and carefully. Remember, if you're holstering, the threat is over and there's no need for haste.

Right on...if you are forced to draw your weapon there is/was a threat. You never holster until there is no longer a threat. There is no rush at that point. People make mistakes but that is one time when you should take the time for extra caution.

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010

IMO it's good practice to reholster with your finger your finger laid alongside (but not in) the trigger guard. That way you can protect the trigger, at least from one side, and have a better chance of feeling if clothing has entered the trigger guard. Particularly important on Glock style guns where all the safeties are incorporated into the trigger.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
Right on...if you are forced to draw your weapon there is/was a threat. You never holster until there is no longer a threat. There is no rush at that point. People make mistakes but that is one time when you should take the time for extra caution.

doesn't sound like either of these were self defense situations.

*If* they did happen, they were by careless gun owners and Darwin halfway did his job. When I holster my gun, I make damn sure its free of my shirt or anything else. The last thing I need to find out is how far a +P round can travel down my ass and leg. There was just a story about a police chief who shot himself in the leg at a gun store when he was holstering his weapon. Shirt got snagged and he forced the gun into the holster and BAM. Oh yea. This was the 2nd time he had shot himself.

velillen

Platinum Member
Jul 12, 2006
I guess im weird. The only time i reholster (with an IWB) holster i take the holster off, put the gun in, then put the holster where it goes. I havent reholstered with the holster still in place before. Then again if it is holstered and i am wearing it the only reason it is going to be if i am using it. Now i have practiced with the gun confirmed empty on drawing the gun and during that i would place it back..but never reholstered a loaded gun before.

Of course thats all with IWB...with OWB holster ive reholstered plenty of times.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
I guess im weird. The only time i reholster (with an IWB) holster i take the holster off, put the gun in, then put the holster where it goes. I havent reholstered with the holster still in place before. Then again if it is holstered and i am wearing it the only reason it is going to be if i am using it. Now i have practiced with the gun confirmed empty on drawing the gun and during that i would place it back..but never reholstered a loaded gun before.

Of course thats all with IWB...with OWB holster ive reholstered plenty of times.

You've never had to poop while carrying?

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
You unholster your gun to take a dump? I take the holster off with the gun in it

Yea.

I unholster, hold my gun with both hands, point it at the stall door and scream "COME GET IT MOTHERFUCKER!"

I thought that's how you were supposed to do it?

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
Yea.

I unholster, hold my gun with both hands, point it at the stall door and scream "COME GET IT MOTHERFUCKER!"

I thought that's how you were supposed to do it?
Damn...maybe I've been doing it wrong:\

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
Damn...maybe I've been doing it wrong:\

we had a pretty fun thread about this on Glocktalk.

I suck at putting holsters on. It always takes me 2-3 tries before I get it right. I take my gun out, put it on the sink and do my thing. I grab it after I wash my hands. If there isn't a sink, I will keep it in the hoster and keep my pants up to my knees so that a person in the next stall can't see it. I don't want some idiot cop coming in ordering me out in mid loaf launch.

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
we had a pretty fun thread about this on Glocktalk.

I suck at putting holsters on. It always takes me 2-3 tries before I get it right. I take my gun out, put it on the sink and do my thing. I grab it after I wash my hands. If there isn't a sink, I will keep it in the hoster and keep my pants up to my knees so that a person in the next stall can't see it. I don't want some idiot cop coming in ordering me out in mid loaf launch.
Uhh...so you leave it on the sink in a public bathroom and only keep it with you if there is no sinkD:

But seriously, what kind of bathroom would have no sink?

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
Uhh...so you leave it on the sink in a public bathroom and only keep it with you if there is no sinkD:

But seriously, what kind of bathroom would have no sink?

No. I meant like if its a single stall bathroom where the sink is right by the stall. I guess that would be a private bathroom? If there are stalls, gun stays on me.

