YAGT: OMG I love guns

Page 200 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

velillen

Platinum Member
Jul 12, 2006
Sounds like a good time. The weather up here is certainly conducive to the past time! :D

Took the 6 year old up to Plantation Rifle Range today (Whatcom Co.), and surprisingly, we were the only ones on the pistol/.22 rifle range.

As for the suppressor...IIRC Osprey's come with a booster device, right? I would suggest starting with a lighter recoil spring, as it sounds like the back pressure is trying to cycle the gun too fast, and closing the chamber before the spent casing has a chance to be ejected. I'm no expert, but that's where I'd start.

Good luck man. Hopefully this weather sticks around for a bit!

Glad you got the kid out to shoot! it was the same for my dad and I. We had the 100 yard lane all to our selves for probably 30 minutes before another guy showed up. And he pretty much just waited for us before the line went cold. Same when we switched to the pistol range it was just one other couple who as super friendly. We took our time and they still asked us after every magazine they shot if we were ready and wanted the line to go cold. Always nice to have people like that instead of those who just ignore you and you had to make a big deal over going cold/hot.

As for the osprey, im sure its an ammo thing. Going to go try out some reloads and see if that works better or not. If i still have problems then its on to trying a lighter recoil spring

Last edited:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
yGoHD1f.jpg

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
What tool do you guys suggest to use to remove the gas cylinder screw lock from a Garand? I know some Garands can come with that multi tool but this one didn't. Just a big screwdriver? I think the length of the slot in the screw is a hair shy of 1/2 inch.

EDIT: N/m, got a 3/8" screwdriver and it worked like a champ.

Last edited:

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
Need a lighter recoil spring. Suppressor mass slows down the recoil velocity and doesn't cycle the slide completely, thus stove pipes from failure to eject.

basslover1

Golden Member
Aug 4, 2004
Went scatter gun shopping today and came home with a Benelli Supernova. I'm going to try and go shooting tomorrow perhaps.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Is demand easing any? I'd like to go searching for a 7.62 AR-15 style rifle. Impossible to find one a couple months back. But with congress failing to do anything. Any chance of supply catching up to demand over the summer?

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
As for the osprey, im sure its an ammo thing. Going to go try out some reloads and see if that works better or not. If i still have problems then its on to trying a lighter recoil spring

Velillen, like you are alluding to, it's the ammo. 115gr 9mm ammo sometimes has problems cycling due to the back pressure caused by the suppressor. I'd use 124gr or higher when using a suppressor, though 147gr and 158gr would be best given they are both subsonic rounds.

basslover1

Golden Member
Aug 4, 2004
Is demand easing any? I'd like to go searching for a 7.62 AR-15 style rifle. Impossible to find one a couple months back. But with congress failing to do anything. Any chance of supply catching up to demand over the summer?

It's easing up a bit, but finding ammo is still hard. I went to two local places today, and they both had at least 15 black rifles, from $1095 up to $2495 (one place gets over zealous with their prices), but I didn't really look at them because I wont be AR shopping till around Christmas (I limit my self to two guns a year usually and I just bought one).

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
It's easing up a bit, but finding ammo is still hard. I went to two local places today, and they both had at least 15 black rifles, from $1095 up to $2495 (one place gets over zealous with their prices), but I didn't really look at them because I wont be AR shopping till around Christmas (I limit my self to two guns a year usually and I just bought one).

That is good to hear that the store you went into had a supply of black rifles. Hoping to acquire this gun over the summer.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
What tool do you guys suggest to use to remove the gas cylinder screw lock from a Garand? I know some Garands can come with that multi tool but this one didn't. Just a big screwdriver? I think the length of the slot in the screw is a hair shy of 1/2 inch.

EDIT: N/m, got a 3/8" screwdriver and it worked like a champ.

There's a specific tool to use, but a screwdriver works too. If you are worried about scratching, shove a cloth in.

basslover1

Golden Member
Aug 4, 2004
First range trip with the Benelli was successful. I wanted to check the spread with an 18.5" barrel without a choke, first shot at 20 yards put all nine pellets on paper. Shells used were Remington 00 buck.

IMG_20130507_115223.jpg

boomhower

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2007

It is but can certainly vary with location. Also depends on what you want. If your looking at the cheaper end it'll be harder to find but the more expensive your looking the easier it will be to find. i.e. an M&P 10 will be a challenge but an SR25 shouldn't be to bad to find.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Humblepie, thanks for sharing the knives! I wouldnt mind getting a little knife. Do a lot of people carry knives? Seems like it could come in handy for a lot of situations. I like the samurai swords the best. Not so much a fan of the more eccentric ones, though! I always told myself if i ever got rich i'd buy a real samurai sword. Still hasnt happened yet. :p

I carry a knife along with my leatherman every day.

Right now I carry a microtech out the front automatic knife, that I recently bought. Love this thing, though it was a little pricey. You have to pay good money for good steel though.

8722317073_18ca9ecf52_b.jpg

CurseTheSky

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 2006
Man, I'm getting the itch to pick up some kind of old-style, milspec 1911. I already have a Colt XSE Government Model (Series 80) in stainless, and now I think I want something blued with absolutely no frills.

Any suggestions for something decent and somewhat cheap to look for?

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Man, I'm getting the itch to pick up some kind of old-style, milspec 1911. I already have a Colt XSE Government Model (Series 80) in stainless, and now I think I want something blued with absolutely no frills.

Any suggestions for something decent and somewhat cheap to look for?

Sounds like a Remington 1911r1 would be perfect for you, if you can find one. I have yet to hear a bad thing about them.

http://www.impactguns.com/remington-1911-model-r1-wwalnut-grips-45-acp-96323-885293963238.aspx

boomhower

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2007
Went to a larger neighboring city today and stopped by one of the gun shops. They had two Smith M&P 10's for $1500. It was hard to leave the credit card in the pocket. Been wanting one since they released them. Price is a touch high but not to bad.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
That one sells for $265 or so, and the ultratech I posted earlier is around $250 in black, $220 for a standard. Bladehq.com is a great place to find microtechs in stock at decent prices, and they are a great place to deal with for high end blades.

That knife in the pic with the 1911 is the crosshair model, and is my third microtech. They are not as nice as my Chris reeve, but they do make a superior quality knife.

They also make the STG 5.56 rifle as well.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Here are a few of my other favorites -

8722249655_92708581e9_h.jpg

The big green one is my Chris Reeve Pacific, which is my favorite knive. Holds an extremely sharp edge, and is just perfect for a large knife IMO. S30V steel on that knife

The one below it is my Benchmade 635 mini-skirmish, which is no longer made but I do see them come up on ebay every now and then for $250-$350 used. Also S30V steel with all titanium handle. That thing has skinned many deer and elk, and is probably my favorite EDC knife.

The one below it is my Benchmade fixed blade hunting knife, one of their bone collector knife. Nothing super expensive, has D2 tool steel, and is good for skinning and cleaning game.

On the next row on the top is my Microtech ADO, which is all one piece and has a hollow handle. Nice little dagger, and has a really nice sheath/holster. Below that is my newer Microtech Ultratech out the front automatic knife, which is my current EDC knife. S30V steel on it as well.

Here is a pic of that new Microtech Crosshair compared to my amazing Chris Reeve knife -

8725223694_ccfc46ee5b_h.jpg

I have others, but those are my favorites.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Thanks for the info! Like them both, but something about that black one is awesome.

The ultratech? Yes, it is a pretty awesome knife. If you plan to get one like that, make sure otf automatic knives ("switchblades") are legal where you live.