YAGT: OMG I love guns

Page 196 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

velillen

Platinum Member
Jul 12, 2006
O and on a fun note!

sent in paperwork to finally get my M1 Garands. Ordered two service grades.

Also used my new FFL-03 to order a mosin!

BUT the best part of the day,
seeing our POTUS act like a fucking 5 year old and throw and tantrum! Shows what kind of man he really is.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Well with the death of legislation in the Senate it looks like my investment in 10 battle-mags was a bad one after all.

Best. Bad investment, ever! :D

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
O and on a fun note!

sent in paperwork to finally get my M1 Garands. Ordered two service grades.

Also used my new FFL-03 to order a mosin!

BUT the best part of the day,
seeing our POTUS act like a fucking 5 year old and throw and tantrum! Shows what kind of man he really is.

is there video? lol
i want to see that

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
I'd buy cheap ammo right now because there isn't any.
Manufacturing costs haven't gone up by any significant amount since Sandy Hook. At the manufacturing level, ammo is as cheap as it was back in November 2012. All markup is at the distributor/retailer level.

I shot for the first time in 4+ months this past weekend. I fired 60 rounds of .223 (I have about 600 left now - PMC crap. I've got 120 green tipped 62gr stuff I don't shoot.) The range guys and my buddy both stared at me like I was INSANE for shooting ANY .223 ammo. I bought some 9mm off a friend just to try out my Hi Power that I bought and NEVER fired for months. So sure, in this climate I'd buy it. If I had 2000 rounds of ever caliber I owned though - no, I wouldn't hoard any more.
PMC is hardly crap. Great reloadable brass, and it shoots just as well as Federal M193. By that same token, green tip isn't anything special. It's all mass produced military ball ammunition. If you want to squirrel away some ammunition for a rainy day, hunt down some 68 or 75 grain OTM.

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
pmags here

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...ack&groupid=14

12.95 limit 10

And gone.

$259,000 worth of pmags gone just like that.
I have 10 of the windowed M3s and 10 of the non-windowed M2s on the way.

I haven't seen PMAGs for MSRP (and AIM was selling these for exactly MSRP, down to the penny) since last November. Actually even the M3s were going for more than MSRP before Sandy Hook because they were hard to find (and still are).

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Time to buy up pressure cookers, before they pass pressure cooker control laws.

I am just hoping the bomber didn't use tannerite detonated with an electric cap, cause you know they would ban tannerite then.

I have about 150lbs stocked up, but its nice to replace some of it when I shoot a case or two.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I am just hoping the bomber didn't use tannerite detonated with an electric cap, cause you know they would ban tannerite then.

I have about 150lbs stocked up, but its nice to replace some of it when I shoot a case or two.

I'm actually surprised its legal at all.

Unless I'm misunderstanding something about tannerite or explosives in general, it doesn't take much tannerite to make a nice sized blast. I've never used it personally, just from what I see on TV shows and online.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005

I don't think I'd want to keep that much of it.

Of course banning it wouldn't stop anyone with criminal intent since it's so easy to make yourself.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
I don't think I'd want to keep that much of it.

Of course banning it wouldn't stop anyone with criminal intent since it's so easy to make yourself.

No, but I would prefer if I can just pick it up at ace hardware like I do now rather than go through the effort of making it.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
I'm actually surprised its legal at all.

Unless I'm misunderstanding something about tannerite or explosives in general, it doesn't take much tannerite to make a nice sized blast. I've never used it personally, just from what I see on TV shows and online.

2lb did this, stuffed into a rotten hole in the tree. I should have put something there for scale, but that tree was more than 3 1/2 ft thick at the base.

6242258747_0991a441f3_b.jpg

NuroMancer

Golden Member
Nov 8, 2004
Well not much you can do when buying online. They tell you up front they are not matching serial numbers so thats out. Only real thing you could ask is what sort of condition they are in. Any rust? Stock conditions (ie dings, scratches, gouges, ect)? Has it been counter bored? Other than that i cant really think of anything to ask.