IGemini

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2010
I guess belly bands can have a slight advantage with the bathroom. I can slide it up my torso and back down in a few seconds since I'm not grossly overweight.

Need to find a more specialized holster though...was hoping for a White Hat as a late Xmas present but that might be a couple months off.

No. I meant like if its a single stall bathroom where the sink is right by the stall. I guess that would be a private bathroom? If there are stalls, gun stays on me.

Why bother mentioning what's done in a private bathroom that has a lock? No one would see it anyway unless they broke the door down.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
I guess belly bands can have a slight advantage with the bathroom. I can slide it up my torso and back down in a few seconds since I'm not grossly overweight.

Need to find a more specialized holster though...was hoping for a White Hat as a late Xmas present but that might be a couple months off.

Why bother mentioning what's done in a private bathroom that has a lock? No one would see it anyway unless they broke the door down.

because that dude said he never reholsters.
I asked if he ever pooped while carrying
Then someone had me explain my pooping procedure.
Then...

Did you know some people stand up to wipe?

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
Then...

Wait...how exactly can you wipe sitting down:confused:

velillen

Platinum Member
Jul 12, 2006
Then...

nope no need to unholster to poop. Kind why i laugh everytime theres a news story about someone leaving a gun in the bathroom and someone else finding it.

Besides 90% of my poops are done at my throne so i could care less if the gun hits the ground. Probably 5% are done out in the woods hiking/camping/skiing/ect so again could care less if it touches the ground. The other 5% I just take the extra second and plop the holster so it sits vertically against my leg without every hitting the ground.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Been looking for a way to carry wearing jeans. Which means during the winter, for the most part, and a long sleeve shirt.
51oZA6lTTUL._SL1500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Well made. Got the XL, my usual, and it's snug so the pistol won't be flopping about. My Kahr 40 fits easily inside. Don't be fooled by the pic...they only put the pistol part way in.

Downside: I look like a sausage. Gotta lose a few pounds.

Now if I could find something for shorts and a t shirt, my normal attire when not at work.

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
Been looking for a way to carry wearing jeans. Which means during the winter, for the most part, and a long sleeve shirt.

Well made. Got the XL, my usual, and it's snug so the pistol won't be flopping about. My Kahr 40 fits easily inside. Don't be fooled by the pic...they only put the pistol part way in.

Downside: I look like a sausage. Gotta lose a few pounds.

Now if I could find something for shorts and a t shirt, my normal attire when not at work.

How would that not be a pain in the ass to draw? What are you wearing over it?

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
doesn't sound like either of these were self defense situations.

*If* they did happen, they were by careless gun owners and Darwin halfway did his job. When I holster my gun, I make damn sure its free of my shirt or anything else. The last thing I need to find out is how far a +P round can travel down my ass and leg. There was just a story about a police chief who shot himself in the leg at a gun store when he was holstering his weapon. Shirt got snagged and he forced the gun into the holster and BAM. Oh yea. This was the 2nd time he had shot himself.

My company supply sergeant (a staff sergeant actually, prior service marine) got drunk one night and started playing with the a Springfield XD .45 ACP that one of the joes was storing at his house. It was loaded with Hydrashocks. He shot himself through the thigh while sitting down. The bullet went in and out of the thigh and then in and out of his calf, taking most of his calf with it. Bleeding profusely, he ushered his children into his pickup truck and attempted to drive himself to the hospital. He nearly passed out, drove the truck into a ditch and fortunately a sheriff's deputy saw him and took him to the hospital. It took him about 2 months to get on his feet, 4 months on crutches, and a year before he could kind of run again.

When we inspected his house as part of the investigation, we found that he was storing several different barracks soldiers' firearms in a bathtub, all loaded. 6 handguns and 3 AR15s. This, with a 12 year old and 8 year old living in the house. :colbert: The icing on that shitty cake was that the BN CDR felt he had suffered enough, and instead wanted to punish the soldiers who gave him the weapons to store. :mad: