YAGT: OMG I love guns

Page 260 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

coxmaster

Diamond Member
Dec 14, 2007
Why not just build your own AR15? Built it with the parts and brands you want, odds are it'll save you money too.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
anyone ever done their own sight job?

All the videos I have watched make it look pretty easy. I already have all the tools except for a brass and plastic hammer, which I should have anyways.

Local gun shop wants $40 to install the new ones. Is it worth paying up or should I give it a go myself?

coxmaster

Diamond Member
Dec 14, 2007
anyone ever done their own sight job?

All the videos I have watched make it look pretty easy. I already have all the tools except for a brass and plastic hammer, which I should have anyways.

Local gun shop wants $40 to install the new ones. Is it worth paying up or should I give it a go myself?

Depends on the gun, but generally it isn't hard. Certain guns (my M&P) have spring loaded bits under the sight so you need to watch out for that but otherwise it's pretty simple.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
Depends on the gun, but generally it isn't hard. Certain guns (my M&P) have spring loaded bits under the sight so you need to watch out for that but otherwise it's pretty simple.

what kind of moron wouldn't put what kind of gun it is they are asking about?

Some people....

(its the P226)

coxmaster

Diamond Member
Dec 14, 2007
what kind of moron wouldn't put what kind of gun it is they are asking about?

Some people....

(its the P226)

Shouldn't be complicated then. The sights will be tight, so you're going to need a good vice and something to prevent scratching. As long as you can swing a hammer and hit a punch you'll be fine, but I've heard a LOT of people complain about how tightly fit Sig sights are.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
Shouldn't be complicated then. The sights will be tight, so you're going to need a good vice and something to prevent scratching. As long as you can swing a hammer and hit a punch you'll be fine, but I've heard a LOT of people complain about how tightly fit Sig sights are.

what about the front sight? That's the only one I'm really worried about. I have a nice vice and plenty of tools.

coxmaster

Diamond Member
Dec 14, 2007
what about the front sight? That's the only one I'm really worried about. I have a nice vice and plenty of tools.

Should be the same, a small punch and some solid hits should slide it right out. I'm pretty sure Sig sights come out from left to right, most manufacturers do.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
BMW/Mercedes Benz/Porche/Lexus = BCM/Noveske/LaRue/Colt/LMT/KAC/H&K

Honda/Jeep/Toyota/Ford = S&W M&P, PSA and Rock River

Hyundai/Kia = Bushmaster

Yugo/AMC Pacer/Matchbox Car/Turd sandwich = DPMS
LOL, so typical ar15.com. The groupthink there is ridiculous (I'm not saying a Noveske or whatever rifle is bad or anything, but it's such a fucking predictable response from that place).

coxmaster

Diamond Member
Dec 14, 2007
If I know how and have the tools and the time, I would.

What I did for my first AR built was buy a semi-complete lower, all I had to do was add the stock of my choosing and drop on a complete upper.

Even if you've never done it before, building a stripped lower into a complete lower isn't hard either, I've done it before using only pliers, a few punches, and some vice grips.

KevinCU

Jan 14, 2009
If I have the know how to put it together, I would love to do it.

$499 everything but the lower and rear sight: http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/16-m4-cmv-chrome-lined-premium-rifle-kit.html

$499 everything but lower, rear sight and front sight: http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ptac-16-m4-1-7-5-56-nato-ss12g2-blackhawk-rifle-kit.html

$59 lower receiver, may have a scratch on it but who cares: http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/psa-blemished-bullet-pictogram-lower.html

Putting one together isn't a difficult process. There are several videos on YouTube that will walk you through it.

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
LOL, so typical ar15.com. The groupthink there is ridiculous (I'm not saying a Noveske or whatever rifle is bad or anything, but it's such a fucking predictable response from that place).

yeah I would be more interested in reading stuff from people on there that have the brands

I have heard good things about spikes and daniel defense as well

Ive shot a fairly nice upgraded RRA one before as well

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Heh I have shot M&P15, Colt, Bushmaster, and DPMS. I thought the Colt was pretty bleh for the money. Surprisingly the DPMS Recon I shot was pretty rock solid.

I think there is a level of snob appeal among any crowd out there. More money equals a vastly superior gun. I have no doubt a 3000+ AR is better than a 1200 dollar DPMS. But is it nearly 3 times better? And for most people that answer is absolutely not.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Heh I have shot M&P15, Colt, Bushmaster, and DPMS. I thought the Colt was pretty bleh for the money. Surprisingly the DPMS Recon I shot was pretty rock solid.

I think there is a level of snob appeal among any crowd out there. More money equals a vastly superior gun. I have no doubt a 3000+ AR is better than a 1200 dollar DPMS. But is it nearly 3 times better? And for most people that answer is absolutely not.

Pretty much my view on it. Another thing people don't understand in the AR snob community is if the AR was not manufactured exactly to military specifications as allowable, then it is trash. Despite that the gun may actually exceed specifications in terms of performance attributes, but is made differently than the "standard" issue.

