YAGT: OMG I love guns

Page 298 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
so a marginally smaller gun over a shield or xds. In 380....think ill keep my xds45 for the quarter inch extra in length and like 3/16th more in height. Though ot be fair i bet next year we will see a 9, 40, and 45 version from glock.

Meh Ill pass

I'm sure your XD is great. I had one and hated it. For me its not the size, its the Glock workings.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Here is my experience in loading handgun and rifle.

I loaded my 12 rounds mag of 9 mm for my Glock G26 Gen4 and the last round or two were the hardest, did have to push the bullet in. The magazine was from Glock and not copied from Korea.

I also loaded 30 rounds of .223 into the Magpul magazine G2 and it was easy as pie. I was surprised that it was that easy.

velillen

Platinum Member
Jul 12, 2006
I'm sure your XD is great. I had one and hated it. For me its not the size, its the Glock workings.

I was more disappointed with glock than anything. I was hoping for something more cutting edge with their reliability. A nice pocket size gun (sorry the 42 is not what i consider a pocket gun even though the glock video he pulls it from a baggy pocket) in 380 or 9 would be perfect. Instead the 42 is just another gun is an area that already has plenty of guns (with more coming out) so thats where i was disappointed. Its one great thing is the weight...which they claim is ~13.5oz unloaded....vs most others being over 20oz.

Especially for all the hype they gave the gun. Guess i just had higher hopes. As for the 42...it wont replace the XDs since it offers nothing over it (in my opinion). Im actually more intrigued by the glock 41.

So now ill wait for the glock 52 that is the glock in a LCP size :)

Last edited:

madoka

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2004
are you happy with it?

I should clarify. I haven't seen it yet. I start DROS in a couple of weeks. Since I don't know anything about Browning, I just wanted to make sure the price was appropriate. Really I bought it on a lark without knowing anything about Brownings, but a bunch of people felt I should have a Hi-Power in my collection.

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
Their other .380s were also heavier and thicker since they were double stack.

Isn't .45 the only thing Glock currently sells in the US that's single stack? That's why I've always thought most their subcompacts were silly...stumpy grip but feels fat as a hog in double stack 9 or 40. Seems like a sacrifice in handling for no good reason.

I've fingerfucked a .45, though (G36 I think?), and it seemed a little less chunky. Just enough to matter. Trigger felt very un-Glock, too (...it was clean and not mushy).

That .380 is disappointing. For that size, it really should be a 9mm...I'm guessing they still can't sell a single stack 9? What changed that allowed them to bring over the .380?

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
A nice pocket size gun in 380 or 9 would be perfect.
There's already plenty of pocket .380s. I don't think 9mms are getting any smaller, so there's also plenty of 9mms that size.

Instead the 42 is just another gun is an area that already has plenty of guns (with more coming out) so thats where i was disappointed.
Yet you just said you wanted them to make it in a size that's even more common. It's bigger than most new .380s. About the same size as the LC380.

As for the 42...it wont replace the XDs since it offers nothing over it (in my opinion).
Is there even a .380 XD? It's a Glock, which matters to some. It's also made in America which matters to others.

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
Nor do you press against the feed lips at all, why am I touching them at all beyond pressing a thumb into the already loaded round to make some clearance for the newly inserted round?

Then I fail to understand what's hurting your girly fingers so much. ;P

I've done plenty of 200+ round 1 hour range sessions. It just doesn't bother me to load mags by hand.

I looked and found a video of somebody using one of these loaders to make sure I wasn't missing something...you're still loading one round at a time. I guess I just don't get it. To me 'speedloading' has always implied not loading rounds one-by-one.

edit: to add to the Glock thing...I had no idea they were making Glocks in the US now...is that how they're able to offer a .380 now?

At first I thought you were referring to the XD and LOL'd at that thought...I've encountered people who somehow don't know that their 'American' Springfield is made in Croatia.

Last edited:

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
It's less effort (per round, at least) to load a rifle mag. But it can take a stupid amount of time to load a pile of 30rd mags. That's not why I make the differentiation, though. Here's why-

M16/M4 (or just 'STANAG') speedloader:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:M16_magazine_speedloader_1.jpg

I'm working my way through a can of Lake City M193, so yeah, the metal thing is nice with pre loaded stripper clips. For loose ammo this is what you want http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001HBHNHY

I loaded my 12 rounds mag of 9 mm for my Glock G26 Gen4 and the last round or two were the hardest, did have to push the bullet in. The magazine was from Glock and not copied from Korea.

You have Pearce grip extensions installed? They allow you to jam an extra 2 rounds in the mag, so it's no wonder the springs are pressed to the limit.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
You have Pearce grip extensions installed? They allow you to jam an extra 2 rounds in the mag, so it's no wonder the springs are pressed to the limit.

No, it was a 12 rounds mag from Glock.

Even when I tried the standard 10 rounds mag, I still had to push real hard to get the last round in but the 30 rounds Magpul mag for .223 was so easy. All of the mags were brand new.

Last edited:

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
I have delicate sensibilities!

I won't lie. .. After 15 or so rounds my fingers cramp up. I have joint issues and loading mags does start to hurt after a while.

At the range I load in 5-8 rounds at a time. Conserves ammo and my fingers.

