YAGT: OMG I love guns

Page 230 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
those DHS stories are mostly republican/libertarian sensationalists trying to generate FUD over big govt and police state. there were a couple of articles pointing out the breakdown of the purchase orders vs number of agents/required yearly arms recertification ammo usage/general practice sessions/etc. the ammo usage rate was basically normal and the only thing that made it look excessively large was the fact that the purchase order was meant to cover a couple of years.

I never bothered to research it, because honestly it doesn't matter. If it's happening, not like there's anything we can do about it.

I know the DOD thing is true.

its also because people have no idea how those bid contracts works

that huge $$ number was the max amount that could be spent on that contract.

its up after X years or X dollars

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
Is $1/round after shipping about what I can expect to pay for an SD round? Seems thats all I'm finding looking for 9mm 147gr Federal HST.

not currently in stock, but both sgammo.com and policehq.com have it for about $30 for a box of 50 (with policehq giving free shipping and allowing back orders).

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
Is $1/round after shipping about what I can expect to pay for an SD round? Seems thats all I'm finding looking for 9mm 147gr Federal HST.

Last year I was able to find Federal 147 gr HP's for around $20 for 50. You have to shop around.

boomhower

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2007
That light interests me, I'll have to look into it! How much pressure is required to activate the light? Does it make any noise when activated? I have the stream light pressure button and it makes a click noise if pressed on most of the button except a small edge of the button. It also takes a deliberate amount of pressure to activate.

Doesn't take a lot of pressure at all. Enough resistant to ward off accidental discharge but still extremely easy to use and hold down for longer periods of time. Essentially silent operation. It also has a little lever you can flip up to prevent the button from being pressed. That was another pet peeve of mine with the TLR-1, I kept pulling it out of my bag dead because it got activated. Not a good feeling when I need it at o'dark thirty.

velillen

Platinum Member
Jul 12, 2006
I managed to resist the temptation on both of those. But.... I may be getting a scholarship through school, and if that comes through, I believe I may order a CMP Garand to celebrate. :D

Well eventually you should get all three :)

I've also heard that DHS is buying record amounts of ammo, and DOD has a policy in place to shred reloadable brass instead of selling it.

They have started "baking" the brass to make sure there are no unfired cases in the mixture. That in effect makes the brass no good for reloading since the temperatures used to bake are way to high and effect the brass strength. But other than that they still sell plenty...its just often in lots way to big for most people to handle

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
Is there a good place to buy a complete AR upper online, or is that more of a go someplace local?

boomhower

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2007
Is there a good place to buy a complete AR upper online, or is that more of a go someplace local?

Lots of places to buy online. I'd highly recommend BCM, you aren't going to get higher quality for the money. Keep in mind while shopping you have to buy a BCG group separate. Palmetto State Armory is good but the quality control can be lax at time.

necroskull

Aug 25, 2013
Lots of places to buy online. I'd highly recommend BCM, you aren't going to get higher quality for the money. Keep in mind while shopping you have to buy a BCG group separate. Palmetto State Armory is good but the quality control can be lax at time.

bcm is amazing, sometimes costly but you get every pennies worth. I agree about psa sometimes having quality problems but they always have stock to choose from.you Can't go wrong with either company.

dabuddha

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Ended up getting the Ruger SR1911 from a store in PA and picked it up yesterday locally. My first gun and it's soo purdy! Can't wait to hit the range this weekend.

2m3sfnd.jpg

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
A 1911 wouldn't be my choice for a first gun. They take a bit more attention to keep running optimally but with good magazines you should be fine. Enjoy, it looks good.

dabuddha

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
I tested out 4-5 different types at the range (buddys guns + rentals) and I ended up liking the 1911 the best which is what led me to it. Does anyone have a list of items I should get to build my cleaning kit?

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
A 1911 wouldn't be my choice for a first gun. They take a bit more attention to keep running optimally but with good magazines you should be fine. Enjoy, it looks good.

Its a horrible first gun.

I usually recommend a tapered Ruger Mark III.

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I tested out 4-5 different types at the range (buddys guns + rentals) and I ended up liking the 1911 the best which is what led me to it. Does anyone have a list of items I should get to build my cleaning kit?

How in depth are you willing to clean it, and how mechanically inclined are you?

95% of a 1911 can be taken down with no tools, or a star bit if your grips use those screws. The last 5% is quite fiddley. The firing pin channel, and the mainspring housing are both difficult for beginners to disassemble and reassemble properly.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
A 1911 has a lot more moving parts and points of failure than say a glock or m&p. They are much better shooting guns IMO cause of the trigger but they are more prone to issues from magazines, ammo, feed ramp problems etc. They can be perfect or full of issues and only range time can determine that.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
How in depth are you willing to clean it, and how mechanically inclined are you?

95% of a 1911 can be taken down with no tools, or a star bit if your grips use those screws. The last 5% is quite fiddley. The firing pin channel, and the mainspring housing are both difficult for beginners to disassemble and reassemble properly.

I disassembled mine completely as a beginner. Youtube + good instructions worked just fine. Then again, I'm used to taking things apart and putting them together.

I have a 1911 as well as several other pistols. I like my 1911, but my favorite is still my cz75b baby desert eagle clone. The 1911 is nice and smooth and fun to fire. However, it will wear on your hands and wrist faster. After an hour shooting the 1911 I can certainly feel the fatigue in my hands, wrists, and arms. When I fire my 9mm cz75b for an hour I feel almost no fatigue. I can go all day firing my SR22 though.

Sep 7, 2009
Meh, I think a lot of the 1911 hate is unfounded.

Any modern mainstream 4" or larger 1911 (IE ruger, SW, Springfield, Colt, even RIA) is very unlikely to have an issue. All of these companies are great at warranty work.

And as far as reliability, I have yet to see a truly unmodified mainstream 1911 that was not reliable OTHER than screws ups caused by what I call 'internet gunsmiths'. IE people who watch a youtube video and try to adjust their extractor or trigger.

You simply can't adjust this stuff on a glock, so it is more idiot proof. Plus the 1911 platform attracts 'tinkerers'.

All of that being said, if you line up the "stats" on an excel spreadsheet the plastic guns will win every time. I still greatly prefer 1911s, in part due to the nostalgia of what the platform has seen.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Meh, I think a lot of the 1911 hate is unfounded.

Any modern mainstream 4" or larger 1911 (IE ruger, SW, Springfield, Colt, even RIA) is very unlikely to have an issue. All of these companies are great at warranty work.

And as far as reliability, I have yet to see a truly unmodified mainstream 1911 that was not reliable OTHER than screws ups caused by what I call 'internet gunsmiths'. IE people who watch a youtube video and try to adjust their extractor or trigger.

You simply can't adjust this stuff on a glock, so it is more idiot proof. Plus the 1911 platform attracts 'tinkerers'.

All of that being said, if you line up the "stats" on an excel spreadsheet the plastic guns will win every time. I still greatly prefer 1911s, in part due to the nostalgia of what the platform has seen.
I pretty much agree. People here are acting like he got a gun that can only be operated reliably and taken apart after 1000s of hours of study and practice. lulz

As to your cleaning kit question dabudda, I picked up one of those complete cleaning kits (they come in a little silver briefcase lookin thing) from Walmart, but I have several rifles and pistols so it might be overkill for you. But even so, not a bad deal IMO. For cleaning products I use Breakfree CLP and Frog Lube CLP for general cleaning, Hoppes #9 for bore cleaning, Hoppes Gun Oil and Outers Choke Tube and Gun Grease (awesome stuff) for lubrication. Hope that helps.