YAGT: OMG I love guns

Page 130 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
From what I've seen... if you're not standing there as they unpack the box and slide it into the case, you're not finding a 9mm 100 pack in stock anywhere.

This^^^

see my rant when it comes to trading ammo with idiots that don't realize how much of a pain in the ass it is to buy at retail right now.

velillen

Platinum Member
Jul 12, 2006
People looking to trade firearms and firearm related items crack me up!

I've been perusing Texasguntrader website for awhile now. I got a bit of excess ammo I wouldn't mind trading for a firearm. I'm not even talking the ones in demand right now. For example this one guy is wanting to trade his Marlin 60. He's trying to trade it at a value of $200. I'm like man, it goes for $160 + tax new from Bass Pro shop. Why would I value your used and dinged up gun that might not have any warranty left for MORE than a new version of the exact same firearm?

So I talk him down to a value of $150 for it. But he will ONLY value my ammo at pre-panic prices. LOL. Let's see... no. He only values for example a box of 20 rounds of 5.56 for $5. What the hell is that crack smoker thinking? You can't buy it ANYWHERE at that price. Even if you manage to get decent prices, if you order online it's something that will be placed on backorder for months. OR you have to camp out select retail stores every morning and hope you get lucky. The time investment from retail stores is huge since all of them are limiting how much you can purchase even when they have them in stock.

For 5.56, the cheapest I'm buying the rounds is about $10 for a box of 20 + tax. So about $11 a box. Some of the other brands go for more. I then factor in a bit of my time and gas money investment to that box and I put it at $13. I don't think that's unreasonable at all.

Oh well. Idiots will be idiots I guess.

People tend to be idiots is what I've discovered. Either way over value their guns or are just in reasonable. Like people selling ruger 10/22s for 400 bucks....on something they got for 250....

Luckily the two main forums I buy from the guys are all easy going and actually fair. Bought some brass the guy wanted 80 bucks for. I offered him two bricks of 22 for it and cash and he just said he'd do it for the two bricks since that was their current price pretty much. Nice to deal with people like that who are understanding.

Now if I sell on another forum or gunbroker.....screw it ssell it for as Mich as I can haha.

And jiist be careful kazaam.....their website isn't always up to date

onza

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2000
reviews.ragingazn.com
Hey all,

Question on the grouping picture below. Do you think my sights are off or do you think my aim is being jerked per shot?

Gun: Walther PPS, 8 rounds of S&B 9mm @ 7yrds
pps-feb13.jpg

Last edited:

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Swung by a couple Walmarts this morning. Both are enforcing the 3 box limit from corporate. One was out of everything worth buying. The other had some Federal .223 for $8/box. Again, with the 3 box limit, you're buying enough ammo for a single range trip (if that).

I'll still pick up a few boxes from Walmart when I can, but obviously all the action is going to be online at this point. Midway and AIM still have decent quantity limits (500-1000 rounds).

Spike

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2001
Swung by a couple Walmarts this morning. Both are enforcing the 3 box limit from corporate. One was out of everything worth buying. The other had some Federal .223 for $8/box. Again, with the 3 box limit, you're buying enough ammo for a single range trip (if that).

I'll still pick up a few boxes from Walmart when I can, but obviously all the action is going to be online at this point. Midway and AIM still have decent quantity limits (500-1000 rounds).

Midway I understand but is AIM worth it? Every time I have found something worth buying they want some crazy amount to ship it. Either they gouge or are complete morons because those shipping costs are not realistic. I worked at UPS for 7 years and part of that was working with BD on pricing schemes. Any business that ships more than a few packages a month, and I'm sure AIM does, can get decent shipping discounts.

Oh well, I'm most done with the ammo buying right now anyway. When my last few shipments come in I'll have 2.5k 7.62x39 and 7k .22, the only calibers I really care about right now. I know, compared to you that's a drop in the bucket ;)

velillen

Platinum Member
Jul 12, 2006
Midway I understand but is AIM worth it? Every time I have found something worth buying they want some crazy amount to ship it. Either they gouge or are complete morons because those shipping costs are not realistic. I worked at UPS for 7 years and part of that was working with BD on pricing schemes. Any business that ships more than a few packages a month, and I'm sure AIM does, can get decent shipping discounts.

Oh well, I'm most done with the ammo buying right now anyway. When my last few shipments come in I'll have 2.5k 7.62x39 and 7k .22, the only calibers I really care about right now. I know, compared to you that's a drop in the bucket ;)

I agree with aim. Their shipping is just stupid. I'm not expecting free but when I can order pretty much the same thing (weight and quantity wise) from say sgammo for half the shipping fees....I just don't see the point. I'll wait for it to be in stock somewhere else for cheaper

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Hey all,

Question on the grouping picture below. Do you think my sights are off or do you think my aim is being jerked per shot?

Gun: Walther PPS, 8 rounds of S&B 9mm @ 7yrds
pps-feb13.jpg

It is usually almost always the shooter. Maybe it is just your eyes though and sights can always be adjusted for you. First thing you should have done is asked someone else at the range to throw a few rounds down to see what happens.

Spike

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2001
It is usually almost always the shooter. Maybe it is just your eyes though and sights can always be adjusted for you. First thing you should have done is asked someone else at the range to throw a few rounds down to see what happens.

Yeah, having someone else shoot it always seems to help show what the issue is. When I first got my sig mosquito (have since sold it) I could not hit anything with it. I lent it to my father in law and he promptly put 10 rounds in a ~1" group at 15 yards. Not match worth but certainly accurate enough that I knew it was not the gun.

I use him as my benchmark whenever I get a new firearm now :biggrin:

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
I don't look at "shipping" costs as separate from item price. The price shipped is the cost of the item.

AIM has low item costs but high shipping costs, and in the end it turns out to be a wash compared to outfits like Midway or SGAmmo that have higher item costs and lower shipping costs.

I picked up something *really* exquisite today. I'll work on taking some excellent pics later tonight, but for now, here's a hint: it's finished in FDE.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
I don't look at "shipping" costs as separate from item price. The price shipped is the cost of the item.

AIM has low item costs but high shipping costs, and in the end it turns out to be a wash compared to outfits like Midway or SGAmmo that have higher item costs and lower shipping costs.

I picked up something *really* exquisite today. I'll work on taking some excellent pics later tonight, but for now, here's a hint: it's finished in FDE.

You got an early IWI Tavor in FDE? Hey, you said *really* exquisite.

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
Alright I'll have to back off my "really exquisite" comment, ya'll have taste that is too rich for my blood ;) Especially in this market.