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
I won't lie. .. After 15 or so rounds my fingers cramp up. I have joint issues and loading mags does start to hurt after a while.

At the range I load in 5-8 rounds at a time. Conserves ammo and my fingers.

Seriously, get one of the UpLULA loaders that were linked earlier. They are freaking magic for loading pistol mags. The only time I don't use one is when I'm shooting with friends and want to force them to burn through ammo more slowly.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
Seriously, get one of the UpLULA loaders that were linked earlier. They are freaking magic for loading pistol mags. The only time I don't use one is when I'm shooting with friends and want to force them to burn through ammo more slowly.

I have one. I only use it to load the last couple rounds in a full mag. I never load full mags at the range.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
So I finally tried out my reloading setup a couple nights ago, well part of it anyway.

Put the press on my computer desk, off to the side, and used c-clamps to hold it. Put on a #2 shell holder (for 30-06) and decapped/sized four cartridges from brass I had previously cleaned with my sonic cleaner.

I used One Shot lube at first (put them in a holding tray and followed the directions on the spray can) but had to put a lot of force on the press arm and the first casing didn't quite make it all the way into the die (I didn't wanna force it too hard cause it wasn't a real sturdy setup). So I lubed the cases with the stuff that came with my reloading kit (Lyman case lube kit) by wetting the pad and rolling them on it, then used a q-tip for the case mouth. After this, the cases resized much easier. Still had to use a decent amount of force but it wasn't too bad. Now I just gotta clean the primer pockets, and start putting all my brass through the sonic cleaner.

The directions on the One Shot can did say to take apart the die and clean it of any lubrication, as well as spray a little into the die. I did not do this. I'm guessing this was why I had a hard time resizing the case I tried? I'm not quite sure how to take apart the die either (Lee die). It would be easier to use the One Shot as opposed to the normal lube, and a bit less messy, and the One Shot doesn't foul up the powder which is nice.

Anyway, I was pretty happy that I was at least able to de-cap and resize successfully. Gonna order a set of calipers later today, along with another reloading book (already have the Lyman 49th Edition that came with the kit), and a primer pocket cleaner. Oh, gotta get some powder too. I got bullets and primers at Cabela's this weekend, but they only had 3031 powder (IIRC). I'd like to get some 4895 (IMR or H) as that seems to be most recommended for 30-06.

Phanuel

Platinum Member
Apr 25, 2008
I'd definitely recommend once you get into this that you get a drill and the attachments for trimming/shaving pockets for it. Takes so much less time after getting all of that.

Oh, and an electronic powder scale is ridiculously nice to have (but pricey for sure).

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
so a marginally smaller gun over a shield or xds. In 380....think ill keep my xds45 for the quarter inch extra in length and like 3/16th more in height. Though ot be fair i bet next year we will see a 9, 40, and 45 version from glock.

Meh Ill pass

Or put another way, marginally larger than a Sig P238 yet 2-3 oz lighter and ~.15" slimmer. I have to say I'm intrigued for pocket carry. I'd like a P938 but they're pricey. A small Glock will presumably be cheaper, and I have no issue with .380.

Last edited:

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
It looks like the 42 is going to be under $500 and is not going to be sold for a bit.

I'm in for one whenever I can get my mits on one. In the meantime I think I am going for the P226 Tactical in 9mm. I have finally admitted defeat on the .40 and am willing to pay the higher price for what I want.

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
So I finally tried out my reloading setup a couple nights ago, well part of it anyway.

Put the press on my computer desk, off to the side, and used c-clamps to hold it. Put on a #2 shell holder (for 30-06) and decapped/sized four cartridges from brass I had previously cleaned with my sonic cleaner.

I used One Shot lube at first (put them in a holding tray and followed the directions on the spray can) but had to put a lot of force on the press arm and the first casing didn't quite make it all the way into the die (I didn't wanna force it too hard cause it wasn't a real sturdy setup). So I lubed the cases with the stuff that came with my reloading kit (Lyman case lube kit) by wetting the pad and rolling them on it, then used a q-tip for the case mouth. After this, the cases resized much easier. Still had to use a decent amount of force but it wasn't too bad. Now I just gotta clean the primer pockets, and start putting all my brass through the sonic cleaner.

The directions on the One Shot can did say to take apart the die and clean it of any lubrication, as well as spray a little into the die. I did not do this. I'm guessing this was why I had a hard time resizing the case I tried? I'm not quite sure how to take apart the die either (Lee die). It would be easier to use the One Shot as opposed to the normal lube, and a bit less messy, and the One Shot doesn't foul up the powder which is nice.

Anyway, I was pretty happy that I was at least able to de-cap and resize successfully. Gonna order a set of calipers later today, along with another reloading book (already have the Lyman 49th Edition that came with the kit), and a primer pocket cleaner. Oh, gotta get some powder too. I got bullets and primers at Cabela's this weekend, but they only had 3031 powder (IIRC). I'd like to get some 4895 (IMR or H) as that seems to be most recommended for 30-06.

You definitely need a sturdier setup. Reloading presses are a little deceptive about how much force is involved. :)

If you want something mobile/temporary get an 8x10 board and cut off about 30" or so, bolt the press to it and then use C clamps to hold it to the table.

Also with One Shot be sure to spray the cases so that it's going on the inside of the necks, and roll the cases and spray them 2-3 times.