I have seent hose sniper packages for like 550 (i think it was) at Big 5 and Cabelas before if you have a store near you and dont mind waiting for one to come in stock.

This was somewhat interesting as well.

http://psmilitaria.50megs.com/mosin.html

Did some more shopping (limited to Canadian stores) and found these.

BlitzPuppet

Platinum Member
Feb 4, 2012
I have seent hose sniper packages for like 550 (i think it was) at Big 5 and Cabelas before if you have a store near you and dont mind waiting for one to come in stock.

Those Snipers you are talking about are post-war reproductions. Fakes with post war scopes. I've owned one, they are just regular infantry grade rifles that have been drilled and tapped with aftermarket mounts. Nothing special and not as accurate as a real sniper would have been.

Not sure if the linked page was real or not as the sources of real ones are the MOLOT exported (AIM, Classic, IO/RTI), ATIs that have been gone for about a year, or the ones from RGuns.

velillen

Platinum Member
Jul 12, 2006
is there video? lol
i want to see that

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...l-white-house-reaction-to-gun-control-defeat/

Video and text if you are like me and cant stand listening to him talk. I just cant get over how he calls the NRA liars and spreading false information and yet he is there, in the same speech, spewing lies and false information himself. I wish just once i could go to a press conference and call him out on it. But i dont think i could pretend to be a anti-gun journalist long enough for that to happen, since we all know pro gun guys dont get invites :)

Those Snipers you are talking about are post-war reproductions. Fakes with post war scopes. I've owned one, they are just regular infantry grade rifles that have been drilled and tapped with aftermarket mounts. Nothing special and not as accurate as a real sniper would have been.

Not sure if the linked page was real or not as the sources of real ones are the MOLOT exported (AIM, Classic, IO/RTI), ATIs that have been gone for about a year, or the ones from RGuns.

See i was hoping someone who knew Mosin's would chime in! I dont know much about them so didnt know about the reproductions or anything! I stick to just the plain cheap ones :)

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...l-white-house-reaction-to-gun-control-defeat/

Video and text if you are like me and cant stand listening to him talk. I just cant get over how he calls the NRA liars and spreading false information and yet he is there, in the same speech, spewing lies and false information himself. I wish just once i could go to a press conference and call him out on it. But i dont think i could pretend to be a anti-gun journalist long enough for that to happen, since we all know pro gun guys dont get invites :)

haha, so ridiculous. lies and blaming it on politics, etc. still parading the families of Newtown victims also.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Was Parks and Rec episode tonight making fun of the constitution and people who defend the constitution?

Seemed that way to me. especially with the political climate around the 2nd amendment right now.

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
xyvDSlH6P3vdafinsJn7Es3X5Cz3Vcv_pbbcvsX-OZ8

B4Q8suVq2vcBn6HGptD-EZyyOuMfK-yZuzLjBDY0gg0

iXrmnefaXgDkOWyai5JKXdvhmJ4AJaABR5oL4VtGxz8

:biggrin:

In the mail are 20 Gen 3 window pmags, another 420 rds of M855 5.56mm, and a bunch of other shit I lost track.

Last edited:

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
Trade some of that ammo for a new gaming console.

You mean like these?

fy5Unplx6-r8FazX_0doOX2Bg6bQDkAwAnXN49ydwYI

The only thing I DONT have is a Wii U.

But you can pry my SNES out of my cold dead hands. I have SNES games that are worth more than a new XBox/PS3 :awe:

Last edited:

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
Very few ammo backorders I've placed have shipped; here are the backorders still outstanding:

6500 rounds 5.56
15000 rounds 7.62x39
5000 rounds 9mm
6500 rounds 5.45x39

I have a feeling the Russian calibers will ship first.

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
Judging by what I've seen on shelves the last 4 months, I need a .30-06 and a .38 spl. since those seem to be the calibers nobody has/wants when "SHTF" as our little "test" the last 4 months have shown.