YAGT: OMG I love guns

Page 299 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
It looks like the 42 is going to be under $500 and is not going to be sold for a bit.

I'm in for one whenever I can get my mits on one. In the meantime I think I am going for the P226 Tactical in 9mm. I have finally admitted defeat on the .40 and am willing to pay the higher price for what I want.

Unless it is closer to $300, there isn't going to be a compelling reason to buy it unless you are a die hard glock fan/collector.

As for the xds argument, weren't all those recalled for some massive major malfunction recently?

Lastly, for the argument of using an loader assistant tool, like the Uplula, who the hell wouldn't use one? I got a few of them I was able to buy for at cost of about $4 a pop. Worth it at that price for damn sure. I have a few different calibers for it as well. The few times I forgot them when I went to a range with my handgun made me so pissed off at myself for forgetting. They are a massive thumb saver if you are wanting to be at a range for a few hours and go through a few hundred rounds.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
So I could buy this and be perfectly happy:
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_28/products_id/83361
Already have 3 holsters for it, great gun, just awesome.

Then I see this P229:
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_28/products_id/716006239
That is perfect in every way. But I'm cheap and don't want to have to buy new holsters.

That 229 is a little too overdone for my tastes (and I have a ton of Sig pistols.) The beavertail is just... ick.

The UPS man just dropped off my new Glock 33 to replace a Sig 239 SAS Gen 2 as my running gun (carried in a holster wear PT-2.) Curious to see how Gold Dots run through it, since it's lighter than the P239 and my hand was already stinging with it...

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
notsureifserious.jpg

You live in Michigan, right? Why would you want the restricted CA version?

aaaaah hell

That's what I get for multi tasking. I already closed out the links but its a P229 Elite Dark in 9mm.

Its about $80 more than the 226 and I would have to drop at least another $100 on hosters.

IGemini

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2010
^^I'm going to guess you're still multitasking, because you didn't answer the question. :p

All 9mm P229s have a standard capacity of 13+1, this is the 10+1 model. Even if you intended to get new mags, as a SIG owner I'm sure you're aware that they aren't cheap...another $80-100 on top just to replace the 10rd ones.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
^^I'm going to guess you're still multitasking, because you didn't answer the question. :p

All 9mm P229s have a standard capacity of 13+1, this is the 10+1 model. Even if you intended to get new mags, as a SIG owner I'm sure you're aware that they aren't cheap...another $80-100 on top just to replace the 10rd ones.

No I linked to the wrong one. I would be getting the standard version.

And yes...I am always doing about 13 things at once. ADD is fun for MEEEE

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
That 229 is a little too overdone for my tastes (and I have a ton of Sig pistols.) The beavertail is just... ick.

The UPS man just dropped off my new Glock 33 to replace a Sig 239 SAS Gen 2 as my running gun (carried in a holster wear PT-2.) Curious to see how Gold Dots run through it, since it's lighter than the P239 and my hand was already stinging with it...

Yea...I'm not sold on the beaver but its not a deal breaker either.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
UPS just dropped off a package of 3 packs of Magpul AR15 mags 30 rounds G2 non window for $35 total or less than $12/each (including shipping). Not bad from MidwayUSA.

Edit: Another box from UPS from PSA via the mail room. Several boxes of .223 Geco ammo.

Last edited:

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Nope. Still not legal. Even if the state allows private party, none of the carriers allow firearms shipments unless at least one party is a FFL.

Funny how Ruger was able to ship my firearm straight back to me after fixing it then. I don't have an FFL.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
For reference Terry...

http://www.atf.gov/content/firearms...ons-unlicensed-persons#shipping-firearms-usps

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

Q: May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

The standard post office can't ship it, but UPS and fedex can.

This is how sites like TexasGunTrader.com work. I can buy any gun from any private seller in the state and have them ship it to me through a carrier that is not the United States Post Office. No FFL needed on either end as long as it is the same state for handguns. Long guns can be shipped across states for sales.

Last edited:

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Read their T&C. Federal law is you must inform, and their T&C is they won't take it unless shipper or destination is an FFL.

It's an eloquent catch-22.

Question for you Humble: have you ever shipped a gun like this before or are you just reading about it on the internet?

That's how TexasGunTrader.com works..... so yah.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001

Do you not have pistol sales receipts?

Here in MI, if I buy or sell a gun I have to sign as well as the other party. Its a 3 copy receipt the seller keeps one, buyer keeps one and one gets mailed in to the police department (or you can bring it in).

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Do you not have pistol sales receipts?

Here in MI, if I buy or sell a gun I have to sign as well as the other party. Its a 3 copy receipt the seller keeps one, buyer keeps one and one gets mailed in to the police department (or you can bring it in).

Texas doesn't require sales receipts on private sells. Although doing one is a good idea.

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Ups:

UPS accepts packages containing firearms (as defined by Title 18, Chapter 44, and Title 26, Chapter 53 of the United States Code) for transportation only (a) between licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, and licensed collectors (as defined in Title 18, Chapter 44 of the United States Code), and government agencies and (b) where not otherwise prohibited by federal, state or local law (i) from an individual to a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector; and (ii) from a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to an individual.

FedEx:

Firearms
Carrier will transport and deliver firearms as defined by the United States Gun Control Act of 1968, between areas served in the U.S., but only between:
Licensed importers; licensed manufacturers; licensed dealers; licensed collectors; law enforcement agencies of the U.S.or any department or agency thereof; and law enforcement agencies of any state or any department, agency or political subdivisions thereof; or
Where not prohibited by local, state and federal law, from individuals to licensed importers, licensed manufacturers or licensed dealers (and return of same).
Carrier cannot ship or deliver firearms C.O.D.
Upon presenting the goods for shipment, the person tendering the shipment to Carrier is required to notify Carrier that the shipment contains a firearm. The outside of the package(s) must not be marked, labeled or otherwise identify that the package(s) contains a firearm.
The shipper and recipient must be of legal age as identified by applicable law.
The shipper and recipient are required to comply with all applicable government regulations and laws, including those pertaining to labeling. The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives can provide assistance.
Carrier will transport small-arms ammunition when packed and labeled in compliance with local, state and federal law, and the Hazardous Materials section of this Service Guide. Ammunition is an explosive and must be shipped separately as hazardous materials. You agree not to ship loaded firearms or firearms with ammunition in the same package

So unless Texas has a state law that compels them to accept firearms contrary to their stated policy (which is entirely possible), something isn't adding up.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Ups:

FedEx:

So unless Texas has a state law that compels them to accept firearms contrary to their stated policy (which is entirely possible), something isn't adding up.

Fedex has an OR clause, will shipped between licensed, OR will ship where not breaking any federal, state, or local laws.