Phanuel

Platinum Member
Apr 25, 2008
Typically your DPMS aren't even up to mil spec. But please, continue buying trash see if anyone actually stops you.

Feb 10, 2000
Pretty much my view on it. Another thing people don't understand in the AR snob community is if the AR was not manufactured exactly to military specifications as allowable, then it is trash. Despite that the gun may actually exceed specifications in terms of performance attributes, but is made differently than the "standard" issue.

I would certainly agree with that. I don't think there is anything magical about mil spec, and on the high end it can be more of a limitation than a benefit, since in many instances there are higher-quality materials which are not mil spec.

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I would certainly agree with that. I don't think there is anything magical about mil spec, and on the high end it can be more of a limitation than a benefit, since in many instances there are higher-quality materials which are not mil spec.

True for some things, false for others. Quick example, commercial spec buffer tubes are much more prone to fracturing at the rear than mil spec tubes are.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Typically your DPMS aren't even up to mil spec. But please, continue buying trash see if anyone actually stops you.

DPMS is crap for a reason. They don't stake any nuts. They don't polish the internals or feed ramps. They don't inspect for tolerances. DPMS is cheap guns made cheaply but sold at a "modest" price for the amount in comparison to other firearms. DPMS is to AR15s as Keltec is to handguns.

Now say Windham versus Colt..... I'd take a Windham any day of the week just because of the price. The quality is pretty much the same.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
True for some things, false for others. Quick example, commercial spec buffer tubes are much more prone to fracturing at the rear than mil spec tubes are.

Depends on the "commercial" tube really. Many are made cheaper. They don't exceed military specs. Others exceed the specs. Pays to do investigation first :)

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
$499 everything but the lower and rear sight: http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/16-m4-cmv-chrome-lined-premium-rifle-kit.html

$499 everything but lower, rear sight and front sight: http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ptac-16-m4-1-7-5-56-nato-ss12g2-blackhawk-rifle-kit.html

$59 lower receiver, may have a scratch on it but who cares: http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/psa-blemished-bullet-pictogram-lower.html

Putting one together isn't a difficult process. There are several videos on YouTube that will walk you through it.

Interesting.

Since I like the rail better so link #1 is out.

So I buy link #2, then #3 and magazines with ammo plus front/rear sights and that's all I need? I saw a few instructional videos from Brownells and they were nice. Can you or anyone recommend some good AR build videos from YouTube? TIA.

Now say Windham versus Colt..... I'd take a Windham any day of the week just because of the price. The quality is pretty much the same.

Really? Windham quality is on par with Colt? Windham is at least over $100 cheaper or more than Colt from my research.

Last edited:

velillen

Platinum Member
Jul 12, 2006
I always love the mil-spec talk. Mil-spec is just a standard. Thats it. It doesnt magically make your part invincible or produce subMOA accuracy.

Mil-spec is getting as bad as calling anything black "tactical" anymore.

Really? Windham quality is on par with Colt? Windham is at least over $100 cheaper or more than Colt from my research.

Colts carry the name in their price. They arent anything special but if you go to sell an ar in the future a Colt 6920 will most likely hold value more than the windham. Just look around at people selling. Colts hold their value very well and in some cases sell for a lot more than you paid for them. In the spring they were up in value quite a bit more than other brands from what i was looking around

Last edited:

KevinCU

Jan 14, 2009
Interesting.

Since I like the rail better so link #1 is out.

So I buy link #2, then #3 and magazines with ammo plus front/rear sights and that's all I need? I saw a few instructional videos from Brownells and they were nice. Can you or anyone recommend some good AR build videos from YouTube? TIA.

For link #1 they will pre-assemble and test fire the upper before they ship it. I'm not sure if they do the same for link #2 but you can always call and ask.

Mags: http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...-5-56/magpul-ar-15-m16-30-round-magazine.html

Rear sight: http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...ights/magpul-mbus-rear-backup-sight-gen2.html

Front sight: http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...ts/magpul-gen-2-front-mbus-back-up-sight.html

I haven't put together a lower or upper from scratch so cannot recommend any videos but they should all be fairly standard. Make sure you are careful to not lose any springs (place a plastic bag around the part you are trying to fit a spring so that in the case you lose your grip it won't fly off to never be found again).

Phanuel

Platinum Member
Apr 25, 2008
DPMS is crap for a reason. They don't stake any nuts. They don't polish the internals or feed ramps. They don't inspect for tolerances. DPMS is cheap guns made cheaply but sold at a "modest" price for the amount in comparison to other firearms. DPMS is to AR15s as Keltec is to handguns.

That's my point. Mil-spec is a tolerance floor people should accept as the bar minimum. If you're buying DPMS, CMMG, or several other manufacturer's you're refusing to hit at least that tolerance and quality control. MPI (magnetic particle inspection) is pretty key on bolts as they are the heart of a rifle along with the barrel.

I have no clue about Windham, nor do I really care to investigate when companies like BCM are around and a well known/respected quantity. I've never even seen them mentioned by SMEs before.